If there’s change

That’s part of the point, they were a dumbass organization with a rift in the front office and coaching ranks. When was the last time a QB drafted #1 overall sat for 2 straight years?

1 Like

Ouch yea

I’ve wondered if Schwartz is top ten in losing percentage vs number of Games as head coach with same team…

Patricia is up there , no?

Number of games coached vs winning percentage same team

I’m begging for a follow up Accorsi interview
On what he thinks has happened since he touted BQ so highly. And was the experienced insider voice who made decisions Thst worked counter to the nfl other goal of being more inclusive as it’s all white now just like most other teams. Lions didn’t need incentives to hire minority candidates so while the league is figuring out ways to incentivize fairly a way to move minority candidates forward in name of equity and fair opportunity

Shouldn’t they already reward the lions for being one of only a few teams to do it … more than once ?

Yet the nfl recommended consultant who helped lions ended up perpetuating their issue …

Where’s the interview ? :triumph: :slight_smile:

Who did the Chargers sit for 2 straight years?

Philip Rivers. While Drew Brees was there, Philip never started a single game. There was a brewing QB battle coming for the following season, until Drew got hurt to end the Chargers season. That was part of the rift between coaching and the front office.

Marty was trying to keep his job and preferred veteran QBs.

And I am not sure of any QB drafted #1 overall that sat for 2 straight years. Certainly not since i can remember.

@najacks

More on Schwartz … to me , in hindsight , he wasn’t ready or msybe never will be. His emotion as a leader was contagious and works to ones advantage when successful but his inability to control and be mature or situationally aware , not bruised ego type Cost him imo as a leader in Detroit.
Pete Carrol pulls it off , but he’s one of best nfl coaches. Greg Williams couldn’t pull it off as a HC. Pstricia had some of same issues it seems in terms of understanding the head coach as leader and tone setter for everything rather than just getting defense ready to knock some body out.

Therefore my opinion on Mayhew changed some in hindsight giving him credit for being better than I credited him for especially given his limitations on resume only knowing lions FO under Millen instead of coming from an efficient winning FO like Quinn had experience to learn in in New England.

I agree that head coaches that are too emotional rarely succeed. The best coaches are the ones that let things go and move forward immediately. If you are busy worrying or complaining about events that happened even a minute ago, you are in trouble.

That’s why I preferred Caldwell because he was always in control of his emotions. People like to rip on Stafford because he isn’t whining or complaining about stuff, but what does being super emotional really accomplish? Once something happens you can’t go back and change it. You have to move forward. That is why I liked Caldwell being paired with Stafford. Is it any surprise that Stafford’s best seasons were with Coach Caldwell?

3 Likes

Pete Carroll is kind of a different animal though. He doesn’t just sit there and yell and get emotional but then coach like other people. Pete is super high energy, loves competition and brings it into everything they do as an organization. They even compete with different games and crap at team meetings, they don’t just sit there and listen to coaches talk. Every day Pete brings the energy, and everyday you are challenged to meet that energy level in various ways. Pete’s upbeat personality is also different than some of the other “emotional” coaches. You could get into a car crash and have your leg chopped off, and Pete would be the jokester in the room picking your spirits up. In that light he’s got a great formula. Guys like Dungy don’t like to get too high, which helps his guys not get too low. But Pete is there to let you get as high as you want to get, and he will help pick you up during your lows.

1 Like

Yes but ultimately
There’s no exact cut out of what makes a head coach
But the leadership and understanding of big picture , of managing team day to day , putting out “fires” , adapting and adjusting

Needs to be authentic and prepared.

1 Like

I thought I heard staffird bark at the tight end to get in motion pretty angrily … I think it was first quarter of the game. Near goaline I think

This is lions coaching room right now

Should have been Shottenheimer over Bobby Ross, or Jimmy Johnson

3 Likes

If you expect to need more than three years to turn a team around, then you’re using a template that hasn’t been valid for 15 years, and you shouldn’t be an NFL GM in today’s game.

3 Likes

Broke the bank for dungy or parcells
Parcells was an option between jobs

1 Like

Like JaMarcus Russell? :laughing:. At least we didn’t do that.

Had the Raiders taken Calvin Johnson, you know Millen would have ran up to the podium with Jemarcus Russell’s name on the draft card.

1 Like

Pete Carroll and Dick Vermiel, very similar types of guys, both had to bottom out before they hit their stride. Pete was different after USC, more intense and motivated. Different coach than he was with the Jets. Regardless of personality type, intensity and motivation seem to transcend, and is probably one of the understated traits that separate head coaches.

1 Like

Oh Mylanta! You’re so right! Ughh