Jamaal Williams Signs with Saints

Yeah that was a hell of a speech. Someone was cutting onions in the middle of it.

I don’t doubt he’s a leader and I’m not saying that he’s not. I guess my OG statement came out wrong.

He was a great emotional leader and a unique and eccentric character that kept everything light. And I liked him playing catch with fans and his PR run at the end of the season.

The more I think about it the more I guess I see where folks are coming from. He’s almost like a mascot.

But I really don’t think our locker room will falter as a result of him leaving. His leadership will be replaced just like his production.

1 Like

Lots of people bough that hook line and sinker, and trashed slay

1 Like

I was one of them. Also bought into Kowalski being wrong on Joey Harrington article, until Bill Keeniest admitted during his funeral that the Lions lied when they put out a report refuting Killer’s article.

I don’t think much information is leaked without the knowledge of the team. If the team wants info out there, they tell people to leak it and there were way too many leaks about Jamaal and the leaks happened way too quickly.

I would be concerned if BH actually did offer Jamaal an $18M/3yr contract, I don’t think he’s worth it. We got the better RB with Montgomery.

5 Likes
1 Like

The key is knowing what the Lions offered him compared to what he took. I was thinking he would sign for around $4 million/season on a multi-year deal…and that is what he signed for!

Was the Lions deal around that level? No one, not even Jamaal, has answered that question.

If the Lions offered less than that I agree that was disrespectful. But if what the Lions offered him and what he took was really close to the same Jamaal is wrong as that appears to be his value disrespect or not.

Feeling disrespected and actually being disrespected are two different things. If the Lions offered less than $4 million/season I think that is disrespectful. Jamaal hasn’t said the Lions offered less and the Saints paid more. Jamaal said that about the Lions and Packers two seasons ago.

1 Like

He did refer to them as his ex girlfriend saying they didnt want him so he was on the rebound with the lions. Not necessarily disparaging but doesnt sound like he wasnt slightly upset with how that split happened either…

3 Likes

I’ll say one last thing on the Jamaal subject before moving on for good.

I find it highly encouraging how Brad handled this situation, at least based on the info handed to us.
He didn’t succomb to feelings and affection for the player and man Jamaal is and give him what he wants just because he loves the guy and culture fit. He did what’s best for the team and made the smart business decision by bringing in a younger, more versatile back for apparently similar money (although who knows with this). I feel like previous regimes would have given in to Jamaal’s camp and overpay so bravo to Brad for not only sticking to his guns but also not waiting on Jamaal’s camp and going out to get Montgomery before he was left with less attractive options.

6 Likes

Although that could be a good thing… Swift with less snaps and mostly used as a 3rd down back might be best for his health and the team. I still think we are going to draft a RB as well. Going to be lots of good options at RB in the mid rounds. Plus I like the way Reynolds runs.

3 Likes

Could spell trouble for Jamar Jefferson as well. Lions have shown to carry 4 RBs and have needed them the last 2 years.

Is there a RB in the draft with good upside and known special teams play? That could be who they target in the middle rounds.

2 Likes

@Thats2 had a long list of running backs he likes… the draft is said to be stacked with good backs.

Swift and Reynolds are on contract years, so a RB makes a lot of sense to pair with Monty for the future.

1 Like

This specifically describes Roschon Johnson to a tee. He’s a special teams demon.

1 Like

Yes to all of this!

1 Like

I love ST & often forget that guys like backup RB have to do that stuff.
I want Gibby as a pure RB, but not sure if he can ST well?..or even would be asked to?

Corum? He was hurt, so he should drop into later rounds, no? Then he gets healthy for the playoff run?

How you guys feel about him? Wonder what his expected recovery rate is? How far does he drop?

Still → he ain’t Gibby, IMO.

1 Like

I totally forget what this was about. What was the Joey article?

1 Like

He went back to Michigan!!!

2 Likes

We should make him an offer for dual enrollment.

1 Like

Almost 20 years ago now . . . yea I don’t remember much about it, but it was basically that the Lions didn’t believe in him.

1 Like

He went to back to UM

1 Like

And he’s a former QB so Dan can keep living out his trick play glory.

2 Likes