Jared Goff Game 1 Passing Chart

Most any QB can be accurate if he only throwing the 15 yards. :thinking:

And he totally whiffed on a bunch of short throws to boot. Makes me jealous of teams with young QBs who seem to do it effortlessly.

I was very disappointed that Goff didnā€™t get more reps in preseason games. He attempted 9 passes.

Tom Brady is 44yo and returming to his Super Bowl winning team with all 22 starters and top 9-10 skill players back from last yearā€¦ and he threw more preseason passes than Goff. :flushed:

2 Likes

In 2018 he led the Rams to the Super Bowl despite a 19th ranked defense
and a star RB finishing the season on one knee. He had some decent options in the passing game but it was hardly the Greatest Show on Turf.

4 Likes

As soon as Goff gets injured he will soon become sliced bread here. So predictable.

If WFT called up today wanting to trade for Goff Iā€™d say yes and not think twice.

1 Like

Iā€™m judging from Goffā€™s Rams career that he is really reliant on o-line play more than WRs. Perhaps when we get Decker back heā€™ll play better. His scrambling is really ugly.

Not sure what people expected. We knew the short passing game was going to be emphasized based on the roster construction, and thatā€™s when TWill and Perriman were both hypothetically starting.

Yes, Iā€™d like to see a couple more downfield attempts and a couple more downfield completions, but with this WR corps, thatā€™s about the best you can ask for.

Goff wasnā€™t all-world yesterday, but anyone who saw horrific is looking through ā€œI-want-to-draft-a-quarterback-so-bad-I-can-taste-itā€ tinted glasses.

6 Likes

STAFFORD SLURPER ALERT!!!
Tim And Eric Stuffing Face GIF

1 Like

I think he just needs time to develop some chemistry with his wide receivers. That entire wr corps has changed quite a bit since training camp ended and you could tell yesterday he and Benson werenā€™t on the same page.

3 Likes

I canā€™t help but think Aaron R could have used some snaps too.

2 Likes

!!!

I didnā€™t realize it was quite that bad, but of course youā€™re right: he didnā€™t even get one full preseason game; he got a half of one preseason game before yesterday. I donā€™t necessarily think that was a terrible moveā€“we werenā€™t going to contend for a playoff spot this year, so prioritizing Goffā€™s health over his getting comfortable is IMO justifiable.

But yeah, cripes people, Goff looked like a guy who was still figuring out what the hell is going on out there because thatā€™s exactly what he is! I expect him to look better next week and better than that the week after. We will have lots of time at the end of this year to decide what he is and what heā€™ll mean for this team moving forward.

2 Likes

Were not beating anyone having Goff, or really any QB, throw the ball 58 times. Its going to be a long year and hopefully some of the wrā€™s and Goff can get on the same page. Raymond look like the best wideout on the roster and you can see some ability in Cephus. Thankfully we wont be facing a front 7 like the 49ers every week.

I feel a bit bad for Goff because I donā€™t think Holmes set him up for success this year. I donā€™t think heā€™s purposely tanking him, but he definitely could have done a better job strengthening the WR position.

1 Like

I donā€™t know if you can call some of those throws. Itā€™s more like passing to run.

I definitely wouldnā€™t pass judgment on him based on a 1 game sample size in a new system (why he didnā€™t play more in preseason is beyond me), Iā€™m more passing judgment on him based on two seasons of mediocre play. I really want to believe that heā€™s the answer at QB but I just donā€™t.

1 Like

They passed 58x because they were so far behind. The fact is they ran the ball very well in the first half.

3 Likes

The NFL office would say ā€œnoā€ to that trade.

Lions restructured $20 million of Goffā€™s salary for 2021, which pushed $15 million of his cap hit into future years. If they trade himā€¦ that cap charge would hit the cap nowā€¦ and the Lions are roughly $7 million umder the capā€¦ so that would put them $8 million over the cap.

The Lions donā€™t have any remaining players that would be good candidates for restructurimg to create tjat ki d of cap space.

NFL needs the Laydown Lions to remain the Laydown Lions. Similar to how the Harlem Globe Trotters need the Washington Generals.
When Roger Goodellā€™s writing team sketches out the upcoming season there is never any version where the Lions rise up and actually compete for anything significant because that would be too chaotic and make season planning too hard. I think we all know this. The coaches know it and use their tenancy at Detroit to gain coaching experience, and of course the players draw paychecks pretty similar to the paychecks recieved on other teams. Over all, it just works. Fans use the team as an outlet for their life frustrations and live in the hope of a better future, and thatā€™s positive.

1 Like

Goff carved up the Buffalo Bills last year, when the Bills were dominating some other pretty good teams. Several deep completions, under pressure.

Itā€™s a nice watch, if youā€™ve got the time.

No, Goff isnā€™t a Hall of Fame QB.

We could definitely win with him. Heā€™s proven it several times, so that part is not an opinion.

Iā€™m not going to hate on him every time he fails to put the worst roster in the NFL on his shoulders and carry them to victory.

Heā€™s a very good, not great, QB that can definitely win with decent players around him.

Quite simply: He is not the problem.

8 Likes