If Goff is your guy, when do you extend him?

Where does Lamar Jackson fall in your thinking? He’s up for a new deal.

I believe the Bengals are still cash poor, so they will probably give Burrow a HUGE number but it won’t have as many of the immediate guarantees as some of the other deals. It won’t be “pay as you go” but it will probably have some creative accounting in it to keep the Bengals from having to put aside ass loads of cash in escrow.

Lamar basically turned down $42 million/year mostly bc it wasn’t fully guaranteed like Watson’s. I think Lamar will get $45 million/year, not sure it will be from the Ravens though… I think Burrow will get around that number as well, unless they win the SB this year.

1 Like

Is that commentary on ownership in general, or is there something else going on there?

1 Like

To answer the original question, if I were Holmes I would not worry about Goff until next offseason. He is under contract for 2 more seasons, and the normal method most teams take is to extend someone going into or right after their final year under contract. So that puts him into discussions for next year.

Now with that said I agree that based on what we saw out of Goff this season there is no reason to make plans to move on from him. Though it also doesn’t mean that the Lions should ignore the QB position. As of this moment I do not have any confidence that the guys behind Goff can do anything more then trying to not look like a dumpster fire on the field. I also do not like who may be available in FA over the next 2 offseasons as potential backups. With that said I would like the Lions to draft a QB to develop either as a solid backup. Now where in the draft the Lions might decide to make that move I have no guess, and the same can be said for who that might be, or even if it is this year or the next. IMO Holmes is looking long term at this roster and I believe that if he sees someone that he and MCDC believe can be a future contributor to this team they will get him.

2 Likes

It might be worth mentioning, that Greg Roman, the guy who built the Lamar Jackson offense in Baltimore… Just walked away from the team

2 Likes

Dont be surprised if jackson and roman end up in indy

2 Likes

Not all organizations are in the same situation financially. The Bengals literally just got their first indoor practice facility. That is something the local college had but they didn’t. The NFL provides enough money to keep operations going without a problem. But when it comes to large capital outlays, that is more on the owner and how deep his pockets are. The Bengals owner is not a guy burning $100 bills for fun.

Anytime there is a guarantee in a contract that money has to be immediately put into an escrow account. So even though the guarantee might not be due until years from now, it comes out of the owner’s pocket immediately. When the Patriots and Jags went on those spending sprees and had around $200M in guarantees to free agents, the owner’s had to pony up the money immediately.

Here is an article talking about it, and as luck would have it I found one specific to the Bengals situation.

https://atozsports.com/cincinnati/cincinnati-bengals-news-nfl-rule/

1 Like

I knew that from earlier discussions.

I was wondering if the “cash poor” comment was referring to a liquidity problem because Mike Brown isn’t the billionaire that most current owners are or if there was something else in the Bengals organization that led to the “cash poor” characterization, though I didn’t ask it very clearly.

1 Like

He’s one that I forgot about. He will probably get similar to Burrow??

1 Like

I think the Jackson and Burrow deals are going to look completely different, at least in the details. Lamar seems to be hell bent on guaranteeing every single dollar possible the minute he signs. I don’t think the Bengals have that kind of cash on hand, or at least won’t want to sock it away. So I think the structure is going to be substantially different between the deals. Which might also push Burrow’s dollar value higher and Jackson’s a little lower to account for the day 1 guarantees.

That’s just thinking off the top of my head about the 2 situations.

2 Likes

Jackson seems to be using the D Watson deal as the foundation for all the dollars guarranteed. I just don’t see the Ravens doing this when you add in how many hits Jackson takes and he has been injured on top of it. Lot of risk to guarrantee every dollar.

1 Like

The way I look at it is they either pay it or he goes to a team that will pay it, like Watson did. So there is no reason for Jackson to compromise if he is determined to match the Watson deal. Tagging him will probably cost around $45M for a 1 year rental. Tagging him a 2nd time probably closer to $55M. A 3rd tag around $80M. Those are just rough numbers, and they are subject to change. So if you are Jackson you don’t have to compromise for anything less than a deal that pays him $45M for 1 year, $100M for 2 years or $180M for 3 years unless it comes with hefty guarantees.

1 Like

I expect them to tag him for 2023, draft another QB, and if no agreement reached between now and then, let him go for comp picks due to the dollars.

Plus you have another year with him, see how it goes from health to improved passing attack.

That is one of the likely scenarios. Which is also why Jackson doesn’t have to compromise. Once he hits the open market he will get what he’s asking for, while having banked an extra $45M of Baltimore’s money. So instead of a 5 year $230M deal it will be more like a 6 year $275M deal for Lamar.

The only question that remains, for me, is how much guarranteed dollars he can get when he hits the open market.

DeShaun Watson was essentially on the market, and ended up with a fully guaranteed deal. Kirk Cousins was a free agent, and landed a fully guaranteed deal. The precedent has been set if he hits the market.

I agree with you, just curious if Jackson will also get one, I have my doubts. I definitely don’t blame him for going for it, he has too.

I seldom read Goff posts mainly its the same posters taking another anti Goff rant in a post.

I would extend him now it was explained in a video I posted about the Cap. There are advantages of doing it sooner than later.

I will not argue about Goff he has shown who he is last half of 2021 season an last season. He has better stats than Allen in 2022 not saying better but better stats .

That should set you anti Goff posters into a rage LOL

2 Likes

Watch an see advantage of extension now or don’t watch if it will upset your anti Goff rant LOL

1 Like

People are rude as ■■■■ on this board. Dude is just expressing his take and opinion. Can you maybe debate it with some decency or possibly just ignore it?

1 Like