Inside Linebackers - Chenal, Muma, Anderson

That would be a great value! A St. Brown kind of value.
I prefer Anderson, but, I’d jump on that value all day.

1 Like

1 Like

Remarkable similarity athletically, equally remarkable how different their college production was.

The other one I’m intrigued about is Damone Clark at LSU.

Super-productive, athletic, fast enough, with a ton of upside.

He had spinal fusion surgery to repair a herniated disk in March, so his first year would likely be a redshirt. But then you have a guy who’s probably a first-three-rounds talent, that you were able to get in the 5th or 6th round.

1 Like

It will be really interesting to see when and where he goes. If you believe that he can come back 100%, then I doubt that he gets out of the 4th.

good find – he’s wayyyy down on some lists. He’d be one of the first I’d call if he’s an UDFA.

STRENGTHS: Quick to trigger and go … excellent lateral range and sideline speed to shut down outside run lanes … chases with a rocket ship attached to his back …

has an NFL frame with long arms … flashes violence in his hands to jolt and disengage when he times his strike … strong wrap tackler, and ball carriers rarely escape

his clutches … stays on top of screens, and his open-field tackling has improved … always has the dirtiest jersey on the defense … awarded the No. 18 LSU jersey the

[218]

past two seasons for his leadership (NFL scout: “The LSU staff says he’s the most driven guy on the roster. Lived in the facility.”) … started as a sheep and grew into a

lion when it comes to confidence (mentored by close friend and former teammate Devin White) … led the team in tackles in back-to-back seasons and his 11.3 tackles

per game in 2021 ranked No. 2 in the FBS.

WEAKNESSES: Stays locked on the football, but late to locate/react to blockers due to his narrow vision … can be sucked up at the line of scrimmage and loses sight

lines … his take-on skills run hot/cold … throws a half-hearted shoulder instead of using his hands to engage climbing blocks … races downhill to make stops, but

needs to throttle his speed and find his balance to make on-the-move tackles … late to decipher passing concepts, allowing backs to leak into space or tight ends to

cross his face … only one season as a full-time starter (more defensive snaps in 2021 than the previous three seasons combined) … underwent spinal fusion surgery

(March 2022) after an MRI at the Combine revealed a herniated disc.

Hoping for a WILL this draft. That linebacking corps needs more speed. If Dean is their at 32, the Lions should take him.

Based solely on his college film, with Davis back in the fold i think he would be a great fit at Will. I always felt he was playing out of position at mlb. His NFL coverage issues leave me scratching my head though.

1 Like

Spinal fusion is no joke. I’d have serious doubts about his ability to have a long career. If that’s even a smart idea.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure we’re all hoppin for any kind of talent influx at linebacker. Our linebacking Corp is woeful.

I have been thinking the same since they announced his surgery and said he’ll make a full recovery

We’d probably use him as a Mack.
Chenal would be our Buck.

I just had disc replacement surgery. So I’m very familiar with the whole process. I can tell you first hand that doctors don’t recommend that surgery as a first option. To have that surgery that young suggests he probably has some type of genetic spinal condition that is only going to get worse every year. That doesn’t even take into account the brutal pounding it’ll take as an nfl linebacker. If he were a kicker I’d say great. Go play. If I’m his family I’m telling him he probably shouldn’t play. The price he’s going to pay later in life won’t be worth it.

3 Likes

benched 34 and had an under 7 3-cone. Those are monster numbers

1 Like

We’re going back to a 4-3. Chenal would be more of a SAM, whether 4-3 or 3-4, due to his size, coverage ability and blitzing skills. Most of the time the Lions will be in a 4-3 or nickel.

Not to mention, our LB coach played at LSU and has said Damone Clark is like his little brother. So connections to Detroit.

Former LSU star Damone Clark is underdoing spinal fusion surgery on Thursday to repair a herniated disk , per NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero. An MRI revealed the issue earlier this month at the NFL Scouting Combine. Pelissero reports Clark is likely to miss the 2022 season but is expected to make a full recovery.

NFL players get back in the game after upper spine surgery

Date:

October 4, 2016

Source:

Wolters Kluwer Health: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins

Summary:

The majority of U.S. National Football League (NFL) players who undergo surgery for a herniated disc in the upper (cervical) spine are able to resume their careers and perform at a high level, suggests a study

I totally agree. I’ve had surgeons tell me to wait until I can’t stand it before I get it done. Also said they know more about the universe than they do the back. It’s a 50/50 crap shoot you’ll even get some relief, and many It’s worse after.

I didn’t have a choice. I had a ruptured disc pressing on my spinal cord. I’d lost feeling in both arms and my legs. My doctor still recommended disc replacement over fusion though. He said it would give me a better quality of life in the long and short term. Especially considering my profession as a chef. I don’t envy the complications that kid is going to have later in life. Especially if he plays football. There’s nothing you can do to reverse a fusion.

1 Like

I hope you are doing ok with everything sir and enjoying that career as a chef. Back issues are not fun. For now the cortisone injections are helping me with the nerve pain and numbness in my legs after a laminectony procedure.

1 Like

Owned restaurants and banquet centers for 20 years. Long hours on your feet and living in a short persons world (I’m 6’ 6"), that industry destroyed my back. Now I have degenerative disc disease and have to limit time on my feet to a couple hours at a time or start pumping Ibuprofen an hour in advance. Left butt check goes numb, then the knee, all while it feels like the top of my foot is on fire.

Being a chef or working in the food industry is not a career, it’s a lifestyle, predicated on physical destruction and self medicating. You work when everyone else is off work, nights and weekends.

1 Like