Is Trey Flowers Contract the Worst in Detroit Pro Sports History?

Used to go up to Seattle every year when the Tigers came into town. The first several years we were on a nice win streak. I haven’t gone much the last several years and haven’t caught a win in a long time. Last win I saw I was walking to get a beer and a dog when Sheff hit a grand slam that landed not far from me

1 Like

You know who doesn’t get enough props for being a guy that should have had more HoF love as a Tiger 2nd Baseman?

I mean besides Sweet Lou, greatest HoF snub in our lifetime w/o outside circumstance…

It’s Polanco. No I don’t mean he should be in the HoF. But his numbers? Well, they aren’t very different from some guys with similar profiles like Rizzuto and Mazeroski. Elite Glove guys.

Now also, I don’t think Maz belongs. But, Polanco is both thre highest fielding% 2b In The History of Baseball…oh and the highest fielding % THIRD BASEMAN. in the history of baseball. Fielding% is a balky stat for sure…but his 19 defensive Wins Above Replacement is good for 59th all time across all positions…better than Sweet Lou (16.3, 95th) and just alittle short of Tram(22.7, 33rd all time). Polanco by that measure for just 2b is 6th, behind 3 HoF, Frank White and Willie Randolph.

Lifetime .297 hitter…good for top 50 in the last 50 years. 2150 hits is light, and no power or speed…but he’s also one of the hardest guys to strikeout ever, especially post-war era.

Underappreciated genius for small ball in The Steroid Era.

4 Likes

Matt Flynn owes the lions a fruit basket and a thank you card.

1 Like

The victor martinez contract wasn’t a great one either.

Seattle either bought high or bought when they were high. It’s this kind of insight / timing that would have you buying Facebook (Meta) stock a week ago. Who in their right mind would give a $20 million contract to a guy that had one outstanding afternoon against one of the worst, if not the worst run team in professional sports? They were fortunate to have drafted Wilson.

1 Like

Absolutely correct!

1 Like

But is it?

1 Like

This thread hurts my soul

2 Likes

source

1 Like

You’re all wrong. The GOAT in pay for no play IS…former Lions QB Chase Daniels.

In his 11 NFL seasons — which included stints with the Saints, Chiefs, Eagles, and Bears — Daniel has made just five starts and thrown seven career touchdowns. As of right now, Daniel is at $34,309,164 million in career earnings. Let’s crunch the numbers. That comes out to:

• $6,861,833 per game started
  • $4,901,309 per touchdown thrown
  • $230,263 per pass completion
  • $157,381 per pass attempt

Among longtime NFL backups, no other quarterback in NFL history comes close to Daniel’s income per attempt. And all those numbers now have a chance to go even higher.

This article is from 2020, have to check with Deadstroke but I believe he made another $4 million plus in 2020 and 2021, 3 from us and 1 from the Chargers. In any event, no one has stolen money like this dude.

4 Likes

Fox isn’t even getting that sort of money! Daaaaamn!!

#legatron

1 Like

I’m going Atticus (The old “before I read yours”)

First thought was Prince Fielder for Detroit sports.

Albert Haynesworth for outside of Detroit

1 Like

I can’t believe people are saying prince
Numbers with Detroit didn’t miss a single game.
55 hrs 214 rbis batted 313 and 279. He was here to help us win a world series ,And the tigers chocked. Zimmerman hands down was way worse just. Years were dumb, but that’s part of mlb.

$23M 2012
$23M 2013
$30M to Rangers

$38M per year for two good years, it was a horrible contract and we were lucky to get out of it when we did.

2 Likes

Yet his numbers say different. Let’s not play dumb, Zimmerman by far was way worse, hell extended miggy was really bad. You know baseball you sign players to long year deals. The years were dumb. But his numbers say he was worth it. Two years better then a month of Zimmerman.

Miggy extension was dumb, Zimmerman was dumb, but Fielder was dumb also. $38M per year for his production was horrible.

1 Like

Again did you see his numbers with the tigers in two years. They weren’t awful and didn’t miss a game. Upton should be on the list over prince. He also went to a pitcher friendly ball park for 81 games. His numbers were going to drop because of the that.

Yr1? Totally worth it. 940 OPS, 155 OPS+. He outplayed his salary that year.

Yr2? Not nearly close to Yr1. 819 OPS (worst of his career to that point and worst for any full season he ever played) 122 OPS+. Meh.His walks were down and a 35 point drip in his batting average.

This is the year Avi Garcia was banging his wife. He had another year of comparison to his Dad, who he doesn’t speak to due to Cecil playing fast and loose with Princes money and familial issues. Then the wretched playoff performance and he was probably playing hurt, given how his body fell apart the year after…

They were incredibly lucky to get out of that contract…and remember they had to pay Texas like $30m of it, so they didn’t get all the way out

So did Zimmerman ever out play his contract? No, so the clear answer is Zimmerman. I would still take princes 2nd year then any current Tiger. Upton was just as bad. MI I wanted a WS so it was the right move getting a big bat in the lineup, and it worked, just Detroit teams choke in the playoffs. And Josh Smith is way worse then prince by a lot. But people forget about that. Or hell trading for Blake Griffin maybe the worse move in Detroit history