Jameson Williams Speed…

When LIONS appeared suddenly at Pick 12 I jumped up and shouted to my Dad, “They’ve jumped up to get Jameson Williams!” Then Louis Riddick and Booger started saying “it’s gotta be for a QB. No way you trade up that far for a non-QB.”

Cameras then panned Pickett & Willis and I got real quiet. Did NOT want either of those guys, especially at the expense of what it took to move that far up (trade not revealed at that point).

Goodell approached the podium, and I braced myself to put on a happy face despite my disappointment. Then Roger G announced, “Jameson Williams.”

I leapt up and let out a “whooooo!!!” He was an unattainable luxury item throughout the entire lead up to the draft. But man, I kept dreaming of how much an elite deep threat like Jameson would transform the offense more than any other addition they could make. Then POOF. It happened. Amazing!! One of the great Lions Draft Day memories ever.

5 Likes

niiice!!!

From what I have read he has ran a 40 as part of his rehab and he was in the low 4.4s. Just a rumor but if true can you imagine how fast he will be at 100%

Glad to see I wasn’t alone in seeing Jameson as a transcendent pick @CoachMetiv. Your wife clearly didn’t, lol.

Sure, Hamilton would’ve been a great addition to the defense too. But at the end of the day, JW will have an incredible effect on the overall performance of our offense vs what gains might have been realized on D from adding Hamilton.

This is especially true if you think of who we might be able to have added instead of JW (Christian Watson, Metchie), versus who we might be able to add tonight instead of Hamilton (Pitre, Brisker).

Masterstroke. LOVE THIS MOVE BABY!

1 Like

My biggest fear… is that they moved up to pick Hamilton at #12.
I should have known Holmes was smarter than that…

3 Likes

That’s funny because I was almost certain the trade up wasn’t for a QB. I was thinking it was Hamilton but was secretly hoping for Jordan Davis instead. I like J. Williams better than both if he’s healthy.

1 Like

Many pro athletes who have the very best rehab tech and personnel available, return from ACL surgery even faster than they were before injury. Not guaranteed but certainly a possibility. We should begin to get an idea toward the 2nd half of the season once Jameson has gotten back into game shape and they begin reporting GPS speed stats.

Since GPS was first used in 2016 only 2 NFL players eclipsed 23 mph with the ball in their hands. In the 2016 season, Tyreek Hill notched the fastest speed NGS has ever recorded for a ballcarrier when he hit 23.24 mph on a kickoff return. San Francisco 49ers running back Raheem Mostert posted the second-best speed ever of 23.09 in 2020, and Hill also holds the third spot with a time of 22.77 mph in another 2016 game.

I can’t confirm that Jameson Williams was carrying the ball during his GPS timings, but according to Alabama Athletics Dept., Jameson Williams eclipsed 23mph twice last season; once in a game and once during practice. So if he is able to hit that rarified air again, we’ll know he’s fully back to 100%.

2 Likes

It’s going to be similar to NFL DB’s - Wile E. Coyote vs. Lions WR - Road Runner on Sundays for the next few years…

My first thought was Hamilton too.

That double move on Ringo where he creates and maintains like 6 yards of space is pretty crazy when you consider that Ringo ran 4.33 in high school.

2 Likes

I heard Jack fox was clocked at 46.3 MPH. They want to keep it under wraps because it’s causing other players to feel bad about themselves. Fox really is doing his best to just be “one of the guys.” Tough when you are that different.

I stumbled across this looking thru some “likes”…

and just wanted to “bump” it since there has been some chatter about Ringo lately.

So anxious to see Jamo on the field….

I don’t remember the exact numbers but when they (Lions or rehab team or trainers or whoever) clocked him when “they” started letting him run at full speed, he was a tiny bit faster than before.

That is plain f-n scary.

I don’t want him rushed back, but if he’s 100% man I can’t wait to see it; even if it’s in a few meaningless games in December. Get the kid some experience and let the world see what they’re in for next year.

4 Likes

It’s going to be fun adding a nuclear weapon to our arsenal. Opposing defenses will have to back way off once Jamo is out there. Opens up a bunch of playbook possibilities for everyone else.

1 Like

Yep. Press coverage? Who knows he is a rook and has to adjust. Play 5 or 10 yards off him and better pray your safety is your best friend.

2 Likes

Me too, big time. He could change the complexion of this offense if he gets back to his pre-injury form.

With that said - I’m still not sure Goff is going to be the QB who can take advantage of Jamo.

4 Likes

Don’t be surprised by any of this, my man…Dude has spent about 6 months with Fox…it’ll only get better, man.

You got that right!

They press cover J-Moss, they will pay with points.

Definite concern of mine too.

1 Like

Timestamped at 0:42

That is a TD all day! Jared completely underestimated the speed of Jameson.

Seeing Jamo and Goff work out in California put a smile on everyone’s face. The chemistry needs to be improved between these two. Goff has never thrown to someone with this much speed. Not many QB’s have.

I’ve thought about this throw for a few months now. I’m sure it’s burned into a lot of memories here in the Den. Jamo is gonna get a lot of defensive coaches fired over the next few season.

1 Like

Unfortunately… the headline on video is misleading…
he wasn’t covered by Sauce on that play….

but… it also does provide some push back to the idea that all of the issues with Goff and Jamo having a low completion rate were Jamo’s fault.

For the record… I am not worried… they have time to get on the same page and I think it will be very productive.

2 Likes

I’m not either. (right now)
I love that MJ is back in town. He’s going to have the same work ethic and attention to detail that ARSB has, so the messaging from El on down will be 100% the same.

1 Like