J.J. McCarthy's odds to be second overall pick dramatically improve

That could be what it is. I don’t recall seeing him really have to do the mental stuff, not saying he can’t but with his supporting cast and run game he didn’t have to go full brainiac too often

I thought he showed the recognition of defenses and progressions when asked and had a good understanding of what he was seeing. Now, he didn’t do often but it was a “nfl type offense” fwiw.

1 Like

I don’t have any bust alarms going off with him. Just a surprisingly shadowy candidate for someone who played so much at a high profile program

I have heard this and feel the exact opposite. JJ is the only one of the qb’s who has actually played in a pro style offense. He is the one who has been doing all the line reads and directing pro-style movement and shifts. The notion he is the one that should sit appears to only come because of his sage, yet from what I hear he has blown NFL people away on the white board, understanding defensive concepts, explain what he would do and more importantly, WHY he would do it because of what he is seeing from the D. Si I couldn’t disagree more on this, JJ comes in already with more experience running a modern, NFL offense.

4 Likes

What would Washington give up to move up to #1 to take Caleb?

Chicago then takes JJ, a kid grew up 20 miles from Soldier Field. Chicago then packages what they got from Washington to move up from 9 to take Marvin Harrison JR.

They would instantly be the media darlings and declared winners of the draft by the media.

1 Like

And the bears will still suck if they do that.

1 Like

+2500 two days ago

He’s now +275

1 Like

He might go one after Caleb Williams was caught on camera with a pink cell phone, nail polish and lip gloss. I mean… sure it’s 2024 and all, but uh… yeah… Chicago is still Mike Ditka and brats…

1 Like

He’s a tough one for me to figure out. His decision making scared the crap out of me at times. Michigan contained his mistakes with one of the most dominant defenses college football has seen in years. They also switched to the run whenever they didn’t want to let JJ gamble. On the other hand, he is a prototypical QB for the pro game. Tall, strong, very mobile. I think we forget about his mobility and scrambling because he got so much better about keeping plays alive instead of taking off early last year.

I’d be shocked JJ doesn’t go in the first round coming off the season he just had. It might not be in the top 10, but some team will fall in love with his talent and moxie.

1 Like

His DM last year was far above his first year starting and based on that alone not something I’m worried over. He does have a bit of that Bret Favre or Stafford mentality, rarer now, that he can make any throw.

1 Like

He also didn’t have doodalee squat for WR’s.

Idk about that. He has two guys going to get drafted and really good TEs. Not super stars but they weren’t shit

2 Likes

Agree on TE’s but where are his WR’s going to go in the draft, compared to say Nabers AND Thomas for Daniels at LSU or Odunze AND McMillan AND Polk for Pennix in Washington? Roman Wilson is maybe WR16 and the three Washington guys will all go before him IMO.

Caleb had Rice & Jordan Addison last year too. You’re kinda right here I didn’t even think of that and that adds more to my JJQB1 hype train

What’s up with this “JJ needs to sit for 2-3 years theory”?

He literally had more responsibility than any other one of these first round prospects in college. Mike points, run checks, sliding protection, no one did it more than him that’s a first round prospect QB this year…

3 Likes

And uofm had a top defense, top oline, and top RBs. Wilson will be good in next level. Most uofm fans said hes not ready, now think he is a top 3 pick

Think About It GIF by Big Potato Games

I feel like both points could be true.

He is the most Pro Ready and he also would benefit from sitting.

3 Likes

JJ is not ready, but he will go higher than most here predicted he would.

1 Like