Interesting Lions narratives in advance of the Super Bowl

So, let’s state at the outset that there’s a fair to good chance the Rams win the Super Bowl, and Stafford wins MVP. They’re the favorite to win it all in Vegas, and he’s the favorite (by +500) to win MVP. This is reality (insofar as the oddsmakers say), your personal opinions aside, and to a degree, common sense.

I was worried this might continue to drag the Lions. But I’ve noticed the media narratives, while acknowledging the problems with the franchise, have largely been … positive. The support of the city, former teammates, etc. all seem to be positive and behind Stafford.

This reflects well on us, I think.

The Lions and its fanbase, at least vicariously, are living through Stafford’s Super Bowl experience.

If the Rams shit the bed, the narrative won’t be anything Detroit related, but will center on LAs big gamble that didn’t pay off.

So specifically around Detroit, if Matt wins MVP and the Rams win it all, I’m not sure it means we get beat up too much.

Are you guys seeing it this way?

2 Likes

Honestly, I don’t see the need to label either team as “winning” or “losing” on the trade. The Rams got what they wanted out of the deal (assuming the win) and we got what we wanted (assuming Goff continues next year where he left off this season and we capitalize on those extra draft picks)

It’s a good deal between two teams with opposite needs from one another.

We may get a little flack for never having a team Stafford could win with, but I won’t pay any attention to it. It’s not even a “diss” at this point. It’s just common knowledge. But as far as catching flack for the trade itself…I don’t see it happening

6 Likes

100% Agree - I love that the city is loyal and realizes it is Lions ownership dysfunction that wasted Staffords skills. But he was our quarterback for over a decade and gave his best on and off the field. I hate that he is not here but happy that for the most part he is exactly who the fans thought he was. Even if the Rams lose it is vindication at some level. AND ownership handled the Stafford situation like real professionals - Hopefully this helps ease the sting of past transgressions (Barry & Calvin).

2 Likes

Good observation Nate!
I live in the suburbs of GR MI,I work with a lot of people, most people I speak with are hoping MS wins his SB. Most think the Lions Org. shit on him and he deserved better. I hear people talk about how Barry, Calvin and MS were never given any support from up top.
How MS winning the SB or MVP with LA shines a light on us is nothing but reinforcement of what most people in these parts feel. Ford screwed over the super stars we had.
I believe the media, former teammates and us fans want Matt to win it all. The media narrative is more likely to be that suffering 12 years with the lowly Lions is a price he was willing to pay to finally achieve the pinnacle of success.
Personally, I despise the narrative Detroit is a place of gloom and no chance for success unless you get out. Nothing I can do to change that narrative, but I do have faith Sheila is determined to do just that.
The team she built around her with Spielman, Barry, and the new hires sure looks like the start to the turn around we all deserve.
If the Rams win it all, I believe the media will shine a bright light on Stafford and play up the obstacle he had to over come being a Lion for 12 years. I hope I’m wrong.

So true. Who cares what they think. I almost want the media disrespect so we can Detroit Piston our way to a couple of titles. “Detroit vs Everybody.”

Get to be careful we don’t get a label of dirty, because we all know they will literally change rules on the fly to grant victories to more popular teams.

1 Like

Stafford is still coming off as a genuine good guy , and he’s not shying away from Detroit being meaningful helps. ( adds why Calvin signing bonus should’ve been considered cost of doing business )
Add a little shine since some lions coaches are getting attention …

Anything that sheds positive light on our players yet gives a wider audience how wretchedly pathetic the fraudtastic Ford fuckery has been is a WIN-WIN!

For those of you who are Fords reading this, a WIN-WIN is when both sides of a situation get benefit from a result instead of there always being a LOSER in the deal.

Oh and in case BIll Jr is reading this, here is an explanation at your level-

Bill Ford…BIll Ford Bill Ford, Bill Ford. Bill Ford Bill Ford Bill Ford.

the martian GIF

1 Like

You get more than $1.6m worth of positive PR and goodwill

Not all of us. I’m basically neutral on whatever Stafford does in this game – I find Joe Burrow the more interesting and exciting player to root for as a third-party person.

