If Goff is your guy, when do you extend him?

You mean the jibberish where you say a little bit of everything?

Is this being applied to fans on this board or the Lions’ front office?? Because if its fans on this board then you are completely wasting your time. Nothing that any fan says, yay or nay, has any bearing on what the Lions’ front office will or won’t do. So to tell a group of fans to make up their collective minds of what side of the fence they are on with Goff is moot. THE LIONS have to decide that and it sounds to me like they already have. Goff is here to stay…whether Lions fans want it or not.

1 Like

After he wins the Super Bowl next year!

1 Like

You call it gibberish because it’s a contest to you to see who’s the smartest man in the room. The man said Goff proved him wrong. That should be the bottom line if there is any. But the fact that he said Goff proved him wrong went right over your head because, well or course, you have to remind him of how much smarter you are than he is.

2 Likes

Exactly.

But, yes, I am telling fans to get off the fence, even though it doesn’t really matter.

But again…you are wasting your time with telling them that. I think the big hang up is not if Goff is a more than capable QB. The question is about extension…are you gonna pay him 40+ million a year?? Me personally…I need to see more than what I have seen for that to happen, even though Goff has played at a high level.

3 Likes

Ok. Allow me to elaborate. I’m good with Goff being our franchise quarterback unless somehow a clear better option falls into our lap. Say for some reason we have the option to draft a Manning caliber quarterback. Outside of that clear upgrade I’m sticking with Goff.

1 Like

We don’t have that option. So we either stick with Goff or bring in someone who is not Manning to replace him.

1 Like

Why does it have to be one or the other? I can root for Goff to succeed while still having some reservations. Goff was up and down under mcvay. He was awful under a bad coordinator with Lynn. And he’s been great under a very good coordinator in Johnson. Before we get buried under a $200+ million dollar extension I’d just like to know if Goff has grown into his talent. Will he succeed with a new coordinator or fall back into old patterns of up and down play?

1 Like

That’s what I’m saying. There isn’t an upgrade to Goff in free agency or the draft. So you stick to him. If the situation presents itself next year or down the line then you re-evaluate. But I wouldn’t extend goff’s contract before 2024.

1 Like

Sorry, I forgot you have been one of the more level headed guys when it comes to Goff. Many of the other guys who say something similar don’t actually mean it the way you mean it. They know they don’t want Goff, so they throw it out there as “well if there happens to be an upgrade available, we should look into it.” Meanwhile they are touting damn near any warm fish with an arm as an upgrade to Goff. So its really just saying to move on from Goff and roll the dice with someone new.

2 Likes

Goff played at a pro bowl level this entire season. You don’t replace a guy like that unless you’re in a situation where you can’t pass up a generational talent. If we had the first pick and arch Manning was sitting there having lived up to all the hype then you have to pull that trigger. There’s nowhere near that kind of talent available. Why would anyone want to rock the boat and mess with the chemistry of this team just to roll the dice on a what if?

Because they already have their mind made up about Goff and nothing is going to change it. Its why I make fun of some of them. They are simply moving the goalposts to different markers as Goff continues to play well.

From day one people were complaining that Goff would win too many games and it would keep us from drafting high enough to get a QB to replace him. :rofl:

2 Likes

So the question is…Peabody…are you extend Goff and pay him 40+ million a year?? If you want guys to lay their nuts on the line then surely you can do the same…right??

To me (after listening to Michael Lombardi) it always comes down to whether or not you have a Franchise QB. It’s binary. If you do, you’re not “upgrading”. If you don’t, whoever you have is merely a bridge. There’s a certain level of play you get from a QB that establishes him as your franchise guy, which then enables you to build the rest of your roster.

Brad has his franchise guy. I think that’s clear. As I’m discussing it here in the thread, it’s really just to drive home the reality that the Lions are not in the market for a starting QB. Not in FA, not in the draft. They’re settled at QB and can commit their resources to building out the roster.

Ben Johnson just re-upped after reports connected him to Carolina as a head coach. Who thinks there’s any question in his mind who the QB is? If he wanted to groom a young QB, he could have done that in Carolina as a head coach.

So, you know it, I know it and we all ~should~ know it, but we keep reading mocks and tossing it around as though QB is actually in play.

4 Likes

Yes I’m paying Goff.

charlie sheen baseball GIF by Morgan Creek

2 Likes

And there is nothing wrong with that! :100:

2 Likes

I’m sure it’s obvious from past posts, but I’m ready to pay Goff whenever.

I think the odds of any quarterback in the next few drafts equaling or surpassing Goff are slim.

More importantly, since the goalposts have been moved from performance to money, I think it’s lottery-type odds that any upcoming prospect equals or surpasses Goff while still on a rookie contract.

Most importantly, I think my man Holmes has always been a fellow Goffling. I think JG had way more rope with Brad than most here were willing to give him, and don’t think he’s actually thinking about starting quarterback other than deciding when makes the most sense to do an extension.

2 Likes

You run a risk either way.

Either you pay Goff now and the potential risk is his performance declines from the outstanding year he had.

Or you wait and the cost likely goes way up and he could walk away.

1 Like

As @DeadStroke said, no QB is going to reset the market this offseason. It’s likely that waiting a year will have a minimal affect on his per year salary. I definitely don’t think Goff is walking away from THIS team with THIS staff. I’ve never been able to say that in the 20 years I’ve been a Lions fan… I always just assume we’re going to lose our best players, or overpay them and then they get hurt like Levy.

I’m in the camp of wait one more year, I really don’t think Goff is the guy who will hold a team hostage when negotiating a new contract. I even think he’d consider a more team friendly deal rather than hold out for max dollars.

His current deal places him @ #11 in average money per year… By next offseason he’ll probably be #13-15. I have to assume he’s not going to try and crack the top 5, so no matter when he signs, he’ll get $40-45 million per year.

The cap is going to go way up starting 2024, I think he signs then for around 15% of the cap ~$40 million/year.

1 Like