I've got Jim Schwartz level excitement for Jahmyr Gibbs

Gibbs has some skills for sure. He’s fast, he makes great cuts in the open field, he’s a good receiver. I just think he has some gaping holes. He’s not effective between the tackles. That’s not what I want in a high draft pick RB.

It’s like Swift or Best though. That electricity costs something. Like the Ferrari they spend some time in the shop. But when they run, you’ve got 8,500 RPMs of V8 brilliance to play with. Most of your bigger bodied backs don’t bring that kind of juice, but one that does is Josh Jacobs, and I’m on record being down with that. We’ve got some early picks to play with and we may be in a spot where trading down from 6 makes a ton of sense.

Adding a game breaker anywhere on offense isn’t a bad idea and Gibbs is that. Having him and Swift as similar dual threat players gives us a level of consistency even if you lose a little availability with either over the course of the season.

3 Likes

Agree w/entire post.
I think it’s funny that you have influenced so many of my offseason thoughts over the last 4 years, or so. LOL. I’m down for that too. If Bradley wants Jacobs, & can get it done in a cap-reasonable way…I’m in too! Same with Gibbs. Love what he brings, & like the Best" comparison. Nasty-ass-Juice!

2 Likes

I think Swift was a considerably better prospect than Gibbs. Much more of a complete back.

1 Like

I really like that comparison. I think I see some of the issues that @socko is seeing with Gibbs. But if you can put him into an offense where he doesn’t have to carry the entire team, I think he will do alot of damage.

2 Likes

I think the problem with Gibbs is it’s a fine line between a electric lead back like Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson or Aaron Jones and a change-of-pace, 3rd-down RB like Kenneth Gainwell, Ty Johnson, Nyheim Hines, or Tariq Cohen. And I’m not sure which side of that line Gibbs falls on.

First off I’ll say he’s comfortably the best pass receiver of all the backs in this draft. There are others who are excellent, but very few snatch the ball out of the air with the ease Gibbs exhibits. And it’s easy to see how explosive he is, he goes 0-60 as quickly as any back in the draft. I expect him to crush the jumps and the 40 (especially the first 10).

He’s very good at putting one foot in the ground and cutting forward at like a 25 or 30% angle, but when he needs to move more laterally he gathers himself with baby steps. There are very few jump cuts on his tape, and when there are it’s when he’s not moving very fast, and how often will that be the case in-game? It’s for this reason I think a zone scheme like the one the Niners or Dolphins run might be best for him.

His vision’s above average and he follows his blockers pretty well, but he’s not generally a guy who’s gonna run through contact. He’s gonna try like hell, which you have to give him credit for, but I cringe every time I see him try and spin out of a leg tackle with a bevy of defenders surrounding him. One of these days he’s gonna get lit up doing that.

He’s got a little CJ Spiller to his game to me. A much better pass-receiver, but similar sizes, running styles and gathering issues. Maybe he’s someone like Tony Pollard, I could see that too as a potential ceiling, sort of the best of both worlds. But remember the Cowboys got Pollard in the 4th round, which is the kind of price I’d rather pay for a back like this.

2 Likes

I’ll buy that. But health…eesh

Gibby is FAAAST.
one trick pony, but it’s a pretty great trick…
2 tricks, actually - catch’n’run…or just run.
Get him in space, the next person that makes a move is the scoreboard operator (that was a comment someone made on one of the Barry highlights )

2 Likes

What’s the projected difference in draft position between Gibbs and Tyjae? I’d like a back with that kind of speed, but if we’re not going Bijan, I’d lean tyjae if the price is much lower.

It depends on the pre-draft process but I think 3rd would be his ceiling unless he runs like a 4.2 (which isn’t totally out of the realm of possibility IMO, but I’d be surprised). I think that 3-5th range is most likely, especially in such a deep class.

1 Like

Hammer Time GIF

I give you… the 2023 Detroit Lions

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.