Is anybody worth #6

They could have left Wilson in the slot and had Jamo face off against JSN outside…they chose not to. At the end of the day, they chose JSN as their 3rd guy and JAMO wanted more PT.

Fair enough. The two are so different it’s very difficult to see them fighting straight up for one spot. I think leaving Wilson in the slot and playing JSN outside would have been strange, though I definitely think JSN could have played outside.

But he wasn’t starting for Iowa. He was starting on consistently one of the finest defenses in college football and getting all those tackles against the premier offensive athletes in college football. On that team, he played 9 games as a freshman. Then 13 games respectively as a sophomore and junior. TALENT is the only reason he was able to keep the supreme athletes nipping at his heels for playing time, on the bench behind him. Guys that would be starting at Iowa for sure. Or nearly every other team.

I don’t know if putting up numbers at Alabama should be viewed as a negative. Why? Because other supreme athletes are racing you to tackle another supreme athlete. Branch had 58 SOLO tackles last year and 14 tackles for loss with guys like Hellams, Battle, Anderson and To’oTo’o racing him to the play. His lack of ideal size and speed is what will indeed see him fall in the draft. But that production and tape is what will make him a first rounder and the team that installs him in their defense very very happy they did.

3 Likes

I know what you mean with them being different. I doubt Jamo holds any animosity toward JSN. He just realized he had to leave to get more reps or his time was going to run out at OSU.

But…I sort of see the potential of a similar situation (Wilson/JSN) with ARSB/JSN. We don’t have the great third yet, of course.

If we drafted JSN we’d undoubtedly have to get creative with he and ARSB. Good thing our staff is creative and not only that, I think they like to be creative. They want to attack in unique ways. I mean clearly, some of our stuff is bonkers. I don’t think we’d have any problem getting the best out of those two.

1 Like

To me three guys are worth this pick:
Anderson
Tyree Wilson
Brian Bresee

Anderson should be gone but I am really liking Wilson despite our edge/DE depth.

I am back with Bresee at this point. Positional value and upside for going Bresee. Brian is healthy, he tested well and he plays a position of need for us.

Brian Branch is next on my list.

For me it would go like this (assuming Anderson, Young and Stroud are gone):

1. Carter
  2. Gonzalez
  3. JSN
  4. Richardson

For Brad I think it will go:

1. Richardson
  2. Levis (gag)
  3. JSN
  4. Broderick Jones

I will be so incredibly disappointed if they took Levis at 6. That, to me, anyway, is the only way Holmes could realistically screw up that pick.

2 Likes

I would be too, but I think it’s on the table. But I also think Richardson will fall as well.

1 Like

I’ve been hearing a lot of smoke about Lamar Jackson to Indy.

But then you have to think Baltimore just takes AR, right?

It feels like were too far out at 6 to have a shot at the top 3, but you never know until you know. I sure didn’t see the Jamo trade coming last year.

I think Anderson Jr and Gibbs are overrated. And yes Branch too. So yes Bama players get overrated.

Depends on the trade compensation but certainly a possibility.

I heard if Indy is going to sign the offer sheet for Lamar it will be after the draft. They then give up the 1st in 24 and 25 thus not giving up 4 overall this year. I imagine their thinking with Lamar they would be picking much lower than 4 the next 2 years.

I theorized they might do something like that, but it would be awfully risky to come out of the draft without a QB then sign Lamar to an offer sheet only for Baltimore to match. I guess they could decided to full-blown tank after that.

2 Likes

I guess they would only do that if they were going to throw out an offer that the Ravens wouldn’t match.

1 Like

Yeah they took it to a whole new silly

1 Like

Breese will be available at 18 but probably not at our 2nd round pick. If you REALLY want him, late 1st is the way to go.

Branch will likely go right around 18. Definitely not in the discussion at 6. Solid player and I’d love him on the team but he lacks size/speed to be elite.

1 Like

Everytime i see this thread i can’t get past the title.

It’s like folks think every draft has the same level of talent and that a 6AO pick should meet a certain threshold of talent and if he doesn’t he isnt worth the 6AO pick.

That isn’t how drafts work.

2 Likes

I’m seeing draft analysts predicting Bresee may not even get picked in the 1st round.

I hear y’all about Bresee and I think I take Tyrell Wilson over Bresee at this point but I think folks are wrong about Bryan’s potential.

Yes, there are legit issues with Bryan. I think overall his talent level is real. As a true freshman he was a BEAST. ACL injury early as a sophomore but came back this season to tragedy and another illness that sapped him.

But Bresee tested well and is likely fully healthy now.

DT is a premium position. In a draft that has a lot of talent but is light on blue chippers, taking a chance on Bresee seems like a smart play to me.