I've got Jim Schwartz level excitement for Jahmyr Gibbs

Seems like every year I fall in love… with a RB. Bijan is the big name, but my eyes focus on how guys “sift” through traffic. As nimble as Bijan is, it’s Gibbs that I’m seeing as “that guy.” The feet like Shady McCoy, Jamaal Charles and Alvin Kamara. They have a special knack to make small moves without losing speed, then have that second level explosion to burst away from the trash. Yes, it’s highlights, but just spend some time on this guy and watch how he moves. I’m in. Right now, I think Carter and Anderson will be gone by 6 and either Stroud or Levis will be left giving us juicy trade bait to move down a bit, give us an extra pick for a guy like Gibbs and take our CB1 of choice. (I also use the 1B bean we have to trade for Ramsey thus fixing CB1 and CB2).

12 Likes

Witherspoon/Gonzalez/Branch, Gibbs, and Ramsey?

I’m in.

5 Likes

With the way our oline and WRs block, Gibbs might break Barry’s record of 50+ yard TD runs. Scary fast and shifty. I like drafting players who wore number 1 at Alabama.

2 Likes

The backs that have great COD, burst, & long speed are easy to fall in love with

3 Likes

I like him too.

For me, I don’t see the 3rd QB falling to us. Would be nice, but lets just assume Carter and Anderson are drafted top 4 and two QBs are drafted top 4. I just think Seattle would then be in the same boat as us and try to trade down. Six is a frustrating spot in this draft IMO because I think all three QBs will go top five one way or another (trade) and the two blue chips will go. But hey, you never know.

1 Like

He’s my favorite RB for our team in the draft… He’d provide another dimension to this offense. He’s a better, faster version of Swift… So much suddenness, so much speed, so much acceleration, I love his game

You don’t see Seattle grabbing a QB at 5? Geno is 32, will be 33 early part of 23 season, and I think Seattle will consider a QB to sit behind Geno. Perfect spot for them, I thought was the game plan when they traded Wilson, just didn’t see Geno have the season he had. Yet, even saying that Geno wasn’t as strong at the end of the year as he started and I think Seattle has to consider a QB there.

Edit: basically misread your post, and now understand what you are saying. So a QB may go at five just may not be Seattle taking one there.

4 Likes

No that is a perfectly rational assumption too. Seattle has to be considering a QB. Anthony Richardson could be in play for them too because they could afford to sit him for a year at least.

Either way were in the same place unless they go rogue and take Richardson over one of (what seems to be) the consensus top 3.

2 Likes

There was a thread about players to watch when the season started and I had him as the RB I thought would have the best season. I thought Alabama would really elevate his game and vice versa. Well it was but not significantly more but that’s OK, he’s 20 years old and is already elite but IMO has some ceiling in the right system, like ours. He is also a guy who could lineup in the backfield and then move down to the slot WR spot in an audible, great hands and over 11 ypc over the last 2 seasons. For whatever reason he was hardly used in the first 4 or 5 games of the season this year and it really skewed his numbers. If he’s the consolation prize but we get him in the 2nd it wouldn’t break my heart.

2 Likes

Jim Shorts level of excitement… haha Call a doctor if it lasts longer than 4 hours!!

5 Likes

I feel like every year we have an Alvin Kamara comp that doesn’t quite work out, but I feel like he is a good comp for Gibbs except Gibbs is about 15 lbs lighter which isn’t ideal.

1 Like

Maybe MCDC and AG will both get excited about Gibbs because they experienced Kamara up close and personal.

Yeah, cause they pop on the highlights. Achane is like that too. Spears and Mitchell as well.

But for me, I prefer those guys to be part of a RBBC. An electric option you can turn to with trick plays or 3rd and longs. If you overuse them, they’re absolutely gonna get hurt. RBs always get hurt anyway, and the smaller speedsters more than most. It’s just simple physics.

Because of that I don’t want to use as high a pick on them as will be required.

4 Likes

I would be soooo 'all in" on this selection. Hoping Bradley is targeting him.
Pick him
Shave his head.
Stick him out there
Win

…that’s my plan.
With him coming 1/2 a round later than Bijon…I almost think this makes him a better choice.
I would have to look into it more to formulate a more solid opinion. My opinion right now is based off of like 2 hi light reels each. LOL

1 Like

love Gibbs. He’s also a great receiving threat, though the knock on him is pass protection

1 Like

…& we highly value that
“You Xon’t get to play RB for me if you can’t block”
-Staley

1 Like

Would you take Gibbs at #18? I think he goes in the 1st.

For me it’s really about movement, but Shady and Kamara did have a little more sand in the britches. It’s the guys who always seem to be going north/south quickly but able to get real small and just slip through the trash that draw me in. Gibbs has those type of feet and burst and the dude does not run small at all. But I’ll go with the true comp with size factored in. Jamaal Charles. Although he was a couple inches taller. Gibbs will probably put up similar speed with better explosion numbers but we’ll see. He’s my guy at this point.

1 Like

I give you D’Andre Swift. Just sayin…

1 Like

A little too rich there but it seems that he is that #2RB this moment. FA is just so deep that those guys are going to find homes somewhere and IMO reduce the need for 1st round RB investment. If that TD I propose yields us that additional pick in the high 2nd round, then we give that 1B for Ramsey, then we still have 3 second round picks. One goes to Schmitz, but if we used those others to move back up into the bottom of the first, I’d be ok with it. That would be top choice for CB (say Spoon), Ramsey, Gibbs and Schmitz, I’d be fine going into round 3 with that. Especially if we get Payne in FA.