Is Jamarr Chase the preferred WR?

Be careful with your words about Fields.

From experience.

2 Likes

I think Chase can be a top 5 WR. I see a bit of Davante Adams with him, which is a name I haven’t heard brought up much. All the intangibles and has dominated all of his competition. He’ll be a great pro.

I just think Smith is going to be a hall-of-famer. One of those players that defines the generation of football. IMO, Smith > Chase.

1 Like

Davante was the comp I gave him as well. DeAndre Hopkins is a good one too I think.

Also some sterling sharpe. He is by far who I want in the draft.

I do think we are talking in this case (Sewell) about a talent drop between him and any other non-QB. We’re probably not talking about a 2 year plan here. I think they are going to give Goff every opportunity. A guy like that who likes to sit in the shotgun could surely benefit from two great OT’s. Flip Decker or Sewell as you like. I do like him at RT early and helping us have a dominant running game. Sewell is a flat bully who caves entire sides of the Dline. I know we all talk about Goff and the passing game. But Lynn is going to run the ball. Staley and MCD are going to run the ball. We were 30th in rush attempts last year. You know what Anthony Lynn’s Chargers ranked? 9th. That is a whale of a difference and Bevell really “wanted” to run the ball. I think having two stud OT’s in years 3-4 may be a little more for us than a luxury. Play them wherever is best.

2 Likes

For me it’s Smith that looks more like Adams in that they both get instant separation at will all over the field. Adams is a bigger guy than either Smith or Chase and probably is a bit slower than either of them. I think both Adams and Smith’s superpower is getting open and I don’t think that is what Chase is great at. Adams and Chase do share similar strength type traits though.

My preference for a receiver is Chase, but I think Smith is going to be a very solid pro. Waddle is burner who will need time to develop as a receiver. I see Chase and Smith as guys who can play at a pretty high level now.

I keep thinking the smarter move is to take Parsons in the 1st and look for a receiver in the 2nd or 3rd. This draft has a lot of depth at receiver, and our defense badly needs help. Parsons looks like a guy who will anchor a defense for a decade. Plugging him in at LB makes the whole back 7 instantly better.

2 Likes

I think the Bengals could trade out. Maybe I’m hoping because it’s a prime spot for Sewell who I want. The top 4 QB’s go, then Cincy is on the clock with all the pass catchers in hand. Say they like Slater and a 2nd round pick over Sewell only. Somebody may want to get ahead of Miami as they will either go pass catcher or OT. My hope is that a team takes the cheese for Chase. Whether it’s the Bengals or the team that trades into their spot. Miami then keeps Pitts in the state… Sewell, possibly the best player in the draft (yeah I said it) falls to us.

1 Like

I don’t see that comparison.

Adams is a good route runner. Who creates separation with very subtle moves that throw DB’s off route.

Chase really isn’t all that athletic. Meaning he’s not very quick, or fast, and he does not make quick cuts. He doesn’t get much separation by his route running. He’s not a bum either. He does however get separation when on vertical routes. He does a good job at boxing out defenders and winning contested catches. He’s more physical than subtle.

To be honest he reminds me of a cross between Marvin Jones and Kenny Golladay.

1 Like

I see that too. That’s probably better.

Ja’Marr Chase isnt athletic…and then gets proceeded to be compared to Kenny G and Marvin. Smh man. There is one reason to get a comp to those players. They both have the a strength of making the contested catch. And that’s where the comparison begins and ends. First off, saying Ja’Marr chase isn’t athletic in terms is speed is false. Dude ran a sub 4.5 40 (and that’s taking into account of adding .1 to his time due to his pro day). 4.48 is fast. It’s not a burner, but to highlight his speed as a weakness, or something that makes him not very athletic, is crazy.

Also, he tested at over 11ft on the broad jump and a 41in vertical. I don’t know all his testing numbers but I would say he is an elite athlete.

Justin Jefferson was an elite slot man. He was the guy asked to run the complete route tree. We have no idea what Chase is capable of in a different role. But what we do know, his is ELITE at the role he was asked to play. And because he is an elite athlete, I would be willing to bet he would operate out of the slot at a high level.

I would love to know his complete testing numbers vs KG and Marvin. I would guess he would blow them out of the water (I could be wrong). But for that to be his comp. makes me want to barf. If that’s who Chase is, I wouldn’t take him top 10. Thank god that might be his floor, not his ceiling.

2 Likes

It makes sense that Chase could be viewed as a safer pick because he has the average height/weight combo you like to see, plus he can do basically everything. He’s an awesome prospect and I’d be quite happy if we selected him. I think Smith is more of a natural at the position however and I think he’s a little better. It’s a 1a 1b situation for me.

I think you are falling into the trap of vastly overrating what one offensive tackle can do. I have no illusions of unrealistic expectations, which is why I’m opposed to over investing in the position.

3 Likes

It’s not just one OT in our case, it’s completing an OL and establishing an identity. I understand your argument of over-drafting a RT and agree that finding one at the top of 2 should be achievable. But, if we’re selecting a WR and OT in the 1st 2 picks, I’d sooner select WR at the top of 2.

That’s the way it spells out for me on paper anyway. I really am not dug in on anyone.

I agree. As tempting as it is to take a WR at 7, I think Parsons @ 7 and the best WR available @ 41 might be more impactful to the overall team. The defense is desperate for a playmaker.

2 Likes

Agreed but man is he fun to watch. At Oregon games I would find myself chuckling that it’s a freaking Offensive Lineman that I’m focusing on with every snap. But he was the most entertaining guy to watch. More so than Herbert even.

I think a little bit of that was scheme. Cristobal seemed to really enjoy giving Sewell some fairly absurd assignments that Sewell would then almost always execute. Watching a 330lb sprint to the outside corner and take him out (or often times just have that corner give himself up) is pretty damn entertaining. Oregon did a lot of that in their screen game in ‘19.

So while you’re totally right about your theories on OL, and I’m probably overrating wow moments as opposed to just sound technical OL play, Sewell is still a toy that I really, really want.

1 Like

I think Chase is definitely the best WR in the draft. So I would guess he is the preferred WR. There is no question to me he can play any WR spot and play it well.

1 Like

I don’t have that concern about any of the big three. I’m confident in all of them being studs minus injury.

For the record, even though Chase is probably consensus WR1, I like Smith>Waddle>Chase. Its been discussed alot in other threads. I’d be kind of bummed with Chase. I think alot of Chase’s success is due to Burrow.

2 Likes

Not really, I’m just watching him do what I said he did on tape. Will he be “just as dominant” as a rookie in the NFL? No. Is he a really really special player, the kind you want in the top 10? Hell yes. Elite size, elite agility for that size, elite awareness, nasty finisher. He’s much more of a “clean” prospect than the big 4 pass catchers, ALL of whom have non-elite traits to overcome. Trent Williams is bringing home 23M per, so I don’t know if his position is overvalued. But dude gets paid and methinks there IS a reason why.

1 Like

His actual impact on the game is limited, that’s my point. Offensive lineman have more of a negative impact on the game when they get below the point of competence than they bring to the table when they get above the point of competence. Being super awesome vs being above average isn’t that big of a difference…at least not the way people try to describe it. He’s still only blocking 1 guy per play, with the possibility of a chip and a block if he’s good enough. But no, a guy is not coming in and “collapsing entire sides of a defense” in the NFL. That’s what I call falling into the trap of thinking super awesome offensive lineman can impact the game at a higher level than they actually can.

1 Like