Is this worse than Charles Rogers bust?

Rogers actually was productive…he had three TDs in his first five games before his injury

Talking about on the field.

1 Like

The more I watch and learn about Okudah the more I’m convinced that he’s an athletic safety that is trying to be a corner. Its time to move him back to his real position and only dabble with CB looks.

I see what you’re saying but I question his reaction time. He’s always caught flat footed. I’ll reiterate. He was a bad pick to begin with. He was evaluated on the wrong skill set. O$U had him strictly playing man. As AP mentioned during an interview, you don’t strictly play man in the NFL. There was no tape where he played zone in college; otherwise, you would have seen his deficiencies.

1 Like

Yes!

1 Like

I feel bad for Okudah. What a shitty fan base labeling him as a bigger bust than Charles Rodgers (for anyone doing so).

Charles Rodgers was an alcoholic crack addict with a poor attitude.

Okudah is a young player that works very hard with a long ways to go that has suffered some unfortunate injuries…one of which he tried desperately to play through despite requiring surgery.

Any fans that can’t identify the massive difference between these two players is a dumbass. Apologies for being rude about this.

It’s going to be an uphill battle to recover from a ruptured achilles and come back to play at a high level. Especially since he hasn’t been (yet) able to hit that high level of play prior to the injury.

9 Likes

Welcome to the club.

2 Likes

If you can’t understand that fans are only comparing the two based on their high draft position and unfortunate injuries in their first two seasons then maybe you need to hold that mirror a little closer my friend. Both players were/are slow to justify their draft position(s) because of injuries and anything off the field doesn’t even need to be mentioned.

2 Likes

No.

Lions passed on HOFer Troy Polamalu and future HOFers Andre Johnson & Terrell Suggs, and long-term starters with post-season honors, Terence Newman, Kevin Williams, and Marcus Trufant, for a known pothead.

Other than QB (which they didn’t need at the time), hard to say who the Lions passed on at No. 3 overall in 2020. Outside of Chase Young, who wasn’t available, I don’t see any future HOF position players in the top 10.

I understand completely and stand by my comment.

I prefer to look at the bigger picture I guess. Agree to disagree good sir.

1 Like

So at that time in 2002 you knew who would be Hall of Famers?? You knew that absolutely none of those players would bust??

Well if you did just that…you would see that people were only correlating the high draft position and the injuries…circumstances are very similar and that’s why you have the comparison.

2 Likes

We’re evaluating Charles Rogers bust level in relative terms and in hindsight–already knowing that he’s a bust.

Outside the QBs and Chase Young, the top of the 2020 NFL draft could turn out looking a lot like the top half of the 2013 NFL draft–not very good.

Anyway, the Lions were grossly negligent in taking pothead Rogers–and that’s not a product of hindsight. The reports of his marijuana use were well known prior to the draft. I didn’t want him.

My guy going into the draft was Terrell Suggs for one simple reason. He had 24 sacks in his senior year of college at a major college program. You don’t get that kind of production unless you’re a great pass rusher.

If the Lions were going to go WR, I wanted Andre Johnson because I thought his bigger/thicker body type made more sense for the crossing routes across the middle in the WCO. His comp for me was Terrell Owens.

1 Like

My point exactly…you are using hindsight as fact. It’s not a fair comparison and you are ignoring the fact that the two are only being compared because the similarities in circumstance of their first two seasons ending prematurely because of injuries…especially year two for both ending after game one

The original question was “Is this worse than Charles Rogers bust?”

My answer was “NO.”

I stand by that and, quite frankly, I don’t think Okudah is ever going to reach the Charles Rogers bust level.

1 Like

And really that’s all that needed to be said.

You DON’T take a CB that early unless he is a Deion Sanders kind of guy.

I wanted Simmons after a trade down. A bigger, stronger, faster player that had the physical tools to overcome the steep learning curve for the position. Week 1 this year Simmons was all over the place. Simmons lead his team in total tackles, solo tackles and passes defended.

I don’t take him even if he’s Deion. If you want Deion just let someone else take him and raise him. Then grab him in free agency or trade for him.

Agreed, its a tough debate as we have the value of hindsight but IMO if I were the one on position to draft it would not have been Okudah.
Nothing against him as a player but a trade down was warranted. I can guarantee an offer was presented bit “smartest” Quinn didn’t budge…

2 Likes

The lack of trades in the 1st round that year suggests there wasn’t much trade action available. Given that it was covid year and teams were split up and out of sorts…it makes sense they were a little spooked and just stayed put and trusted their boards. The first trade of the entire first round was the teams at 13 and 14 swapping places. Then the next trade didn’t happen until 10 picks later at 23.

Sometimes the proof is in the pudding. And the overall inactivity of the 2020 first round is pretty eery in how little action there was.

1 Like