J.J. McCarthy's odds to be second overall pick dramatically improve

1 Like
1 Like

It seems like this happens every year though when a QB who was rated to be the 3rd or 4th QB taken gets pushed into top 5-10 picks. Then on draft day they fall in the draft.

1 Like

Just my thoughts….

When the year started, it was pretty clear many felt like King Caleb was the next QB “lock #1” pick. Then he had a pretty paltry 2nd half of the season, and in a defense challenged conference, but nobody caught up to his hype. His highlights show a “Love child of Murray and Mahomes” type ceiling?

Jayden is a 6’3” bean pole at 185-190 pounds, and I can’t recall a other elite prospect or player who a comparable in frame and game to him, but I love the kids approach and demeanor and I will root for him. He supposedly skipped working out at the combine to entice more attendance at his pro day, and thus help his boys get some additional run in front of coaches and GMs. If that is true motive, it speaks volumes of why guys will follow him as a leader in the nfl.

Drake Maye was the guy I expected to leap over Caleb this year. His production really, really tailed off. Last year wasn’t video game numbers, but for a sophomore with his frame and arm? It surely got everyone excited about what he’d show in 2024- but instead he regressed.

Nix and Penix simply don t feel like starting nfl QBs to me. Maybe Penix as a Derek Carr type ceiling and a D Ridder floor. Nix I see as a Tannehill ceiling and a Heineke or worse floor.

In walks JJ- he’s bigger than Jayden, faster than Maye, has every bit the arm any of them have, and his TD/INT ratio and win rate against elite completion is superb. He won a Natty as a JR without marqui WRs etc, and did it without his HC for like 6 games.

• I think JJ in a vacuum poses the least risk out of anyone but Caleb, thus the rise?
3 Likes

J.J. will go higher than a lot of people have been saying, but Jim Harbaugh and J.J. have a very close bond. Jim sees himself when he sees J.J. That’s just something to keep in mind when he says it was the best pro day he’s ever seen. I’m not saying J.J. didn’t do well, but that is a very bold statement considering how long Jim has been around football.

Man I feel like I totally missed this when watching UM play this last year. Not a UM fan but watched a fair amount of games and I never left feeling like “wow he’s a top 5 pick.”

Will be interesting to see where he ends up going as reports are all over!

2 Likes

Outside of Maye, i Agree, but JJ needs a year or two on the bench, hes not ready to start in the NFL (Why i think Vikings or Pats can take him, Brisett and Darnold are okay to have as bridge QB’s for a year)

1 Like

By hyping JJ, Harbaugh’s ulterior motive is probably to hope Marvin Harrison, Jr. falls to No. 5 overall because the Chargers lost both Keenan Allen and Mike Williams.

3 Likes

As Harbaugh said in his interview yesterday, if QB’s go the first four picks in the draft the first pick starts at five. LAC are in a good spot.

Nonsense. Have you seen Jonathan James’ numbers? OU beating Kentucky was an upset but if JJ is 2nd QB off the board that would be even more impressive to me.

Then again, Trey Lance…

The more qbs that go top 10 the more good players fall to lions or range where they can trade up for their guy.

1 Like

We can only hope this is true.

68-2 lifetime record + Elite intangibles

https://twitter.com/thorku/status/1771328825932054875?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1771328825932054875|twgr^9bc4b4931a61de6fdfaea4d1e45ce79f28a31b03|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-3039577257774842183.ampproject.net%2F2403072016000%2Fframe.html

1 Like

I think JJ goes in the top 12 but a lot of smoke screens out there, it is that time of year.

Fight Smoke GIF by Assassin's Creed

1 Like

The narrative is finally catching up to reality

3 Likes

His motivation is that he loves the Kid like he’s his own Son.

2 Likes

Happens all the time, this time of year. It’s the media being behind, as a result we have these so called “risers”. When 80% of the time as you mentioned it’s “the narrative is finally catching up to reality”.

That being said I would take Drake Maye before JJ. Caleb Williams as well, if he passes the “personality” test.

2 Likes

I will say this I have no clue when JJ will be taken, but IMO he is the best prospect at the QB position in this draft. Hate on me if you want but I do not think that Williams is going to transition to the NFL as well as most people think that he will. On the other hand I can see JJ’s transition being much smoother.

Same here. He’s got talent for days, but there is always something that I waited for and didn’t see. I just can’t put my finger on what

I remember at one point Will Levis was going in the top 4 last year…… No idea about JJ but if the Vikings get him he will have a better rookie season than Caleb Williams.

2 Likes

His decision making is atrocious. You are right about the talent, but he isn’t ready to start in the NFL.

If he gets drafted top 5, and gets thrown to the wolves, he will crash and burn. He needs to sit for at least a year.

2 Likes