Is this worse than Charles Rogers bust?

1 Like

Taken him 3rd overall has sent us back again. You have to hit the nail to build a super bowl. We don’t have the luck like GB, NE, 49ers, Pitt, TBay, Seattle, and sure there’s other. To be good you have to draft good and get free agents who aren’t depth type players. We suck at both.

I agree with this totally. Personally I would have taken Simmons or one of the QBs

I will respectfully disagree with you in the argument Charles Rogers was an alcoholic crack addict… that he was not when drafted. He had his injuries, had the wrong people around him… but when drafted before his first collarbone injury looked every bit the part of a good WR.

The drugs and alcohol unfortunately became an issue during his rehab.

That being said, Rogers showed way more potential than Okudah straight out in the nfl.

Not saying Okudah is never going to be good (although it’s not looking great now) but he was drafted into a bad position, struggled, and now has a career altering injury. I don’t even know I could compare him to Bryant Westbrook who had some flash before suffering the same.

It sucks for Okudah and in the end I hope he can overcome it

1 Like

This is incorrect. What Rogers really needed was to get out of Michigan and be drafted by a team that would pull him away from the people he associated with growing up and met along the way. I attended Michigan State when Rogers was there and while I didn’t hang out with him regularly my brother did. There were a few observations I brought up to the board back then. The first being that my brother used to smoke weed and play Madden with Rogers. The second was that way back then Rogers was listed at 6’-4". My brother is a legit 6’-4" and Rogers was clearly not quite as tall as my brother, so I said when the combine comes around that will be adjusted (and it was). The combine is also where Rogers had the diluted piss sample because he tried to cheat to pass the drug test…because he couldn’t stop smoking long enough to trust his own piss.

That MSU squad had some issues, and Rogers was a part of that group that was into drugs (not just weed). The QB even got suspended for “substance abuse” and there were several other “incidents” that the coaches couldn’t keep under wraps.

4 Likes

Right on, I did not know a lot of that. Now that you mention it I do remember something about the diluted sample at the combine… anyway I stand corrected. It’s sad how bad it got after his pro career ended.

That, I was not aware of. I always thought it was something he carried on from college?

Either way, what a damn shame. Drugs and alcohol can be fun in controlled moderation, but it’s a slippery slope to play with. Rodgers is a strong example of that. Doesn’t matter who you are or what you do…if they get a control of you… :pensive:

1 Like

Yeah I was wrong, I thought the issues started after the pros but it was before. And you are absolutely right. They can be fun in moderation but it’s when you can’t moderate it anymore. So many people struggle with it.

2 Likes

But you are very correct about Rogers out of the gate. His very first game he scored two TDs and then he scored another against Denver in game 5 before his season ending injury. He certainly looked the part. Drugs didn’t seem to affect him then and I can’t say if drugs would have eventually affected or not if he didn’t get hurt. I know in his second year he, again, looked the part in pre-season before he got hurt on the first series against the Bears. It’s was all down hill from there.

1 Like

I remember that first game against the Cardinals, I was so excited for him. He definitely looked the part in the brief time he played.

1 Like

They ran a defense where no one was allowed to be faster than the obese head coach…

therrrrrre it is

I don’t think C-Rog’s drug use resulted his flaming out (not to say it might not have later); rather, he broke his collarbone…back to back and that was it.

I guess you could say that if he was a real Tim Tebow type he would have come back from all that and succeeded and not been such a mess upon his return, but that seems attenuated for me. Calvin didn’t just start smoking weed after retirement and he had a lengthy and successful career.

Randy Moss said he smoked alot of weed as well.

But Roger’s was into alcohol and other stuff as well.

1 Like

He threatened to kill his mom did he not? That must have been a hell of a collarbone injury.

I think Wesley said it best…Rogers needed to be drafted by a different team, somewhere far from the bad company he kept. It’s really sad that he shitted on what should have been a Hall of Fame career

2 Likes

This is such a bad argument, really. Charles was going to find drugs in whatever city you put him in, this follows his history and trajectory.
Now, some guys just need to meet that one person in their life that changes them, kind of makes them see the light…it didn’t matter if it were in Detroit, Flint, prison, a new girl, having a kid, or whatever…and some guys are just hopeless, caught in their own world and can’t ever escape.
Did Chuck not meet that person that could have turned his life around?..or was he doomed by his affinity for drugs? Lots of players who were drafted out of state that never reached their potential because of money and outside influences, like drugs.
Some guys can relocate and change, some guys can’t, …we won’t ever know with Chuck one way or the other…which is why it’s kind of a weak argument to say that all he needed was to move. In reality, all he needed was to meet that one person to spark that change in his life.

2 Likes

It’s not even an argument….it’s just an opinion. And I’m just agreeing with what Wesley said. Wes was on the MSU campus while Rogers was there and said his brother hung out with him. I can agree with a person who actually knew Rogers personally more than I can agree with one who didn’t know him, no offense to you Snags!

2 Likes

No worries, my stance is still the same.

2 Likes

All good my man…Matt Millen said in hindsight he would not have granted Rogers permission to be away from the team after that second collarbone injury. That’s when the drugs and I assume the alcohol abuse got way out of hand

1 Like