Is Trey Flowers Contract the Worst in Detroit Pro Sports History?

The Johan Franzen contract was a tough one to swallow. Especially when you take into account that we lost Hossa because of it.

4 Likes

Yeah. It seems Detroit teams have to over spend.

Pat Swilling
Uwe Krupp

Just throwing a few names in the hat for consideration.

3 Likes

Was just gonna say uwe Krupp, but I forget how much they paid him. Don’t think he ever played a game for the wings

16.4M

1 Like

Not Trey flowers bad, but it is hockey so lower salary cap… still pretty bad!

1 Like

Detroit Sports

Some good names on this list. I definitely thought about Josh Smith. Andre Drummond deserves honorable mention; he put up some of the least meaningful stats ever on the hardwood.

The Pistons have had so many lately. Josh Smith, Ben Gordon, Reggie Jackson, Blake Griffin, Charlie V, the list goes on and on.
For the Lions, Swilling was a disaster. He suddenly turned into a below average player as soon as he became a Lion.

THE WINNER!

4 Likes

This was the FA class for 2019. If you ever want to know why the Lions are so bad, I feel like this could sum it up in a nutshell. Look at what the Packers were able to get compared to the Lions. They signed Z’Darius Smith, Preston Smith, and Adrian Amos for the same price as Trey Flowers and Justin Coleman. Close enough anyway, I know their are SB considerations but even the guaranteed money isn’t that big a difference when they got three starters vs two guys that haven’t really been on the field. Then take that 2019 draft when we took Hock and Tavai and almost immediately after us they took R. Gary and Elgton Jenkins. Then got 11 recieving TDs from Tonyan, the guy we cut in 2020 than we got out of our top 10 TE. I mean the Packers had to be dying laughing on the Tavai pick when they walked up the very next pick and took Jenkins.

1 Like

Josh Smith

2 Likes

I actually got a chuckle out of the Packers spending an early pick on Rashan Gary. As much as a fan of the worst franchise in the history of the universe can laugh at a team on a 30 year hot streak.

1 Like

That run they had from like 2001-2007 was unreal. One of the smartest and most selfless basketball teams I’ve seen play.

2 Likes

I heard he asked to be traded to Denver because he knew one day the Broncos would draft Javonte

Yup - Loved them so much. Tough and smart. Wish Sheed wouldn’t have left Horry wide open for a game winning 3. Could/should have won another title.

2 Likes

So much truth and insight here. Can’t believe I didn’t even notice that.

1 Like

The Tiger’s tried to make a worse signing when they traded a ton of prospects for Jaun Gonzalez but he turned down the 8 year $140M extension!

1 Like

Gonzalez turning down that deal was huge. He hated it here and he really hated CoPa. He was right about the fences though. He ended up making just under $40m for his career after turning down the $140m from Detroit.

This is how bad Rick Smith was as a GM. He only played 4 more years total and missed half the games in those years at age 31-34…to offer a guy who was CLEARLY juicing, along with most of a lot of that Rangers team he came from…damn, we hate Millen, but Rick Smith was terrrrrible.

Uwe Krupp is a nice catch. Total cash flush for a guy that could have really helped. Juan Gone is Kinda like Marian Hossa, except Hossa played well for the Blackhawks.

Franzen deal…you knew that was gonna suck because he was so physical…just a matter of time before he broke down.

Zimmerman- His first 2 months that first-year he was Cy Young winner level. Hurt his neck, was never right again. Kept getting hurt.
Don’t Pay # 2/3 Starters. That’s the lesson.

Prince- Yeah we dumped it, so phew, but that was terrible. Again, no way he completes a 9 yr deal carrying around 90 extra pounds. Then Mini Miggy rookie Avisail Garcia puts the hambone to his wife…Not Good. Go Google the symmetry between he and his fathers home run totals. It is absolutely spooky and only just starts with their career totals are exactly the same…noooo, it gets a lot weirder.

Sheff- This was s great deal until Jimmy Smokes put him in RF. This guy could RAKE, and IMO should be a serious HoF candidate…but was an injury time bomb…Jimmy puts him in right, Im watching the game and as soon as that blooper was hit I knew he and Polanco were going to mess each other up. Polanco’ s giant melon and all…and yeah, Sheff was never right again after the collision and knee injury.

BG and CV were just brutal signings. Stan Van Gundy is the Devil. Such a PoS. Blake G…wtf.

I’m going to add to the pile with Justin Coleman and really every ex-Patriot we signed. Total waste of time and money, just like Fat Boy and Smaht Guy.

Screw.you, Fords. The end.

4 Likes

Lol. It was all lumpy too.

1 Like