In the pantheon of bad mock picks for the Lions, this is worst yet

A low production WR?

If Mims is there and we pass I’ll be upset. And I say that even acknowledging that he might not play a ton as a rookie.

I’d be fine with McConkey on the roster. He might be the best separator in the class and is a great blocker. Would not be surprised in the Lions liked him at all.

4 Likes

I would keep an open mind about it.
Ben would know how to use him.

1 Like

Most interesting thing to me in many of these, after Lions pick, is where and who they have taking JJ. Bronco’s move up to take him.

I would much rather have Mims but I have McConkey as a crush over on the draft crush thread, so I’d be somewhat thrilled by this.

That said, he’s really not what we need. I agree that Ben could find a way to use him, and if he can really play a lot outside as Mike Renner seems to think (he comps him to Antonio Brown!), then it might work. But man Alabama beat him up a few times. He has to get stronger.

29 seems awful rich for St Browns backup

2 Likes

McConkey is a lot like Golden Tate. He is the exact type of wr that Goff loves… open 24/7/365

While the staff has brought in 4 tall fast prototypical x type wrs in for interviews, McConkey would be a phenomenal replacement for J Rey. He is 3 inches shorter yes, but he is also both quicker and faster with a significant more yac ability. Shake and Bake plus route running. As much as i like the idea of an Xavier Legette type i am not quick to dismiss what McConkey brings to the table.

I think Legette and McConkey are the best of the borderline late 1st early 2nd wrs over Coleman and Worthy.

3 Likes

St Browns backup and we got All Pro Leaf still

And gibby can do some damage from the slot also

If he went 29, he certainly wouldn’t be ARSB’s backup

1 Like

I trust Brad and he’s earned the benefit of the doubt, but holy hell will I have a hard time if they pass on Legette for McConkey. Legette’s highlight reel might be the most impressive of all these guys and he is 220 lbs. A perfect X for us. And he can RAC. People say McConkey can get open but Legette had almost the best PFF grade vs man coverage in the draft. Nabers and Odunze the exception (I believe).

1 Like

This, @Jman, is the mock I was thinking off, JJ to the Bronco’s at 4.

1 Like

I think he will be a fine player.

Having said that, if there’s not a better choice at #29, I think we’d try to trade with the Patriots for #34 and 103. They ARE taking a QB and will crave a receiver he can depend on…before Baltimore takes one.

IMO, we’re fine at WR, especially if/when Jamo figures it out, and we would be better served with a OT/OG at #34 like Suamataia to take a redshirt year while backing up every place but center.

If Brad takes McConkey at 29, I’m going to trust he’s smarter than me.

1 Like

I think Mims is a top 5ish type of talent. Damn close to it at least. Just grab those kind of talents and figure it out.

2 Likes

I think that is literally word from word what a 1st round mock I just watched with Renner, Sikkema, Solak, and Kelly said.

2 Likes

You’re basically describing BPA here. It’s not always a top 5 talent of course, but just grabbing the best talents and figuring out how to turn them into a team is a GREAT strategy.

It’s why I didn’t like the Den’s Kool-Aid pick. I don’t mind Kool-Aid, mind you, and in fact if the draft had gone a different way I’m fine with him. But with Latu and Newton on the board, I can’t get behind hit. It feels like we went for need over the best players. Not a terrible reach, but if we passed on TJ Watt or Grady Jarrett to take Tyson Campbell, well that’s bad GMing imo.

1 Like

Love McConkey as a prospect. Probably the best route runner in the draft. Dude is sudden as ■■■■ in and out of breaks

If Brad takes someone with one ass cheek and three toes, I’m going to trust he’s smarter than me… :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face:

1 Like

We really need an X, but I’m kind of intrigued by pairing McConkey with Ra. We’d be set on third and 5 ----- first down every time. I think defenses would really struggle to cover both of them.

2 Likes