I've got Jim Schwartz level excitement for Jahmyr Gibbs

Yeah, change is impossible for some people, but I think the industry is younger than you think. And things have been moving this way for longer than it seems, it’s just we’ve only become privy to it more recently. But we know Holmes & Co used GPS data to draft Kupp and that was in what, 2017? Technology like that doesn’t take that long to roll out.

I agree there are some old school scouts and maybe a few GMs who stick with their stopwatches, but I think on the whole they’re more hip to the technological trends. The ones who aren’t get left behind.

1 Like

I’m pretty lukewarm on Gibbs. Not a huge fan.

He is pretty confident about that as well… :eyes:
If his 4.32 was hand timed… it may slide a bit…
but that would still be impressive!

1 Like

Yeah the league doesn’t care about that. 14 game, 16 game, 17 game schedules, their record books are a mess. But no one cares. It’s only “Tyreek Hill is about to break Calvin Johnson’s record!” Maybe two or three people mentioned that he had an extra game to play, but for the most part people don’t care. It generates excitement. Same with fast 40s.

3 Likes

Achane ran 10.12 wind aided. Has generally been a 10.2 guy so
you’d expect a face melting time from him.

1 Like

He’d be fine IMO. If he’s sub 4.5 electronic he’s still going before the end of round 2.
He offers to much in the receiving game to fall too far IMO.

1 Like

Gibbs was benched in the Ole Miss game.

Saban benched Jalen Hurts as well….
and he is 15-1 this year…

1 Like

Yeah, Saban didn’t see it with Hurts. QB is a mental position, RB is not.
If you only watch the highlight film of Gibbs, you’ll think he’s awesome. But he’s soft as warm butter.

Saban put Alvin Kamara so deep on the bench he never even had a chance to get in a game.

3 Likes

According to him and we know how that is, but he said he was last clocked at 4.32 which would back up what is seen on tape and MPH tracking.

yep…. I saw that after looking around a little…
but wonder if 4.32 slides a little with electronic timing?

What he times is essentially irrelevant. We know he’s fast af no matter what his actually time is. It’s one of those don’t-count-it-twice situations. Even if he ran 4.5+, we know how fast he is on the field.

What matters more re: Gibbs is can he hold up, his contact balance, his toughness, etc…

1 Like

Disagree. A 200lb guy won’t be bowling people over like Earl Campbell, but Gibbs is NOT “soft.” Here is the entire tape against the #6 Volunteers. I don’t see one instance of soft play. He runs to daylight, so avoiding contact is a feature not a bug. But he is always gaining yards, only gets held for no yards on a couple plays that lack of softness wasn’t a thing as, he was completely swallowed up. There is a display of good awareness and did his job in space in pass pro. A display of lowering his shoulder and knocking a Vol defender on his arse while going out of bounds.

I’ll see if I can find the Ole Miss Game or see if there is a why to being benched. This was a tough game against a tough opponent and he was up for the task and then some.

2 Likes

All I can say is that I’ve watched a ton of Alabama as Bryce is my favorite player in all of college football. And Gibbs is not a guy I want to draft.

Jase is on the case (for RB1)

Gibbs came into Saturday’s game as the Crimson Tide’s unquestioned No. 1 running back, but he was off against the Rebels. The Georgia Tech transfer had 3 yards on six carries in the first half and just one catch for 5 yards. Saban made the switch to Jase McClellan at halftime, and it was a decision that likely won the game.

McClellan had 19 carries for 84 yards, and three of those touches were explosive plays of 10 yards or more. McClellan provided much-needed balance to an offense that was decidedly one-dimensional in the first half, allowing the Ole Miss defense to tee off on an Alabama offensive line that has struggled throughout the season.

Is McClellan the new No. 1 running back? We’ll see. Saban made a bold statement by benching Gibbs, so it’s clear that he’s open to any and all options.

Jase McClellan had his best day

Saban said after the game that Jahmyr Gibbs twisted his ankle in the first half when asked about why he never got off the bench in the second, but it sure seems like that was more of a coach’s decision. McClellan was running with more power than we’ve seen from him to date, and he ended up getting 19 of the 27 total running back carries. Gibbs was ineffective on his six carries, gaining only three total yards. Perhaps the staff saw a need for a little more power?

It was interesting to say the least, and something to monitor going forward.

Gibbs didn’t really get “benched” against Ole Miss…
he hurt his ankle… possibly on his 4th carry…. then didn’t play in the 2nd half or the next week.

Then he returned against Auburn and led the tram in carries in each of the final 2 games.

3 Likes

Yeah, that was Saban’s claim after the game. If you believe it, I don’t. Sounds better than the guy is a sissy though.

So Saban made it up… and then made Gibbs sit out the next game listed with an injury… but then gave him the most carries a week after that… in a rivalry game???

Yeah Right Ok GIF

2 Likes

Yeah kind of like what the 2 articles of other people who actually watched the game that I posted said the same thing, right above.

Ok. He got six carries in that game and was sat down. Saban saying he twisted his ankle. The author of the article said it “looked” like more of a coaching decision. Either way Gibbs “benching” lasted all of one game and he resumed getting the bulk of the carries over the last two games. Didn’t look like a changing of the guard to me. But I will value your view, because you have seen way more games than I have. I’m just going off tape and I know that is inferior to seeing the action as it plays out. I like the feet, explosion and ability in the passing game. I think he has Aaron Jones type potential at the next level. We’ll see!

1 Like