Is Stafford stuborn?

Yes you should get Lasic surgery if you can’t see it.

Then over the last 5 years, add in the sacks, lack of run game, hurries, lack of creative play designs, and limited time to throw. Stafford is easily a top 10 QB in this league.
Bevell is already proving this after just two games.
If Stafford had Bevell all along, he would be mentioned in some day being a HOF nominee.

1 Like

So Mr. JR, what exactly does Stafford bring to the table more than Brees? A Super Bowl? A division title? Even a few playoff wins? Because that is what I see and I am not sure if you see it…:eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:

1 Like

Easily!

Love the stat that someone posted a few days ago that showed Matt’s QB rating when pressured (was like 97.+) vs when he wasn’t (147.+). I think that was from the Cards game. While all QBs are consistently better when not pressured, our guy has spent a good portion of his career running for his life.

2 Likes

Perhaps you only watch NFL football when the Lions are on offense? There are tons of QBs who throw into tight windows. I will say Stafford’s arm strength sometimes makes the tighter throws look more impressive. Like the one to Kenny G for the TD on Sunday. Maybe not a tight window, but a perfectly placed rocket. Gem of a throw. He’s still a slightly above average NFL QB overall.

That’s fair.

Here’s why I could absolutely be wrong. Stafford has never appeared anything more than slightly upset when he’s at the podium after a loss. It’s always a calm, practiced - “we’ve got to do better next time” sort of speech.

While I don’t want a QB that melts down and throws temper tantrums on the mic after a game, I do want a QB that, every now and then, shows some sort of frustration after a loss like the one that happened with the Cardinals (Technically a tie). Every now and then, I want to see Stafford look pissed. I want to see that he cares more about the loss then he cares about regrouping and improving down the road later in the season.

I’ve seen guys like Brady, Favre, Brees - these types of guys look really, really pissed after losses. You can tell they are seething and just waiting to get out of the public eye so they can cuss someone out after a tough loss. We don’t see that as much with Stafford which is why I gave him a bit of a jab about his competitiveness.

I could absolutely be wrong about that. Maybe he’s just better at hiding his frustrations in public than some of the other guys - which isn’t a bad thing. My guess here is based on observation and speculation.

He’s very emotionally stable dude. He gets pissed on the sidelines. You can see it. I read him as a job that, when it comes right down to it, is grateful to be a millionaire with his adoring wife. His priority seems there. I don’t think he likes the podium.

You may be partially right about his fire. Not sure, as I haven’t spent time on the sidelines or the locker room. I think he does get pissed. I think he has metaled down in games, but only a few times in his career. He gets pissed on the sidelines. He is expressive after big plays too. Moreso over positive then negative. Interesting stuff.

2 Likes

In the long term, the people who are usually most effective in life are the ones that maintain an even keel. The people that get irrationally angry and project out onto others are a cancer and tear everything down around them.

See Antonio Brown or any other diva in the NFL. That’s how not to be.

2 Likes

Very true. So easy to see in cage fighters when it’s 1 on 1. Same in football. Group culture is so important, and the most important place you can hav a leader is at QB. Massive positive of our guy, and one of the biggest reasons I’m thankful we have him.

3 Likes

Yep, he’s stable for sure. I credit him for that. And, you’re right - I have seen him look upset on the sideline before.

All I’m saying is I’ve seen winning QB’s look a lot more competitive both on and off the field. But, again, this is me watching from my couch at home and I have absolutely no inside info nor do I get to see him when the cameras aren’t on and stuff. He might be competitive as hell when the cameras aren’t on.

But yes - I do consider his ability to control his emotions as a positive. Deep down though, I do think that, just once after one of these Lions-ish losses, just once, I’d like to see him cuss someone out. Not sure why lol…maybe that’s me projecting my own frustrations onto Stafford and I’m expecting him to say what I want to say to some of the players sometimes which…is obviously ridiculous.

I like Stafford overall. I hope I’m not coming across as anti-Stafford. It’s just one thing I’d like to see out of him as he approaches this point of his career. Just once, I want to see the Lions F up and Stafford step up and say “I’m not going to take this anymore, there’s going to be accountability in the form of me cussing someone out that blew it”.

1 Like

Stafford can do that side-armed at 40 yards!

That’s just 20 yards? How the hell are Olympic archers that bad? Are they using some awkward bare-bones bow? No sight pins or arrow rest?

I’m far from accurate with a bow but I can get 5-6/6 in my bullseye from 20-30 yards with my compound bow but just obtaining the same site picture and leveling the bow.

2 Likes

There is no more of a team sport than football. Stafford can’t bring team success any more than any other player in history. Nobody wins anything by themself and thinking they can is a problem. Matt can certainly improvise a whole lot more than Brees. When things break down Matt is still a threat all over the field with his arm talent. When the rush causes problems Matt can make lots of throws at different arm angles where Brees has no choice but to eat it or chuck it up into coverage.

1 Like

So then why pay him elite QB money? If your supposition is true, we can get more or less equal overall success from any QB

2 Likes

I beg to differ. Had the Lions drafted Brett Favre instead of trying to get by with Peete, Kramer, Gagliano, Ware, Frerotte, Mitchell, and Batch, we probably see a Super Bowl appearance during the Barry Sanders years. Since the Lions never obtained a franchise QB, that clearly made a difference.

4 Likes

I feel like we should have bought an OL for Barry, and roll with Kramer. Kramer was just a game manager, but when you have the box stacked against the run, and Moore, Perriman, and Morton usually single covered…Barry can win you a title.

We had 2 Heisman winning QBs on the roster (Ware and Pete) before the rookie salary cap was a thing. We could have bought an OL like Emmit had, for that money.

1 Like

Great players give you a better chance, but nobody does it without lots of help.

1 Like

Yes great players help, but nobody has done anything by themselves. That is the phony narrative pushed.

1 Like

Let’s make a couple of changes to how the Lions drafted.

First, other than Andre Ware, the two names most bandied about before the 1990 draft for the Lions were two pass rushers–Renaldo Turnbull and James Francis. Turnbull was more DE and Francis was the guy who could rush the passer, but also drop into coverage. Let’s say they pick either one of them instead of Ware.

Second, in 1991, let’s say the Lions still make the trade up with Dallas in Round 1, but take Brett Favre at No. 20 overall instead of Kelvin Pritchett. Lions would’ve been paying considerably less than Ware got for his rookie contract at No. 7 overall in 1990.

Finally, in 1991 Round 3, let’s say that instead of taking bust WR Reggie Barrett, the Lions take future Hall of Famer CB Aeneas Williams (a tall CB who could cover the Sterling Sharpes of the world).

Lions would have been a much better team than having two busts (Ware & Barrett), and a sometimes starter/journeyman level DT in Pritchett.

In that scenario, having a franchise QB, plus a couple of better selections on defense, would have made a world of difference.

1 Like

It is OK to criticize, but don’t plagiarize. I have never said that Rodgers wishes he had Stafford’s throwing ability. I have said that Brady, Manning and Brees wish they did which is true.

It took a ton of great coaching to turn Brett Favre into Brett Favre. We didn’t have that. Neither did the team that drafted him.

1 Like