Jamo Utilization…

I thought that in real time - I was like what is he doing? There’s a reason he’s a WR and not a RB lol. Even basic football vision and he scores there no problem.

1 Like

Interesting quote today from Ben Johnson: “I hoped it would click just a little bit faster than it has, I think we all have. But it takes time sometimes, and we’re not losing faith. We’re going to keep pressing it, and it’ll end up clicking at some point. He’ll have a big game and be like, ‘OK, that’s why. That’s why we took him where we took him.’

I know several of the more optimistic posters on here keep chalking it up to the Lions purposefully and intentionally bringing him along slowly - like the one catch and limited snaps was all part of the plan. I think that’s a bit overly optimistic. It’s clear the timing is off with Goff, but it’s also clear it just hasn’t clicked at the pro level with Jamo yet. Not a big deal, certainly not a bust or anything, but there’s no doubt he’s been disappointing this year. I expect him to come back strong next year, but I’m also adjusting my expectations for next year as well. In my mind I was penciling him in as a starter at WR but he just may not be ready for that. I think we may have to look at him essentially as a rookie next year.

1 Like

Reason #1 why Jamo is not doing better is Jamo!

He’s too ■■■■■■■ FAST! he out ran all his blockers on that jet sweep… and he wasn’t even trying to burn! So part of Jamo’s learning curve is knowing when to turn on those TURBOs!

1 Like

Yeah. Getting a strong green rookie vibe from Jamo. Maybe a bit immature and hasn’t learned the route tree like he should have. I’m hoping be become more Tyreel Hill than Charles Rogers but as Johnson says it will take time

3 Likes

I think its plays like this that don’t have him on the field more. Goff is having a bit of trouble hitting him in stride (still learning how to lead him etc) and Jamo, to date, hasn’t shown the hands to adjust.

3 Likes

Agreed on both counts. FWIW, on this particular play he was fortunate to have dropped it. Brisker was lining him up for the kill shot.

1 Like

maybe that is why Goff threw it behind him and low…
hoping he could stop and go down to turf for catch???

I had thought at first if Goff threw it far enough in front of Jamo he might outrun Brisker to sideline… but I can also see how it might have ended in a big hit too.

2 Likes

Solid observations. He has recovered from a major injury. He is beginning to test it out at full speed. You never know how much that type of injury lingers in the back of certain guys’ minds. Adrian Peterson went out and crushed 2097 yards 8 months after tearing both his ACL and MCL. It was superhuman. And AD had been in the league 5 years. Maybe it rattles a little louder in the back of Jamo’s psyche for whatever reason. Jamo has had the doubly-high hurdle to get over in that he’s playing in the NFL for the first time at end-of-season speed. Everyone out there has had OTAs, training camp, preseason games, and a full season to be at peak speed. He got none of that and is transitioning into a seasoned war zone with live rounds whizzing past his head. So I’ll give him a break for now. Sure, we all hoped he’d set the world on fire instantly. I’m not too terribly concerned with his slow start. If we weren’t in contention they’d be feeding him a lot more. There’s just no need right now to force his development. He’ll be night and day next season taking slants to the house and stressing safeties to the max.

3 Likes

Agreed. It wouldn’t surprise me if he started out slowly while him and Goff still develop chemistry, then turns it on as the season goes along. Almost similar to Chark this year without the injury :slight_smile:

1 Like

He’s 21, barely legal to drink and couldn’t play football for 10 months. He’s going to be fine! The speed is back and that’s the most important thing I wanted to see. Chemistry, and timing with Goff will come.

He’s still had 1 long TD catch, a 40 yard gain on a reverse and was wide open for another long TD vs the Jets, which should have been another 50 yard TD. So, there are some very promising things as well. The big play potential is clearly there.

Something people forget is just how young Jamo is. He was born in 2001. James Houston on the other hand is 3 years older than Jamo, born in 1998.

4 Likes

Robert Redford Yes GIF

1 Like

Funny how he grabs his head after the drop :grinning:

2 Likes

I’m just glad it’s not having any negative effects on his mental, at least outwardly. Dude was literally all smiles and just appears to be enjoying the ride during his interview yesterday:

1 Like

Goff also missed him on a pass in the last game in 1st quarter.

I’m not throwing “shade” at Goff… because missed throws happen… and he has been making most of the right throws for a while now…
but it is surprising to me that those missed throws didn’t draw more attention from some posters around these parts….

1 Like

People discussed them in the game thread. They didn’t look like they were on the same page. The one pass was behind Jamo on the crosser he dropped. and (from memory) I think two thrown at his feet on I think a slant and or a bubble screen.

But Goff was over 72% comp for the game with almost 9 YPA. So he was on target that week; but not to Jamo for some reason. Would love to see them ‘click’ Sunday night

5 Likes

Its all ben johnson 5 d chess to lull the packers d asleep. Dont worry about jamo and goff packers… they cant complete a pass… you can let the speedster go deep alone… goff cant hit him! Hes a decoy this time for sure… etc etc

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.