Jack Campbell Combine

No… it isn’t a concern at all.

The “fast guys” mostly ran only 0.1 second faster… over 40 yards. If a guy like Campbell processes better… and breaks on the ball a bit quicker… there is no concern when most guy plays are made well under 40 yards.

Testing well in the 3-cone, broad jump, vertical, and SS shows he has the short area explosiveness to excel in most situations.

and then there is…. a guy with fairly similar numbers…

2 Likes

If you watch the Michigan game, you see a guy that “guessed right” on only a small percentage of the plays. He was regularly hitting the wrong hole so he is either really bad at reading or just guessing.

I’m not sure how to take that. Are you actually trying to spare people’s feelings? Remove the nuance from your snark? I don’t like this turn of events…

1 Like

Well, nice to know that a guy in “a” game who had 3 tackles and 8 assists gets downgraded to late 3rd based on your criteria.

BTW, that interception was blown dead before the TD. The ref screwed Jack out of a TD, the replay showed he never stepped out of bounds.

3 Likes

I would take him without hesitation.

2 Likes

I guess it depends on who you are categorizing in the “fast guys” catergory.
Owen Pappoe ran a 4.39 but he’s only 6’ and 225lbs.
Simpson ran a 4.42.

.1 second faster than Jack is the bottom half of the 16 guys that ran. I’m probably not considering guys outside of the top 10 fastest as the “fast guys”.
5 guys ran under a 4.5, I think those are your “fast guys”.

Team captain, yep. Not a turd, yep. RAS, well, not bad…

3 Likes

was he productive yes,
is he smart yes,
is he athletic yes.

should we pick him, yes.

he replaces anzalone.

4 Likes

Good point, Brad likes his RAS scores.

SCOUTING REPORTBy The 33rd Team

Positives:

• High bandwidth processor to digest and react quickly to the offense.
  • Owns plus size and strength to deter blockers in the run game.
  • Operates with good angles to pursue allowing him to make more plays than not.

Negatives:

• Average speed limits his range to cover the field sideline-to-sideline.
  • If matched in man, he lacks loose hips and fluidity to stay attached with skill players.
  • Has some tightness, causing issues redirecting and pursuing players when they get away from him.

**Bottom Line: **

Campbell has very good bulk, length and toughness for the position. An instinctive defender in the core of the defense who can quickly read and react to the backfield. Campbell shows a good feel for the run, triggering and getting downhill in a hurry to fill running lanes. He is willing to go toe to toe against blockers with the size, strength and hands to shed or sift while in pursuit. His average speed limits his range, relying on angles to help compensate.

Against the pass, Campbell is a better zone defender than man, showing eyes and awareness to cover underneath. Once on an island in man-to-man coverage, he lacks loose hips and the ability to redirect and stay attached. Overall, Campbell’s an instinctive linebacker who owns the size, length and awareness to solidify the core of a defense.

Pro Comparison: Leighton Vander Esch (Dallas Cowboys, 19th Overall Pick in 2018 NFL Draft)

He’s a menace in his drops. Just don’t have him running with Kyle Pitts or Nyheim Hines or whoever and he should be a coverage asset. He can’t do everything as a coverage player but the things he can do he does well.

Outside of Eric Gentry of USC I can’t think of a college Mike that made layering interior throws more of a pain in the ass than Jack.

1 Like

4.65 on this track isn’t great. But the 10 yard split is impressive and more important to his game. I also he’s the guy who probably carries his pads well. Between that, reliably sound angles and his instincts I’d bet his range plays up a good bit.

1 Like

If we get jack i am still wanting a speed demon added to the second level… maybe they think they can coach up nolan smith and get that hybrid player… but with rodrigo, barnes, campbell, smith, and anzalone back on another 1 year deal i would be okay with that linebacker room. You also have harris and houston that play some lb roles at times. Trade for ramsey and add an interior rusher. Defense hopefully grows significantly over last year.

Yeah exactly. And if the coaching is doing its job, we’re not asking him to cover Kyle Pitts or Nyheim Hines. Just let him drop and read.

I will say despite what we think, I’m not sure the NFL is as high on LBs like Campbell anymore. I mean last year Leo Chenal, a similarly large and instinctive LB with athletic questions did this:

And still didn’t go until the end of the third round. It will be fascinating to see where Campbell ends up.

3 Likes

You ultimately could be right but on the mental side of things only one of them is a football savant and I think that pushes Campbell up.

I’m not coming at the draft from a must have Jack Campbell POV but he brings a lot to the table. We could do worse late in the second round. If the 3rd is a possibility then even better.

1 Like

He had 6 tackles and a sack in the KC Super Bowl win.

1 Like

Campbell in the 2nd would make me a happy camper.

3 Likes

He reminds me a lot of Logan Wilson who’s a really good linebacker.

2 Likes

If you’re going to run with 2 LBers all the time then having two f&ck around and find out types in Jack and Rodrigo makes some sense. Neither is going to panic being outnumbered in the box.

But is that enough coverage ability :man_shrugging:

3 Likes