It's becoming so obvious what the Lions need to do at the top of the '22 draft

It’s hard to get a totally clear picture in a team sport like football. Yes, Mac Jones walked into a much better situation than Wilson.

Yet from the get-go, Jones has shown recognition and processing skills plus incredible accuracy. That’s pretty much what was on display at the Senior Bowl for everyone to see. He can’t launch it 60 yards like Josh Allen, the QB mold du jour. There was scuttlebutt that Jones was going to SF at #3. I scoffed at that then–a certain sign that it was feasible–and now SF would rewrite history if they could.

angry conan obrien GIF by Team Coco

3 Likes

I don’t know that he should go at the very top of the draft, but Sam Hartman of Wake Forest is starting to gain some real momentum. Draft Wire has him as their #1 ranked QB and when I watch him I can see it.

His arm is lively, he’s a very good deep ball passer, he’s got good movement skills, he’s leading a talent-poor team to their best season… maybe ever. He’s a touch on the small side (listed at 6’1, 200) and he’s more likely to return to school than come out, but if he does enter the draft he’s someone we should probably be scrutinizing pretty heavily.

I think we will see some serious hype around the QB’s once the combine and pro days hit. The hype machine hasn’t even really started and so many QB’s are rising and falling. If Malik Willis or Matt Corral blow up those events it’s not that far of a jump to #1 overall for both of them.

We just need a team to fall in love with a QB, trade down and fill out this roster with some serious talent. We are set up pretty well right now with Houston drafting 2nd and being a QB needy team.

2 Likes

I don’t expect Houston to win another game, and I think it’s likely that the Lions will win at least one, so… Nostradamus and I agree that the Lions will be picking at 20A.

1 Like

Seems to happen every year where some QB goes flying up the draft boards and gets over drafted. Let’s not be the team that reaches for a QB. Take the elite talent at the top of the draft. I’d consider a QB with the Rams pick though, if they really like one still on the board.

If we could add Sewell and Thib’s in back to back drafts, essentially you have added the top o-lineman and top D-end in back to back drafts. If you can dominate the LOS, you got a shot moving forward.

1 Like

That would be so fitting for the Lions to go 1-15-1 and miss out on Thib’s, lol I can see it happening for sure.

1 Like

While that would suck pre-draft, you never know how these things will turn out. Clowney was even more hyped than Thibs and he certainly didn’t live up to his draft status. (I think the Texans would have been far happier with Khalil Mack or Aaron Donald, both of whom went after Clowney). Could be a blessing in disguise

2 Likes

If that’s the case, why stop at 1 win. Let’s go 2-14-1. A man can dream right!

1 Like

Just like missing Chase young because Gurley messed it up for the Falcons.
Ouch

1 Like

You joke but Hamilton is a STUD and safety is a huge weakness. Obviously you want a trade down but Hamilton is a stud. Tibs is a good player but there are concerns about his motor and he has admitted to taking plays off….elite talent but it’s honestly too bad will Anderson has to wait till next year to come out bc he is head and shoulders above tibs.

1 Like

And then they did, lol :laughing: say it again!!!

1 Like

Pretty sure Safety is the last position Holmes would draft in the first round, even with the Rams pick. He has had so much success getting guys 3rd round or later that he’s not going to spend a 1st or likely 2nd at that position.

1 Like

I didn’t expect that… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

1 Like

And the current safeties have played much better this year under Pleasant and Glenn. And yes even Will Harris has improved a bit. We have no pass rush, rookie UDFA’s starting @ corner and nickel and the pass defense hasn’t been too bad, and we are even forcing some INT’s. That’s some real good coaching in the secondary.

2 Likes

Just say no to no-show Tibby Dough.

1 Like

I have been in the tibs camp all year. But he has motor issues and hutch doesn’t……leaning towards hutch……

2 Likes

I think we all agree we could use a dominant pass rusher. I mean what team couldn’t, really?

Here is my question back: If Thibs NFL comp was Harold Landry and not Myles Garrett, how would you feel about him?

Also, how do ya’ll feel about DeMarvin Leal?

I watched the Utah game Saturday night, and I just kept waiting for Thibs to make an impact and show why he should be a top pick in the draft. It just never happened, he made a few tackles, but wasn’t impacting the game much at all and they got destroyed 38-7. I know he’s been banged up all year with his ankle, perhaps that is a factor.

What am I missing on Thibs? Why are people so high on him?

And if anyone is interested here is every play to evaluate for yourself. He’s #5 in green.

1 Like

Definitely would take him over Tibby. I would take just about anyone projected in the top 10 over KT. Just not seeing it with him. Not a big fan of the one-year wonder DB out of LSU either, but would take him over KT. I would even take the safety at #1.