Is Taylor Decker worth $10.35M in 2020

It’s not one game. For whatever reason, he hasn’t been the same since his rookie season.

I say no.

1 Like

What’s the alternative?

1 Like

Depends on how he plays after yesterday’s debacle. If he can get himself to at least average, then you tender him while you look at other options. I suppose you could also tender him if you want to move him somewhere else on the line. He won’t even finish as our starting LT this year if he doesn’t improve.

1 Like

Tackle class could be pretty terrific next draft. Though that would mean we forgo a Jeudy or Shenault or stud like Delpit depending on how high we pick.

Considering the way he’s played since his rookie year, I’d say the answer is no. He was getting beat like a drum out there in Arizona; still time for him to turn it around I guess, but I don’t see it happening. He looks like a man who doesn’t really want to play football that much any more.

But then the question becomes, who replaces him? Crosby? No thanks, he sucks as bad as Decker does, and that’s against backups. Sign an FA LT for big bucks? They didn’t exactly get their money’s worth with Wagner, so I’m a little hesitant going there. Draft an LT early in 2020? They need to do that anyway, since one assumes that Decker is gone after 2020 and so is Wagner. But would that person be an improvement? Eventually, maybe.

Maybe the Lions try to make do with Decker and Wagner, using their TEs to chip block somebody before releasing downfield. Or the Lions run more plays to get the ball out sooner or hand it off to the RB more often. But that requires a better effort from the IOL than they got in Arizona, who was that Hicks guy? Or Stafford’s got to roll out more often, especially to his left.

So, is Decker worth over $10 mil in 2020? Highly doubt it, but what’re you gonna do?

2 Likes

So we spend yet ANOTHER 1st round pick on an offensive lineman?

1 Like

What’s the alternative? Not a snark, but an honest question.

2 Likes

No cap hit to dump him, I say Decker take a huge pay cut or you can “GIT OUT!!!”

Just draft a replacement or use FA to find a stop gap…it couldn’t be worse.

1 Like

The Lions have been trying to draft or sign a good OL for a very long time. It hasn’t worked out too well, I guess you just keep trying

1 Like

I think it’s a no brainer that we have to re-invest in the O-Line in the next draft. Probably with 2 picks. While I’m starting to think this team is going to end up with a really bad record this year and a top 5ish pick in the draft, they actually do have less holes to fill than in years past. D-Line is set (if they actually show up and play), TE is set, LBs are not a huge need. We should go into the offseason looking for depth in the secondary, another WR and offensive linemen. Of course if we go off the rails and Stafford plays like garbage, we could go QB in round 1 and then everything changes.

Bottom line, I would not marry myself to Decker unless he starts playing at a pro bowl level for the rest of the year and not just a game or 2.

1 Like

It’s not ideal, Wes. Hopefully he can get it turned around and be competent. I certainly don’t want to spend a top 10 pick on an OL.

Perhaps we kick the tires on Trent Williams.

Hopefully he recovers and plays more competently. Yesterday was just putrid. He and Agnew are the two guys I’m most disappointed in.

1 Like

Someone mentioned it in the game thread and I think it has merit… trade decker and a 3rd to Washington for Williams.

2 Likes

A greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray, that’s what he is worth. I take that Trent Williams deal as soon as today

2 Likes

This. Make it happen. Quinn should feel the pressure to win now and make a bold move. Williams could be solid for 3-4 years which is better than what we’ve had for decades.

Least fav Lion 2 years ago - Ebron
Least favorite Lion last year - Lawson
This year - Decker, unless he does something really quick

Honorable mention to Agnew. He’s not the same guy, since his injury. He lacks the quickness and speed he used to have, and his lack of sure hands make him no longer worth the risk. Negatives far outweigh the positives, as he no longer appears to be a threat to hit the home run.

2 Likes

Simple

It depends on how he plays for the 2019 season not just one game.
He had a tough time against two monster pass rushers …plain and simple. First game…little slow maybe to react.

That decision doesn’t need to be made until the off season after we see his entire body of work this year

2 Likes

Taylor Decker allowed 2 sacks, 7 total pressures and committed 4 penalties against Arizona, per @PFF.

— kyle meinke (@kmeinke) September 9, 2019
3 Likes

Matt Kalil is still available.

1 Like

looks like a 5.25 mil band-aid. Are we in win now mode?
I’m not a cap dude, so I have no idea if this is worth it or not?

Kalil signed a one-year deal back in March that would’ve been worth $7.5MM had he stayed on the active roster the whole season. He received a $2.25MM signing bonus which the Texans will have to eat, but they’ll save the other $5.25MM by cutting him now.

1 Like

We’re thin at OT anyway. Seems like a no brainier, at least on a one year try out deal.

1 Like