James Houston

Lol. That’s a great quote.

To me he has some Von Miller to his game, but I agree with the idea that he seems a little “different” in the way he moves. This was great to read and its another example of iron sharpening iron. When we pick up players we need to think about who else might benefit from it. A young Larry Warford had to deal with Suh and Fairley in camp and he came out ready to roll as a rookie.

3 Likes

One thing I like about this staff is that they aren’t afraid to take gadget guys at the depth positions. Guys that have a skillset above average in the NFL and actually game plan to use that advantage.

Houston’s size may prevent him from being a 4 down player (still to be seen). If Hutch is sick today, we may need to see him pick up reps on running downs and that will give us insight into if he is able to hold up.

The early part about Decker engulfing Houston shows that he may not be able to hold up in the run game when his assignment isn’t get to the QB on 3rd and long.

4 Likes

DC wants to get EVERY player involved as much as possible. If there is something you can do or are good at, the Lions want to take advantage of that, even if only 1 play in a game. Keep everyone engaged. Keep everyone feeling like they are part of team.

3 Likes

Decker dominated Houston early on.

IDK…. probably should trade Decker while his value his high…

/sarcasm:sunglasses:

I wonder if @kneecapper still wants to trade Decker???

1 Like

Yes! Love this. Sean Payton was the same way. Look at the gadget QB/TE in Taysom Hill that he drafted. Sean always seemed to game plan around his players strengths and use what they have. and not have 3 of the same guy but 3 guys with different strengths and play all 3. Big fan of this concept.

If Dobbs is in the game, why not run a red zone 2nd and 4th at the goal line option run if that is what Dobbs is known for. Would catch the Jets off guard. Just an example.

Goff in his freshman or maybe sophomore year split time with a running QB. It was pretty fascinating to watch and worked for a few games until teams were able to game plan.

2 Likes

I realize this a hypothetical scenario….
but also want to make sure it is stated that Dobbs can’t play unless Goff and Sudfeld are out with injuries…. so we don’t want to see Dobbs play today.

2 Likes

If we run the table I want to run it back. Chark might be tough but the chemistry we’ve got right now is special. And in my experience exemplary chemistry between employee off any organization is almost always a force multiplier.

And yes that includes Will Harris and Alex Anzalone.

4 Likes

I’m just saying for 1-2 plays. Not take over. He’s only been on the team 2 weeks so no way he can run the show.

It’s like the Sewell play last week. If you have a lineman with great feet and hands, can you create something new for him and let him contribute in that way every once and a while to keep teams off balance. Yes. If Dobbs has something unique versus Goff/Stud, it’s better to have him run that than have him try to run all the plays Goff has been perfecting with 1st team reps.

But that is my point….
he is the emergency #3 QB and can’t step on the field unless the other 2 QBs are ruled out.

I’m not aware of that rule. I thought you select your 53 and if you don’t have a 3rd QB, then you have to use your punter or RB or someone else but any of the 53 are eligible to play anywhere at any time?

I also thought I read that the Lions backup has an illness so he may not play at all.

Teams can select 45 for active roster on game day…
plus a #3 QB for emergency use only….
making him the 46th man “dressed”.

3 Likes

To add, if you use #46 at all, the other 2 are done for the day, they are not allowed back on the field.

1 Like

Couldn’t find it, but this is along the same lines.

3 Likes

Give the man his due. Greatest in nfl history over six games! As a bloody part time player. Man plays with a violence of action. Get the man his snaps! :fire::fire::fire:

3 Likes

One of these is not like the others. :thinking:

4 Likes

Brad Holmes just keeps making me love him more and more. And Houston (along with countless other young players) just keeps making me love the coaching staff more and more. And this whole team just keeps making me love the entire front office (from the top down to the scouting team to the trainers) more and more.

8 Likes

Watching Houston… the past several weeks

Kristen Bell Omg GIF by The Good Place

3 Likes

Strong Woman Love GIF by Empress Trash

1 Like