Is Goff fixable?

And we lost seven game by less than a TD …… we could easily Be 3-7-1 right now

If he can be traded for a 6th round pick or better I will consider him fixed.

2 Likes

100% that was what I was hoping for when we made the trade. I’m a pathetic Lions fan, I was hoping Goff might be able to revive his career here and that McVay might have been overrated as coach. And then Goff started playing games, I quickly realized I was a fool for thinking that. Fanhood will often blind a man.

2 Likes

Because the HC has heavy influence over the offense, it’s playbook, concepts, etc Also because in SD the playbook and play calls were ran through Lynn. Which is a common way things are done in the NFL.

Which hold true in DET. With Lynn out and DC in the offense got even more conservative. Which suggests to me that the conservative offensive philosophy we see is heavily influenced by Dan. It’s what he wants to do.

Yes, I bet he misses Cephus. That connections seemed to be developing. Reynolds is a pro. He played really well yesterday.

2 Likes

YES!!! Love both Goff and Matt as humans. Root for Goff because he’s a Lion…AND a good human!

Goff is fixable, IMO. Does he know how to get the help he needs? Most people don’t. I agree with your prediction and take. I think it’s a long shot that he gets the right help.
Coaches will try to fix his technique, throwing motion, footwork, etc. He needs to fix his IDENTITY, emotions, connect to his power…with PASSION! Right now, he’s in a powerless sort of victim mode. He CAN do it. Will he? Doubtful.

Please call me, Mr Goff…

Well, don’t call me “Mr Goff,” call me Rocky.
I mean…
“Mr. Goff, please give me a call.”

I am complete here! :wink:

This is not objective in of itself brother: it’s emotional

We had a new wr start his first game as a Lion yesterday but also a guy Goff knew well. An upgrade from our current grouping without his addition.

And with Swift doing his thing ~ 9-9 to start the game….

His best game ever, with a decent addition at WR, Swift as a healthy RB and he was mentally rested…

He still shows potential……

As many agree upon at the start of this year, It’s Goff this year period and most likely next as well…

We fell apart on offense because the penalties and the injury to Swift broke us mentally…. Not because Goffs ability to play or be a decent (not great) starting QB

Time will tell but tens and this season as it’s unfolded is not it.

And I will say this that if a QB that can outplay Goff suddenly becomes available, take him for the right price.

And I still, currently, don’t like any QB in the top ten draft…

2 Likes

I would imagine that the degree of OC autonomy heavily varies from team to team and even year to year.

3 Likes

Except Detroit.

Here it’s “micromanaging”.

Me too.

Going on record once again that I still think he can be the long term answer at QB. I don’t think anyone is going to say that Reynolds would be a number one receiver on any other team, but he is BY FAR the best they have, and Goff looked better in game #1 with Reynolds.

3 Likes

Looked better in game #2 w/him, too.

Go figure.

3 Likes

He looked like a different player. I don’t think he threw a single wounded duck - mostly nice looking spirals.

2 Likes

That is who the Lions need as OC… Lynn was not the mastermind

After 2023 The Stafford Rams can win every game and all the Super Bowls for all I care.

Until then I delight in every loss. It DIRECTLY relates to an asset ‘bean’ the Lions will use for this rebuild

1 Like

I mean, he has only 1 fewer win against teams with a winning record than Stafford…

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

5 Likes

The Goff pick is exactly why we need to move on from Goff as soon as we have a viable option. He had a WIDE OPEN receiver cross right in front of him and he still threw it to a guy that was double covered.

3 Likes

I hope we can find a QB. I don’t think Goff is the answer. I DO think he is fixable. I’m not sure anyone in the organization knows how to do it.

If only we would have traded a 5th for the much cheaper Gardner Minshew. Hes more mobile, and more competitive

Every QB is going to make mistakes. Interesting that you pick that out (and it might admittedly be his worst throw of the year) in an otherwise very good game for Goff.

100% disagree with the take that because our QB made a mistake we need to move on and get a new one. That was Goff’s 1st pick in how many games? I’m not even bothering to look it up, but it has been several.

Also, I think they are heading in the right direction and I’m happy to see this young WR group starting to come together, but just think what Goff might look like with a better / more experienced receiver group.

I’m also certainly not wishing we had Minshew. Goff is going to win a lot of games when we put a bit more talent around him.

3 Likes

Like the one he had in LA?

Also had what many say is an “offensive genius” calling the plays.

One thing Jared Goff needs is a perfect pocket. Give him that and he can be average and sometime above average. He will still make mistakes and miss stuff though. He is certainly not a reason to pass on a QB in the draft…like Malik Willis or Ridder…(Ridder had a great chip game against Houston. Looked good)