Jamo takes Stafford's number

More power to him. Stafford’s number wasn’t going to be retired or anything anyway. 20, 81, 9… with the losing this franchise has done, nothing’s sacred. 3 best Lions in my lifetime… all water under the bridge at this point.

:eyes::-1:t3::eyes::-1:t3::eyes::-1:t3:

2 Likes

A BIG F U….Mike McMahon has them both beat by a mile! :tumbler_glass:

2 Likes

Don’t forget about J.T. O’Sullivan. Dude was amazing.

2 Likes

He’s actually ranked 2nd on my list :grinning:

1 Like

Loved Stafford while he was here. The best Lions QB since I’ve been watching this clown show… starting in 1966. Happy that he got the opportunity to shine under the bright lights of the SB.
He’s gone, now…Jamo should fill out that #9 jersey just fine.

1 Like

Except for apparently the number 7 which was retired 90 years ago for a guy that played 4 seasons.

#Unretire7

2 Likes

Detmer and his 7 INTs would like a word….

3 Likes

He’s 3rd on my list

Also, if we hypothetically get Bryce Young, does Jamo give the number up to his old college QB?

Well, Jamo really wants 1. So there’s a chance. A distasteful chance, but a chance.

1 Like

going back 22 years to name one???

Plenty of great QB’s who start as a high pick on a terrible team, that put a lot of those numbers just the way Stafford did. You can’t take away the numbers. They are earned in crunch time and garbage time and you can’t have elite 4th quarter comeback win numbers, if those late game stats didn’t mean something. If Stafford would have had a running game and defense for at least a good portion of his career, sure he would have more wins and less stats. But no HOF QB get’s their stats hit with a minus button and Stafford will be no different.

The only thing holding him back from the jacket was the ring. Now he has that too, anything else he does is just putting him closer to being inducted during his first year of eligibility. Any player in the HOF as a Lion should be considered a quote “Lions legend.” That is clearly what Stafford is. Plenty of Lions legends didn’t win squat either. But their play put them in their rightful place.

I agree with you here, especially in a sport like football… retiring numbers is cool and all (retire 91 red wings dammit!) but, it gets to a point where there’s only so many numbers left. It’s hardest to do in football because of the huge rosters.

I say do the ring of honor or numbers of honor and a player has to earn the right to get a number, but it’s never retired.

I would be all for someone else in Detroit to wear 19, 91, 7, 9, 20, etc. Doesn’t mean you don’t honor them but you give a number to the next generation to live up to and hopefully exceed

I mean let’s face it… who’s the best #65 in Detroit sports history? Let the kids have the cool numbers but make sure they know who wore it before them.

It’s even silly too because it’s just numbers, like it’s some sacred cow… anyway that’s my thoughts thanks for listening :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It was a joke in reference to someone else’s posts in an earlier thread. If you care to check it out the thread was titled “Any Concerns?”.

1 Like

Maybe 9 can become for us what 7 is for LSU or 1 is going to be for Miami. I’m sure there are other teams that do something similar.

The game changers wear 9.

1 Like

We had that with #20.

2 things…

1. Barry is the G.O.A.T at his position. Stafford isn’t. Makes sense no one wears it.

2. All players couldn’t wear single digits before.

1 Like

This statement has been debunked.

I’ve proven this false many times. He actually threw for about the same amount of yards in the first half as he did the second half while he was a Lion. The 2nd quarter was his best statistical quarter. Not the forth.

I’ve broken it down by quarter more than once and he’s been fairly even across the quarters.

Look it up!

1 Like

Ah, yes. The old role reversal.
Cause, I took the bait. My bad.

1 Like