Is Rodrigo really a starting LB?

Fred Warner was good all of those years.
This pic below is from an article written before the 2021 season, when he signed his $85 million deal.
It mentions that he had coverage grades over 90 in both 2019 and 2020.

You don’t upgrade Rodrigo, you upgrade the position. We need a good LB so i hope they draft one, but you add a LB not subtract. Like DE’s or WR’s. You need several. Rodrigo is one of the starters.

Our LB’ers were bad. So i understand why people think he just won the job because of that, but thats not true. He earned it. He’s a very solid player. IMO he would have started for a lot of teams. And he was a rookie. DeAndre Levy was a 3rd round pick, and he had a lot going against him. He didn’t look like a guy who would end up being as good as he became. So who knows how good Rodrigo will be. As of right now he’s very solid. And thats good.

1 Like

There are DE/Edge. Guys who stand up to rush the passer, and guys with their hand in the dirt. Like Hutch. Then there are OLB/Edge. Rush the passer, and play LB. I think thats what they’re going for with Houston.

3 Likes

Everybody knows that players never improve after their first year. Might as well cut him now and move on.

3 Likes

This thought process was used to poo poo St. Brown’s rookie production on this message board

Does anybody else see Barnes as a better fit in the Charles Harris / Julian Okwara role…

SAM / Edge I do. I think he would fit nice there and could be a quality backup and rotational piece at MLB,Sam, and Edge.

The Will Harris of the front 7 I guess

We need a linebacker to play beside Rodríguez. Jack Campbell in the second round.

Why do people think, he can’t improve from year one to two.

2 Likes

I think the Rodrigo hype got a little out of control during the season. Call it the Hard Knocks effect or whatever, but I’d say he really only had an average year.

And that’s fine. He was a rookie, it was what I expected.

I said when we drafted him he wasn’t a guy who would hit the ground running and be a stud right away. I never expected that. He’ll be sound, he’ll silently improve throughout the year, and he’ll rarely make the same mistake twice.

This is the way his career went at Oklahoma State.

Then the next year he improved a little bit more, started to make more flash plays. Showed off his instincts.

Then by his third year all of a sudden it hits you that holy shit this guy’s a stud. Like 1st-team-All-American good.

I’m hoping (and mostly expecting) the same sort of trajectory here. He’ll never lose confidence, no one will outwork him, the more he sees things the more he’ll learn, it will be a steady rise to being a really, really good player. That’s the way I see it anyway. Admittedly I’m biased, but it’s already played out that way once.

3 Likes

I don’t think that’s it. Rodrigo is near his ceiling IMO. He’s not getting taller or faster.

1 Like

The whatever is the trash play we’ve seen at LB that he was instantly better than. You might not like Diet Pepsi, but when you’ve walked through the desert a few miles, a cold diet pop will be the best thing you’ve ever had to drink.

Do most players who improve year-over-year?

2 Likes

He also came in pretty polished. He’ll improve, but not like a toolsy raw guy who’d only been playing American football for three years. Kind of the definition of a high floor, low ceiling type. Turned out he was much better than anyone expected, but most likely his ceiling is still his ceiling.

Listed as LB.

I’m not sure what you mean? In 2021 we factually started like 8 different undrafted free agents…

Dean Marlowe- 700
Jerry Jacobs- 536
Jesse Lemonier- 161
Romeo Okwara- 188
AJ Parker- 557
Bobby Price- 152
CJ Moore- 158

• That’s about 2,500 snaps on D by undrafted free agents, and a handful more that had 70-100 each-

Brock Wright- 301
Netflix- 118
Tommy Kraemer- 238
Iggy- 98
Shane Zylstra- 82
Tim Boyle- 180
Tom Kennedy- 149
KhaDarel Hodge- 246
Trinity Benson- 279
Matt Nelson- 675

That’s 2,500 snaps on offense by UDFA too… When you figure we took about 1,060 snaps on offense and 1,100 on defense… That means 20% of our snaps were by players not drafted!!!

1 Like

You’re right, we should never try to improve on any position ever.

Sorry The Hangover GIF

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.