Is JJ a Starting Caliber NFL QB?

There’s definitely something there, but he is extremely raw. He will make some very impressive throws, but also go into the tank for extended periods. I’m not quite sold on him yet. I don’t think I would spend more than a late second rounder on him. Not that we need a QB right now… That we know of. Perhaps if he slips and Brad sees value. I do like his wheels and arm strength though and he could develop into something I suppose.

Accuracy still seems pretty sketchy at times.

Lots of raw talent though

2 Likes

I think he can be.
Would another year in college benefit him, absolutely.
Rumors are out there that he hasn’t made a decision either way yet.

4 Likes

If the draft experts say he’s not a 1st rounder… stay in school he can probably make 5 million on a NIL then get his stock up more for the 2025 draft

8 Likes

Accuracy is not the problem. He was 2nd in the nation with over a 74% completion rate.

It’s his processing skills that need to mature. That, and he has the same problem that a lot of young QB’s with a big arm have. He thinks he can fit throws into places he shouldn’t because of the arm.

He needs another year.

4 Likes

I can’t be the only one that sees this

2 Likes

I totally agree. But he has made a hand full of special throws on the run that only top nfl qbs can make. I think both he AND Jim should come back for 1 more year.

5 Likes

Someone will make him a first round pick IMO. He has both tangibles and intangibles in spades. Strong arm, quick release, 6’3, wheels to escape and do damage with his legs and a great humble leader.

He has been doing what he’s been doing with a good TE and running game but zero game breaking WRs. He’s won quite a few big time games through his career against legit defenses. I don’t think he’s ready to walk in and go CJ Stroud, but give him a developmental year and he can lead an NFL team. 6’3, arm, accuracy, wheels, good leadership skills, wins against top programs = First round pick.

3 Likes

You might be right. Can’t wait for Monday.

He has the ceiling of one for sure. Will he get there? Who knows. To me he has a little Drew Lock to his game. Really strong arm, uses it to his detriment sometimes. Questionable processor. I know many won’t like that comp, but there was a time Lock was considered a candidate to go first overall. A meh final season changed that, but he was still a good prospect with a high ceiling.

2 Likes

He will go in the first for sure. Has a good arm, can move well, A+ leadership. This year is a really good year for QBs.

I thought I read he just said he was going back for next year

If he goes pro he’ll need to sit. He’s not ready to start day one. He would benefit from another year in college.

1 Like

What I like to say about accuracy is…the guy has it or he doesn’t. Everyone will get more accurate as they get pro training. But the definition of “accurate” in the NFL is so much higher, it washes out. The only time a guy can “level up” on accuracy is if you see a fundamental flaw you can fix or if the offense he is running makes him look less accurate than he is.

Anthony Richardson is a good example a guy that has “accuracy issues” that can be addressed in the NFL. His issues related to decision making and command of the offense. Carson Palmer had a flaw where he would sail footballs. It had to do with his tendency to keep his left shoulder (lead shoulder) too high. He said he fought hard during his career to keep his left shoulder down.

So whenever someone brings up accuracy issues, the first question I ask is “can you pinpoint the problem?” If not…I would stay away. At least when it comes to early picks where you are giving the keys to the franchise to a kid.

1 Like

no.

I dont think so. I see Mike McMahon with a better program’s training

I agree, but in my mind Harbaugh is gone.

I might be in the minority but I think JJ is going to be a great QB if he goes in the right situation. He has the arm, the escapability, can create off structure and has made some clutch throws. Plus he’s only 20. If we needed a QB I’d be happy taking him witn a late first

5 Likes

Not necessarily the worst strategy. If either Hook or JJ work out the Lions gain some leverage with Goff’s contract or potentially with a trade piece or two (could trade Goff if BH has the balls). Not advocating for this - I like Jared and want him back - but it might give us some tremendous options if all three work out somehow.

1 Like

No, you aren’t in the minority. He’s going to be a great pro. Crazy to think too, his best football is still in front of him and he’s like 50-1 in his college career. Believe he brought his HS football team to the State Championship 3 straight years until the final season got shut down by Covid.

People are getting in their own way trying to overcomplicate the eval on him

1 Like