Jacksonville and Detroit

I know, woulda coulda shoulda, but the Lions were within a whisker of being 3-0 including almost beating the team that might be playing like the best in the NFL right now.

It just illustrates how razor thin the margins are for most teams in the league so I wouldn’t declare the Jags a major success and the Lions a major failure right now. It just seems like another knee jerk thread in a sea of many around here the last few days. I got caught up in the heat of the moment as well after the loss but maybe we as a fanbase need to let rational thought seep in now that the loss is behind us. The sky isn’t falling, yet.

2 Likes

as lions fans, we have seen teams suck, get better/make the playoffs, then suck again all the while we are ‘rebuilding’.

IMO MCDC has to be over .500 this year and I daresay 10 wins because this schedule you can win 10 games with an average team.

if we only win 6 games consider the red flag raised and waving.

Lol geez at least there moving in the right direction and fighting for it , while we’re giving games away that we should have won, then making excuses for it. One is always next year’s the other is taking advantage of this year.

Lol is why we will always be SOL.

1 Like

It’s amazing the histrionic response and excuse making my post has generated.

All I did was suggest that after 3 weeks, Jax looks great, that I’m not sure about Detroit, and that if the trend continues, our expectations for Dan and Co. should understandably rise as well.

Some of you are literally against the mere suggestion of raising expectations. One person even called me “iggy,” as though what I wrote was so unconscionable.

Christ almighty.

I cannot grasp what’s going on with some of you.

The POINT is to win games.

Right?

Or did something change?

3 Likes

Well don’t forget that 90 % of these guys loved Patricia too, he just needed his guys Lol.
The 1st 2 years you couldn’t question him either, now everybody knew. Lol :joy:

5 Likes

no I’m with you. the offense is a top 10/top 5 offense. that’s enough to win in this league, we’ve seen that. You just have to play it the same throughout the game and can’t make the decision to change how you play to ‘run clock’ or anything else, especially if you’re trying to run clock and snap the ball with 10-15 seconds left on the playclock only to run your rb right into a run blitz.

3 Likes

This is what so many here are ignoring. Dan set this team back with this lose from a development standpoint.

I also think people and the defense are alittle off, this team isn’t built for the defense to win you games the offense is, the defenses in today’s NFL are expected to keep it close giving the offense a opportunity to win. Our defense did that yesterday. And really the best we’re gonna get like a lot of teams. That’s today’s NFL. The thought your gonna have a defense that totally shuts offenses down are few and far in-between in today’s game. At the end of the day ask your self if your defense gave you a chance to win.

1 Like

I agree to an extent but we are 3rd in pts scored and last in point given up.

Doesn’t that show that the offense is doing enough to win?

When you have a top 5 offense–> you attack!
Dan knows now.
Also → Our OL is awesome!

He knew about the offense in preseason. if he didn’t then he’s not a smart man.

1 Like

LOL - it’s not that he isn’t smart…in a moment he made a decision that wasn’t smart.

I’m gonna be Sure to not melt down and watch some football.
Fun stuff over here!

2 Likes

no he made several decisions to lose that game. he took his foot off the gas to ‘run clock’ and then they snapped the ball with 10-15 seconds left on the game clock which absolutely defeated that purpose. how much time was on the clock when minny scored? how many plays did we run with at least 10 seconds left? that’s the game right there.

This is true - I’m guessing he was following someone’s advice based on the level of retreat.

I agree with you about the dichotomy of thought in game management…I just am choosing to not freak out, and also believe he’s growing from everything.

if you want to choose to believe he’s “not a smart man” that’s your business.
I disagree, and that is mine.

1 Like

Building through UFA never works. If your goal is to be a perennial playoff contender, Jacksonville is your team, much like the team that Mayhew built in the early 2010’s or what Quinn tried to do (although his team was never good enough to compete).

I prefer the Rams model of building through the draft and sprinkling in some high end players through trades/UFA. We are on a path to do that.

2 Likes

I’m not saying he’s ‘not smart’ but I think you and I both agree that this offense is built to be a run agressive play action style with big strike capability. We can turn into the ‘gain 1 or 2 yards’ style but can’t handle a run blitz.

we just need to play our scoring style of offense all the time. want to run clock? spend more time in the huddle and break with 10 left that gives you time to move people if need be and snap with 4 or less.

if he continues to swap the ostyle like against washington and minny then we have a justifiable concern.

2 Likes

Yes to all of this - I was 80% over it after watching and letting it settle in for an hour.
Now I’m WAY over it, after seeing his response.

Best coach in NFL.
Will win for a decade plus (maybe 2)
Watch and see.

1 Like

If we don’t will you give me a cookie?

They are building through the draft too. Lawrence, walker, Allen, Lloyd, cisco, and im sure I’m missing a few

That’s were stats don’t tell the story.
The offense went scoreless in the 4 qter, the defense got them the ball back and gave them more then one chance to win the game. And they didn’t.

The defense is no doubt behind our offense. That’s another reason when the game is on the line you want the ball in the offense hands not the defense. Dan went to this control the clock crap in the whole 4qter when you have a suspect defense. He played to our teams weakness insted of it’s strength.

3 Likes