If Goff is your guy, when do you extend him?

He does? Hasn’t he already done that? Hasn’t he orchestrated like 3 top ten offenses already to date?

1 Like

I resign him sooner rather than later, each year you wait the price keeps going up. If it’s 35 million per now, it’s 40 milluon per next year, and so on.

1 Like

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion.
We have Constitutional Right to be wrong.

1 Like

So are saying… using this logic… that using stats to look at incoming draftees, that we should not care about anything they did anywhere else? If Mahomes was coming to Detroit, would you be ‘blah’, because no one should care what he did anywhere else?

I know that’s not actually what you’re thought process is… but it seems to me that’s the logic you certainly implied

2 Likes

Putting all that together, I’m more and more convinced McVay just needed a scapegoat for his ego

4 Likes

The Detroit Lions are now his worst nightmare, come true.
He has the QB we broke and we fixed the QB he broke.

3 Likes

Well obviously college to NFL means you can’t give them a contract extension because they’re signed to rookie deals based off of their draft slot.

Again I’m talking about an extension to a contract.

The odds of Mahomes failing here are very low if he was to come here, and I wouldn’t be ‘blah’ about the move. If they were to give him a $40M APY extension before he shows us that he can be successful here (*cough Russell Wilson), then I’d be a little skeptical, but Mahomes is a generational player and Goff isn’t so the situation isn’t totally the same.

1 Like

I agree. Who knows what Goff’s play going to look like 2 years from now. Honestly, by investing in a qb with potential you’re essentially protecting yourself for the future. This isn’t hating on Goff but possibly extending our window to contend.
If not Richardson i still would like to see us take a qb who could be a starter in 2 years.

4 Likes

I understand your point, however, I do think, perhaps you are to be fair to you, that you need to also consider that two members of the front office deciding on Goffs extension have been with him from his first day in the NFL.

My point being, their history is from day one of Goff’s NFL career and I believe the extension, for them, will include those years in LA as part of the justification. May make this case unique.

2 Likes

If Mahomes were to come here next year, he would be the same age as Goff is now, which is according to a lot of opinions way to old.

We’re not drafting a ******* qb this ******* year. (In the ******* 1st round)

3 Likes

Umm……he won a SUPER BOWL with that QB

1 Like

This isn’t goff’s rookie year. We have more than enough film on him, both good and bad, to wonder if he’s indeed grown into his potential or if that’s being masked by a very good coordinator. Especially when you’re looking at a $200m extension. I’d rather not get stuck in a Kyler Murray or Russell Wilson situation. I truly hope Goff is our quarterback long term. I think he’s grown as a player and leader. It doesn’t mean I still don’t have questions or reservations though.

2 Likes

Geno is 32 and has had 1 good season out of 9 as an NFL starter. He’s never won a playoff game. His career QB rating is under 84.8.

Goff is 4 years younger. Has only been below Geno’s average his rookie season. His rating has been 90 or above 5 of his 7 years in the league. He’s got 3 playoff wins and a QB rating of 92.8.

It cracks me up that so many national media types still have the Lions as a team that should draft a QB and Seattle not going QB.

9 Likes

We agree on the extension. Case closed.

1 Like

For everyone who wants to replace Goff, just say it. Grow some damn balls. Stop sugar coating it.

2 Likes

It might help if you read and process everything the man said…IJS :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Idk man. My doubts were based on my observations of watching and rewatching Goff play for the lions last year.

There’s some serious gaslighting going on in these Goff threads. But w.e.

2 Likes

No kidding. Too much fence-riding will chafe.

The Lions either have a franchise QB or they don’t.
They’re either building around him or not.
They’re either going to extend him or not.
They’re either taking QB off the top of their board or not.

If you are not willing to extend, then you don’t like Goff as a franchise QB.

If you are willing to draft a QB at the top of the draft, then you don’t like Goff as a franchise QB.

“don’t like as a franchise QB” = not a franchise QB

Not trying to be a jerk, but there’s really no logic that embraces Goff as a franchise QB that includes moving on from him in the next 6 years. Think it through. If you land at a spot that says you’re eyeing other QBs now, that’s ok, just own it. He’s a bridge in that case. If that’s where you’re at, so be it. Maybe another year will settle things.

2 Likes

Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

1 Like