Is Goff fixable?

He used to throw such a pretty pass, nice tight spirals and accurate when he’s had time…but I don’t know even when he’s been giving time if our WR’s are good enough to always get open.

But too many dead-duck passes. On the out pattern before the long TD, that ball fluttered like a dying duck that had been shot in air. It was completed and then he throws a beautiful 39 yard pass to Reynolds, dropped it right in for the TD.

I get it, not every pass any of the QB’s throw are always pretty but Goff just seems to have more ugly, fluttering passed than I remember any QB throwing. Is it the thumb still? It doesn’t seem to be his footwork as when he’s planted he’s still throwing a lot of dead ducks. I don’t buy the hand-size being the issue because he used to throw pretty passes.

Thoughts?

Balls tend to flop around more as we age.

15 Likes

When I went to camp he was incredibly accurate and threw a very pretty pass. No wounded ducks like we see regularly now.

Somethings changed…. Is it footwork, coaching, injury? Who knows but I tend to believe it’s correctable with good health and good coaching.

In fairness to Goff, he played decent today, it wasn’t his fault we had 15 holding calls. I’ve been very critical of his play when he has sucked for most of the year, but he played not too bad today.

3 Likes

Rotum GIF

2 Likes

Holmes prioritized the DT’s over the WR room this offseason. It was a mistake given the project they had in Goff, they weren’t going to truly see if he is fixable with what we have in the WR room. Williams and Perriman were NOT the answer clearly. But the DT room was gawd awful, so you can kinda understand his logic. Seeing Reynolds today makes me think that Goff can play much better here with a better WR core…so if we invest in a few shiny toys for Goff next year (and the future qb in the years to follow) you are probably going to see a better player and that will translate to perhaps a few more wins. Is he the long term answer? No, but he is possibly improved next year with some wr’s and a new OC. Then after next season we can make another visit to a top 5 pick and the Will Anderson sweepstakes or Bryce Young sweepstakes.

2 Likes

I love that he called out the refs after the game for all the holding calls. I can give him props for that.

5 Likes

I think Goff is better than he’s looked this year and I think we have bigger issues than him for sure.

6 Likes

Rotum GIF

1 Like

I thought the fumble was bad. Outside of that Goff played well.

3 Likes

honestly, I thought the fumble was bullshit, he was in the dudes grasp it was not a bang bang play…

1 Like

If it was a fumble
It was also a heck of a play by defender to punch it

3 Likes

Goff is not fixable

What has he shown that shows he is fixable?

He just got beat by Andy Dalton. I sure as heck dont know a winner that just takes it up the Ace like Goff.

He is content with his 134 million and 100 million Gaureenteed.

Now, he is just a nice guy that says the right things. A perfect face and personality for a team that is rebuilding.

He got David Carr’d

1 Like

Is he fixable??

In this offense… he appears to have been neutered already.

michael ian black animation GIF by Cartuna

1 Like

The refs decided that Goff hasn’t been playing like an NFL QB so he didn’t rate the normal NFL QB protections.

2 Likes

Yep, footwork. Being in TN first time to really watch a full game. His footwork looks terrible, he has happy feet and I bet I only saw 3 passes all day where his feet were set correctly

1 Like

Agreed 100% From pre-season into the season the tape has shown the philosophy of our offense. And it sucks! Makes no difference who is calling the plays or playing QB, when the D knows to play at the line of scrimmage and has no concern for chunk plays or a deep threat, the O is in trouble.
This O play was designed prior to preseason starting, its a dink and dunk with no threat of getting burned. I don’t blame the lack of receivers as much as I do the philosophy of Lynn’s playbook.
How many PI penalties did Dallas have on uncatchable balls? I saw at least 4.
If 95% of the plays are within 3 yards of the line, you just made it easy on the D. Stop the run and pin your ears back to sack the QB, a 3 yard pass is just a fancy run.
Lynn has been problem #1 with the receivers and QB play.

2 Likes

When he’s pressured on the throw ,he has a tendency to not follow through and seems to “push” the ball forward. Also, it takes forever for him to wind up, and release the ball vs a Stafford snap of the wrist. That doesn’t help on the pressures.

1 Like

He didn’t play “decent” or “not too bad.” He played well. Period. Especially given the massive handicaps he’s saddled with on the field and on the sidelines.

3 Likes