Jack Campbell Combine

First in the 3 cone with a 6.74, second in the broad jump with a 10’8", second in the vertical with 37.5", first in the shuttle with a 4.24 and had a 4.65 40 and a 1.59 10 split. And in the interview they asked him if he had any questions and he said, “Yeah, when do I get to hit somebody?”. OK I made that up but the rest is true.

BTW, he was the only LB under a 7.00 in the 3 cone and so far at the combine only one player has a better 3 cone time, CB Julius Brents from Kansas State with a 6.63, 5th over all in the shuttle.

5 Likes

His film is high level. I love that he checked all of the boxes with the testing to show that he can translate it to the NFL. He also looked smooth and efficient with how he did it. Under control most of the time.

7 Likes

I think he skipped the bench, so now the question is can he tackle?

3 Likes

I disagree. His film is what has me looking at him as a 3rd day prospect (maybe late 3rd).

2 Likes

OK, two guys seeing two different things. What is it that you are seeing from his film that bothers you?

Yeah jack is a beast and test better then expected he will be one of the top off the ball LBers drafted.

1 Like

Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

Total Score

2023 Combine LB Rank: 3rd

1 Like

Judy Sheindlin GIF by Judge Judy

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Please don’t take that seriously)

5 Likes

I couldn’t disagree more. You obviously don’t watch film if that is the case. Have seen every single game he has played in at Iowa, as well as multiple high school games.

2nd slowest Linebacker at the combine doesn’t concern anyone?
I mean, he is 6’5" and 246lbs.
He seems like a better fit for a 3-4 team.
Maybe it’s the colors of Iowa and the Steelers that makes me think he’s a natural fit in Pittsburgh.
I’m not sure how he’d fit in here but he’d be good value in the 3rd-4th round.

What do we do with a 6’5" linebacker? Is he really a fit here?

1 Like

I would love to know what you see that makes him a 3rd day prospect? I also couldn’t disagree more with you WCLF.

2 Likes

I would consider trading up in the 2nd rd to get him.

1 Like

No because his ability to read plays and be where he needs to be is more important. How do you win best LB in B1G, best D player in the B1G and best LB overall in the country if you are too slow to the play?

1 Like

I didn’t say 4.65 is too slow to play.
I’m just curious if he’s really a fit here. I just don’t recall us ever having LB’s that big that were ever any good or a good fit.

2 Likes

We aren’t living in the past, this isn’t the SOL. You want a guy who can walk right in and start, the academic Heisman winner is your guy.

6 Likes

What position and role do you have him playing for us?

1 Like

MLB with a C on his jersey.

PFF
Campbell isn’t always a household name in the 2023 NFL Draft LB class, but he grades out as a fringe top-50 prospect on my board. He’s a worthy early-to-mid Day 2 prospect, a top-five player at his position, and a defender who’s tailor-made for the MIKE role in the NFL.

No linebacker was better in pass coverage than Jack Campbell in 2022. In a pass-happy league that values coverage abilities more than ever before, Campbell should be a valued commodity.

Pro Football Focus illustrated this point recently, sharing Campbell’s coverage grade. The Cedar Falls, Iowa, native finished with a nation-leading 92.9 coverage grade.

3 Likes

How often do we use 3 LB’s? I think that’s like 30% of the time, I may be wrong though.
Seems like we’re in Nickel most of the time, then where do you have him lining-up?
Does he step-in from day one and replace Analzone or Rodrigo?
I like his size for matching-up with TE’s and taking-on linemen, I’m just wondering if he’s really a fit here or not?

2 Likes

Anzalone is likely gone. Campbell is good in coverage apparently depending on who you ask. He’s a 3 down player, In the last 3 drafts 6 LB’s went in the first 2 rounds. If we want him our 2nd pick in the 2nd is where I would be choosing and hope that he lasts that long.

2 Likes