If there’s change

Pete Carroll gets flack for some reason with NE. He was 27-21 there in 3 years.
Dick Vermeil was 54-47 with the Eagles and coached in the Super Bowl. He was 3-6 in his last year, but he won double digits the 3 years before that.
These guys were successful before, not like all the Lions coaches (minus Mooch).

1 Like

should have been belichick over bobby ross. we could have easily had him after cleveland stupidly fired him.

1 Like

maybe not, but rewatching games under schwartz the lions were a solid team. detroit had a solid front 7 on defense. if we could have built a better oline and secondary detroit would have been a very good team.

1 Like

I thought mooch coming home to Izzo and Michigan was the match

1 Like

I might’ve liked to see Caldwell with Schwartz at DC or even OC.
Schwartz too unhinged to handle the nuanced difference of being head coach and ultimate tone setter. Loose. Too loose.

2 Likes

The thing is Schwartz did turn it around quickly. But never got a chance to take it to the next level. His issue was him and Mayhew didn’t see eye to eye. Mayhew kept forcing players on him.

Caldwell had us winning and believing. But we needed to fix the run game and be better on the OL. Not to mention our LBers sucked. But BQ decided he wasn’t good enough.

Personally I’d have like to seen is Schwartz or Caldwell could have fixed the problem areas. I would haven’t given them more time. I thought both showed enough development to deserve more time.

In my opinion the Fords should have forced BQ into giving Caldwell at least one more season. BQ never gave Caldwell a running back worth a crap. I think we made a bad hire with BQ. Problem was that BQ wanted to bring in his guy so bad that he couldn’t see past that.

2 Likes

I find it funny people are bitching about the ford’s and the coaches, when most here loved everyone, fans bitch ford’s go get someone new . 80 % of this place loved the Patricia hire, about the only coach that wasn’t well liked when first hire is Caldwell and he was our very best coach in 40 years. You guys loved Marnelli mooch, ross , schwartz hell people even loved Marty in the beginning, and people lived the millen hire also, mayhew was the one most didn’t want and he was our best GM also.

Hey, newsflash - you’re right, :laughing:. Absolutely right. I’m not sure if any of those hires were people’s #1 choice, I’m sure some of them were at least, but I think if any of them weren’t, then most people tried to see the best in the situation. I can honestly say I never liked the Marinelli hire at all.

Not to put you on the spot, but given the cap and contracts on the books, how would you approach making changes? I’m sure you’ve thought about it. If you had the reigns, what would you do?

1 Like

Well, the guy had been Belichick’s defensive coordinator through many years and a lot of success.

There was reason to believe he knew what he was doing.

Imagine my shock to learn he can’t even put a defensive scheme together that doesn’t make the opponents laugh among themselves.

3 Likes

I thought Schwartz was a mess , discipline wise it was loose imo. And if Schwartz was doing a good job of it within view of the league , it would seem he’d have gotten another chance by now having shown he’s successful DC again.

The carries off on shoulders might’ve left a bad impression on billionaire team owners faces.

1 Like

Right we thought he’d be flexible and get more from current players

Not that he’d run a flexible scheme that needed a very specific type of player hardly on the roster. As a former top DC , I expected him
To recognize that JBC was over matched before he got another season

I didn’t expect fir him to be disliked by much of that roster either I thought if there was a risk , it was that he’d be a plsyers coach and not able to separate enough to be head coach.

That’s just it there defense has never been that good, they have always been suspect against the run. People fell in love with the point allowed thing. Coaches like QBs can be real hard to find. In 40 years we had one winning coach and this fans base ran him off because they didn’t like his face or that he didn’t rant rave when things went wrong. He was a even keel type coach that players played hard for yet fans ran him out of town for the biggest joke of a coach sense rod Marnelli.

1 Like

Ironic huh

I wasnt big in marinelli. A bit of why Patricia kinda bucked it too … their charisma “it factor” especially marinelli to look the part of HC.

To me , even in losing Anthony Lynn looks the part. Andy Reid doesn’t exactly look the part but he’s proven and he’s great. Looking the part isn’t exactly a requirement but the charisma thing … I dunno head coach is part snake oil salesman. Face of franchise. Especially under BQ and Wood who seem to stay in an underground bunker only emerging with the groundhog to confirm its Groundhog Day after all.

1 Like

I’m really not sure at this point I don’t think it’s a easy answer. Coaches like QBs can be hit and miss, but never liked guys like Patricia and Marnelli that have to adjust the players to there system. I want coaches that can adjust there system to the players. Your head coach needs to be a guy that players respond to and respect. Your coordinators what’s need to be real good. The head coaches success relies alot on the coordinators. Figure out what you wanna be good at then hire coordinators to fit that. I think if Caldwell would have had better coordinators he could have took us to the promise land maybe.
And once again Patricia was never that good and never had success outside of the Patriots. His system has always been week against the run. I’m mean he was the most overrated coach there was. He got credit for just being a patriot.

2 Likes

So if fans are hopeful when a new regime comes in, and then ready to move on when that regime proves to be garbage, that’s… bad? Or hypocritical somehow? Because it would be better if people decided to vehemently hate a regime when they’re hired before they ever play a game? Or to continue arguing that guys who are terrible should keep their job because you expressed optimism about the hire 2 years ago?

I’m trying to understand what exactly you have a problem with here, beyond the fact that people change their opinions over time when they gain new information.

2 Likes

Guess pointing out that people calling for ford’s to sell the team or how bad they are as owners, yet they have did pretty much what most fans wanted them to do time and time again. And there’s plenty around here that pretend they never wanted these guys and all you gotta do is what this team or that team does. Really it’s just not that easy.

I will refute that fans ran off Caldwell because they, “didn’t like his face”. Lest we forget, amidst the Caldwell reminisce lovefest, Caldwell had very real issues with clock management, in game adjustments, playing prevent defense and offense starting in the 3rd quarter. I personally never viewed him as a championship caliber coach, and in my opinion, he never displayed that next level coaching prowess. I like Caldwell as a human being, and have a high opinion of his character, but I never felt like this was the guy who was going to take us to the promised land.

Saying he’s the best coach in franchise history is like talking about the fastest horse in the three legged horse race, the bar isn’t exactly set high here, lol

1 Like

Well that’s just not true, there were plenty of pictures post of his dumb look on the side line seen it at least a 100 times. Lols that’s the point you didn’t think Caldwell could take us farther yet most thought Patricia was the guy to take us over the top.i mean that’s funny because the guy you guys hated won and the guy you thought was gonna be great wasn’t only not great but the worse coach in history maybe him and rod same philosophy same results. So maybe it’s somes thinking that’s flawed and not so much Caldwell.

And as far as game management you can get better at that having team that respects and plays hard no matter what is much harder to come by

Well, we’ll have to agree to disagree on our individual assessment of Caldwell. He’s in the past now. Stafford’s star is fading. Time is running out.