I feel no special affinity for Stafford. Some of you are in the, “He gave it his all” camp with him here; I wasn’t too impressed with “his all,” any more than any other player who didn’t get it done in Detroit and departed. I perhaps view him worse than most, given he was paid so much, and had such an instrumental role, touching the ball every offensive snap, yet coach after coach, GM after GM, coordinator after coordinator, it didn’t happen here. Not interested in anyone’s “everybody’s fault but Matthews” list of reasons why; it’s a fact that he was here for 12 seasons and didn’t win diddily. It’s extremely rare, and basically unprecedented, in the NFL. It’s also a fact that he asked to leave here.

I disagree here as well. Many have taken this slavish devotion to a QB who asked to leave the Lions and is now playing for another team WAY too far. Kind of exposing this fan base as soft losers – which helps explain 50 years of ineptitude (along with terrible owners, terrible GMs, bad coaches and players only here for a paycheck).

For those who disagree, line up for your T-shirts:

5 Likes

Nate, great topic my man.

I think the national narrative on our Lions has hit its nadir.

Stafford winning or losing won’t affect that. I feel for the Cincy fans. Those are some loyal fans and we’d know a little something about that here.

I think Stafford plays well and gets a Lombardi.

We’ll have to get a food and drink thread going for the game.:beer::tumbler_glass::poultry_leg:

1 Like

No wonder he underperformed here. He was moonlighting for the Tigers

8 Likes

Lol, they even have his draft year wrong.

1 Like

Maybe I’m the minority here, but Ownership has nothing to do with not supporting the players. From Barry to Calvin to Stafford, ownership has done everything they could financially to pay these guys and put a team around them.

What ownership hasn’t done is be able to put the right people in place to build a team around these players. That is 100% on ownership.

Listen to what Stafford has to say about the ownership. He loved the Fords. The Ford’s are great people to work for. Hopefully they finally found the right GM/coach combo to finally have some sustained success.

4 Likes

@Detroit1811, fair points to be sure.

The Fords have never been afraid to spend money, and WCF was very loyal to his employees, some may say to a fault.

I think The Fords have always wanted a winner and believe they still do.

As others have said, this rebuild does feel a little bit different than the others over the past 60 plus years.:joy:

I’ve worked for many, many incompetent people who I personally liked.

2 Likes

I’ll assume you feel the same about Barry and Calvin.

Yes, you have it right, everyone else has it wrong. Got it.

Usually you don’t see this kind of blatant misreporting of facts by the networks until the national show comes on…

What a shock. One of Stafford’s biggest critics here on this board is neutral on Stafford in the Super Bowl. At the end of the day what Stafford is doing this year is very remarkable. He is actually changing the narrative some like yourself like to spin. It is a mark against him that he couldn’t win a playoff game here in Detroit. It is also a huge mark in his favor what he is doing this year. It’s is also a fact that no HC left detroit and was hired to lead another team. It is also a fact that No Gm has been hired to lead another team. Can’t sit here and say trash those GM’s and coaches for their incompetence and then wonder why stafford didn’t win. He should have but if you listen to the national perspective no one ever expected the lions to win any of those playoff games. The narrative going around is “the worst team in the playoffs in 2011 and 2016”. At the end of the day Stafford should have won here…he is winning now…and he is blowing up takes and leaving people with the argument “well he didn’t win here” before it was he isn’t a winner, he doesn’t have enough heart, he will never TAKE a team to the super bowl, he might be a passenger on a SB team, he is missing the IT factor…all that has been thrown out now…so he didn’t win here…it sucks…he carries blame…but it’s also Detroit and we suck at football.

I just don’t see why that should be a point you are pressing. You were pounding the table for the Lions to trade him. You didn’t want him in Detroit. So the way you are talking it makes it sound like it’s a mark against him for asking to be traded and leaving Detroit…fine…but it shouldn’t be a point that bothers you…you wanted him to leave.

2 Likes

That’s why I like being self employed. Some days my boss is a genius, some days he’s a dipstick. But, he’s never an ahole…well, … at least to me.

5 Likes

The refs got involved (at NFL’s request?) and made sure Brady wasn’t going to get another.

Stafford tried to throw away the NFC championship game but San Fran player dropped the duck interception.

Based on the refs not gifting that game I would hope the refs mostly stay out of the SB and let the game play out. I’m still hoping for the Rams to lose (pick 31 is better than pick 32). It could have implications for next year as well as with all the Rams did to mortgage the future, it would be poetic for them to not get any further along than they did with Goff.