If the Rams earn the No. 2 overall pick, trade down possibilities emerge

Niiiiiice!!!

3 Likes

This only happens if Anderson isn’t on the board. If he is, I’m not even considering it.

1 Like

A big game will be the Broncos vs Rams. the Broncos gain a lot by tanking the Rams don’t. I don’t see another victory on the Broncos schedule.
At Ravens
Kansas City
Arizona
at LA Rams
At Kansas city
LA Chargers

Chicago has
Green Bay
Philly
Buffalo
at Detroit
Minnesota
so I don’t see another win there either so

Houston 1 win
Chicago 3 wins
Rams 3 wins (currently our pick but Denver plays at Rams
Denver 3 wins

if LA gets to 4 wins things could change a lot

3 Likes

Broncos are gonna kick Rams’ ass! (fingers crossed).
That really is a big game for us. LOL

3 Likes

is that going to be a 9-6 Broncos win? Not sure that offense can get into double digits.

1 Like

some ugly football

1 Like

Believe it

The Broncos don’t either, the Seahawks have their pick. And their staff is fighting for their jobs.

4 Likes

You have to consider all options when you have a high pick but it’s really hard to pass up on a true IMPACT player especially if he is on defense.
Still won’t change my opinion that it’s defense first in this draft for the Lions.

Looking forward to JAMO getting into the lineup but I don’t think it will be this week against the Jags.
Lookout Minne, he is coming.

1 Like

Haha

4 Likes

From 2? I’m asking for a more than that if that team REALLY wants Young or Stroud. QB trade ups cost a premium. If not, will happily take Anderson.
Every draft is different but it costs the Jets three 2nds to move up from 6 to 3 for Darnold so I’m asking for another 2nd at least.

Actually, I’m pushing for a 2024 1st to get some Caleb Williams ammunition.

3 Likes

If you keep reading I made a mistake and was simply using the point chart, the 2nd next year should have been a first. THAT’s the starting point, nothing more.

1 Like

No more trade downs. Get the best, most talented player you can. That’s either Bryce Young, Jalen Carter, Will Anderson or bust.

1 Like

If the Rams earn No. 2 overall, I’d take that haul in a heartbeat.

4 Likes

Yeah, that builds a team and then some.

I think you have it about right with a 3rd round pick in 2024 thrown in. More would be nice, but I think that’s a win-win. I mean, I’d like the best deal ever, but a good one for us that actually happens works too.

1 Like

One of the things I would like to know is how often a team has gone “all in” on trading up for a QB when there is a brand new coaching staff taking over. I am going to try to reason thru this:

2022 - There were no big moves for a QB
2021 - The biggest move was by the 49ers with an existing HC and staff…the next biggest move was the Bears with an existing HC and staff
2020 - Teams barely traded in the 1st round in an odd year
2019 - No big moves for a QB
2018 - The Jets traded a slew of 2nd round picks for Sam Darnold, but it was an existing staff
2017 - The Chiefs and Texans made big moves for QBs and the Bears are on the list as well, but they were existing staffs
2016 - HUGE moves by the Rams and Eagles for QBs, the rAms with an existing staff and the Eagles with a new staff

I am going to stop there for now. I don’t see a pattern of new head coaches making big moves for a QB in recent memory, but I am noticing a pattern of coaching staffs in their final year making a big move for a QB. The Bears are on the list twice making a move to get a QB in the head coaches final season. The Jets move for Darnold came in the head coaches final season. The Rams made a big move to get a QB in the head coaches final season, in the same year that a team with a new head coach made a big move to get a QB. So the Eagles/Doug Pederson/Carson Wentz is the answer to the question of “when was the last time?” Taking a quick glance it looks like we have to go all the way back to the Ravens in 2008 to find another instance of a team making a big move for a QB in a head coaches first season.

I like the trade down to 6 for second this year an a fourth this year an first next year.

Would be Rams pick for a second an fourth in 2023 an a first 2024

I want a fourth rd pick this year if we can get one.

I also am not one of the mostly D picks either in 2023.

Until i see how couple of DLman have recovered not rushing for a DLman . I do want a CB very early an a WR early.

What we need will also depend in UFA signings.

1 Like

Sure, it’s a “life line” for a sinking ship and a way to try and retain your job. Last year only 9 QB’s were taken in the draft, average is 11 or so. I’m guessing that 14 go this year because teams chose to wait and good or bad the wait is over. Doesn’t mean they are necessarily looking for starters, like us there are plenty of teams that need to be, should be, looking at developing depth and maybe hitting on a guy who could turn into an eventual starter. For us I would be surprised if we didn’t wait until the 6th round, the same round Nate Sudfeld was taken in.

That’s what I always believed, and what has always been said. But how true is it? Getting away from the idea of moving up for a QB for a second and just focusing on using a premium pick on one…how often has that pick bought a staff on the hotseat more time? Let’s dive into the teams that spent a 1st round pick on a QB:

2022 - Mike Tomlin was not on the hotseat.
2021 - The only staff on the hotseat was the Bears, and they got fired after the season.
2020 - The only staff on the hotseat was the Chargers, and they got fired after the season
2019 - The Giants and Redskins both took QBs early, and both fired their coaching staffs by the end of the season
2018 - The Browns and Jets had staffs on the hot seat and they still got fired by the end of the season…bonus points for the Cardinals taking QB and still firing their rookie head coach
2017 - The Bears staff was on the hot seat and fired their staff at the end of the year
2016 - The Rams staff was on the hot seat and got fired that season
2015 - The Bucs and Titans both fired their staffs that season
2014 - The Jags fired their staff the following season…maybe the pick bought them 1 more year?
2013 - Only one QB was taken high and he was not on the hog seat
2012 - I feel comfortable saying RG3 bought Mike Shanahan an extra season…the Browns fired their staff at the end of the season
2011 - The Jags fired their staff at the end of the season
2010 - The closest qualifier is the Rams, who fired the staff at the end of the following season
2009 - Noone took a QB on the hot seat
2008 - Noone took a QB on the hot seat
2007 - Noone took a QB on the hot seat
2006 - The Titans coach was on the hot seat and ended up coaching 5 more years, the Cardinals fired their staff at the end of the season
2005 - Noone took a QB on the hot seat
2004 - Was Bill Cowher on the hot seat after one down year?
2003 - The Bears fired their staff at the end of the season

That’s what I come up with when I cross reference the 1st round draft picks with coaching situations. Feel free to make any updates or corrections. I am not seeing where teams are giving coaching staffs more time for taking a young QB in the draft. The ones that try it seem to get fired anyways. Its not the magic bullet its built up to be.

4 Likes