If stuck at 6 Wilson or Murphy if both are there?

In the top 5 I think at least two QB’s go. Young, then at least one team is going to make a move on who they think the 2nd guy is (for them). Then at least Anderson goes. The news with Carter throws a wrench. I did see one of the mocks drop him down the board about 10 spots, I assume due to the off field issue. For this view of things, I’m going to keep him in the top 5 whether it’s organic or via a team trading up and looking the other way. That leaves one pick ahead of us. I see Wilson going there a lot now, but Murphy was that guy most of the last several months. Anyway all it will take is for an Olineman to go, or another team jump up for the #3 QB (which is what I think will happen) for Stroud or Levis.

So that’s the leadup and leaves us with either Wilson or Murphy or erryone else. I think both of those EDGE guys are better than the top CB who is probably Gonzo. Both Wilson and Murphy are a bit raw but still have enough special traits at a top 3 position to be heavily in the conversation if they are on the board when we pick.

Who would you prefer and why?

2 Likes

If it’s only Wilson or Murphy, give me Wilson ten times out of ten. The history of Clemson DL definitely weighs on my eval and the fact that both Murphy and Bresee showed very little improvement while at Clemson factors in as well. I don’t think Murphy has any idea how to play the position yet. Maybe that comes (hopefully), but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Wilson is raw too but much further along then Murphy IMO, and while Murphy’s pretty strong, long, and plays with a good motor, he’s a lesser version of Wilson in all three (motor’s close). Wilson’s absolutely freakish length allows him to make plays 99% of DL in the world can’t make. I also think he moves inside much more smoothly than Murphy does/would. I even floated the idea of converting him to a 3t, but #6 is probably a little rich for that.

7 Likes

Interesting, I don’t see us really needing an edge guy. Although maybe they are planning to bulk Paschal up and play him inside more. That’s a possibility. If we bring Cominsky back though, there is only so many edge roster spots.

Houston, Romeo, Julian, Harris, Hutch, Cominsky, Paschal - That’s a lot of edge guys. I’m not sure all those guys will be back of course, we can save money by cutting a couple of them potentially, but it’s a position of strength right now. Whereas DT, the cupboard is kinda bare after Alim.

2 Likes

Yup and the problem is after Carter there’s no DT worth a top 10 pick which has been a conundrum the entire offseason for us(fans not staff). When it comes to Murphy my big question is is he going to be good at any one thing? At the very least Tyree Wilson is going to be really good a setting the edge and maybe he can turn into an Arik Armstead level DE.

1 Like

I too lean towards Wilson, but I don’t see him at 3t much. I do think they sort of have that in spades with Paschel and Commish who will undoubtedly be back. I do think either Harris or Romeo walks. Wilson / Murphy are both a little more Romeo than either are Harris, so there’s that. I don’t let ghosts of prospects past guide my view on traits. Murphy is a bit of a physical freak. Sort of has that Travon Walker thing going IMO. I think he can move inside a little better than Wilson can even though they are very similar in stature. Wilson seems more explosive, while Murphy seems a little more country strong. If both are there, and I can’t trade down for Gonzo/Spoon, then I probably just take Murphy and move on from Romeo. I think you get better, younger and cheaper by doing so.

1 Like

For me I look to Hutch, Houston, Harris and in sub package form JOk as my true pass rushers. Then I let Romeo walk. Just not sure about that Achilles and with that salary, it just seems like you just flip him for a guy who is probably better in short order, cheaper, younger and has a higher ceiling. I don’t think they are going to trust Houston against the run all the time. Paschel and Commish are those SSDE’s who will move inside a lot with one of the flamethrower types outside of them.

I do agree that what we really need is that penetrating 3t (I’m with you Big Natti) and also agree that it’s Carter then no one until you are ready to take a chance on Kansey or Benton later on. But just is what it is on that. Always the hope that Levi gets his backiotomy squared away and takes off, but not really banking on it. I think they are going to lean on the bigs like McNeil and Buggs to eat space and draw double teams, while they have a steady diet of guys like Hutch/Paschel/Commish playing that 3t role when they want to rush. Having a guy like Wilson added to Houston and JOK for those types lining up outside and pinning their ears back would be worth the embarrassment of riches so to speak. If we get Ramsey in here, it will make taking an EDGE at 6 a lot more palatable.

1 Like

And you can use Romeo’s money to pay Cominsky, who at this point is much more valuable to the defense. Cominsky and Hutch were the starting D-ends the last 8 games of the season when the defense was much better. Romeo is very expensive for a backup. I just don’t see us paying that much for a backup, although maybe he’d take a pay cut to stay.

1 Like

For this exercise: Wilson. But don’t want him if he is there. If he is there and stroud is there you take stroud. Wilson is going to the cardinals. Bryce is going to the Texans, unless someone jumps them for him.

Wilson would be my choice but watch for White also

Wilson over Murphy but i dont want an edge. Im probably taking DB.

1 Like

Tyree Wilson, Skoronski, Kancey if we are looking at non-QB and Anderson Carter both off board

1 Like

After today? Gonzales.

4 Likes

I agree, we need corners badly. But, I also don’t wanna reach for one. That’s kinda how we got Okudah. Fatty traded away Slay for peanuts and then that basically forced us to draft a corner in the 1st round.

If Holmes thinks one of them is legit worth the #6 pick, then sure!

1 Like

If they draft a corner in the first I’ll be very happy if they don’t I will be happy and it will make sense either way. But if the class is so deep and GOOD, maybe you don’t take the elite rookie corner rd 1……

1 Like

Kancey 4.67 1.64 split
Dondald 4.68 1.63 10 yard split

1 Like

Kancey: 30 5/8 inch arms
Donald: 32 5/8 inch arms

That’s huge on the interior of the line. Kancey would be an all-time outlier at that size.

2 Likes

What about Billings…Geno Atkins…Grady jarrett

how does he compare there?

1 Like

One thing I was going to ask is are there any good DTs in the last 20 years with 30 inch arms?

1 Like

Billings: 33 inches
Atkins: 32 inches
Jarrett: 32 5/8 inches.

2 Likes

So he’s the Kenny Pickett of DT

Perfect take him 18

1 Like