Is JJ a Starting Caliber NFL QB?

I’m not so sure, I’m seeing a Baker Mayfield ceiling

I’ve been wrong before

He is not even one of the top 5 QBs in college right now.

I would go ballistic if the Lions wasted a 1st round pick on him.

He is a good athlete. But in a world of great athletes he is not a freak. This is not to say he does not have a good arm. My issue with him is everything is a fast ball. I have not seen him drop it in the basket or rarely have. And I get it his WR are not elite.

Calib
Nix
Penix
Ewes

Just of the top of my head are 4 better prospects than JJ starting in college today. And I kind of like Primes son more but I have concerns over him also.

Listen JJ is good. Really really good and an even better athlete. And I think his head is screwed on right. But being a top half NFL QB is insanely difficult. And he is absolutely NOT a can’t miss type. Maybe get in 3/4/5 round and let him marinate 2 years in the right system with the right coach and maybe he comes out the other end.

2 Likes

He seems a lot like Alex Smith to me. Good when they have the training wheels on him, ask him to take over a game, and it gets ugly really quick.

When have we seen ugly? He has lost one game. Sure it was not great, but that is a large generalization from not ever really seeing it. It may be true but we have no clue.

Every QB had bad games. But there is 0 to back that up from his play so far.

If he was there in 3rd, I would like him. Not in first for this lions team. We are entering a good window and need impact players from first that help sooner.

2 Likes

Harbaugh has had training wheels on JJ for the majority of his college career. Heck, he practically took the ball away from JJ in the Penn State game. While that has probably helped Michigan to get where they are, it has almost certainly not helped JJ to develop into an elite NFL prospect. It may have JJ with a false sense of where he’s at, but eventually we’ll learn the truth. I think he’ll probably come back to college, cause he’s not ready for the NFL.

1 Like

JJ has had a guy by the name of Blake Corum during most of his 50-1 record, a great O-line and game plans designed to run the ball.
When a need to start throwing the ball comes into play, if the play is schemed right he is very capable of executing the play called, if the play is not there his reads are very late.
I am a huge Blue fan, but I don’t see him ready for the NFL. What do the scouts see? I believe there take is JJ is at least 2 years away from ever hitting the field. To me, thats a 3rd-5th round pick.

1 Like

Harbaugh wasn’t on the sideline for the game. Moore made the decision after the offensive line could not block anyone. JJ was 7/8 in the first half. No QB does anything if they have 0 protection.

Michigan has 0 game changing WRs. I think judgement either way is too hard to make.

You don’t think he would look pretty good in college with WRa like they have at OSU given his great completion percentage.

He has played a much more NFL type system and would take him over many QBs he just run the shotgun. I would take him over Hooker if I had a choice for both age and potential. Tennesee system even make Milton look decent with stats.

It was Moore, thought of that after I posted, but didn’t seem important enough to edit.

username checks out

I mean to be fair to Spartansd, this is arguably the greatest year ever of college QB’s. Likewise it’s going to be an awesome NFL draft if your team is in need of a signal caller

I don’t disagree on the processing, I think he has improved a lot in that area but has more to do in that area.

1 Like

It is. I think every team should plan to get a QB in the upcoming draft.

I am biased but I have also watched a lot of Michigan football. JJ is different. His floor is NFL starter. He’s already proven he can run a pro-style offense. He is absolutely a first round pick if he goes.

1 Like

JJ was apparently hurt there for a few weeks with an ankle injury

1 Like

Forgot about that. He had a walking boot after the game that week. Supposedly barely was able to play vs Maryland.

1 Like

He was hurt, first game were he was close to 100% was the IA game.

1 Like

He’s more accurate than Locke and a much worse rapper.

JJ basically had to play 2 to 3 quarters only for first half of the season.

Michigan offense is based on running game. And that always helps qb. Goff needs it as well

I think he’ll be better in another offense. Michigan’s offense usually doesn’t allow much room for him to show his skills. He’ll be better in the pros with a more diverse offensive system.

1 Like

Daniel Kelly is down on him as a prospect. But ever since his analysis of Amon Ra from that draft, I tend to think I’d rather Kelly say bad things about a prospect. Talk about takes that aged like milk

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/lions-scouting-amon-ra-st-brown >

https://firstroundmock.com/2023/12/zach-wilson-is-better-than-j-j-mccarthy/#:~:text=McCarthy%20has%20average%20arm%20strength,inconsistent%20going%20through%20his%20progressions. >

1 Like