Jared Goff Game 1 Passing Chart

People who are reacting the way they are to this passing chart, probably aren’t familiar with passing charts.

Stafford only had 2 passes over 20 yards yesterday and one was the “lay up” to Kupp, as the announcers called it.

To be fair to Goff, who has the better WR’s?
And Goff actually threw more passes beyond 20 yards, so, yeah…

5 Likes

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

I thought there were some things he did well. Maybe they didn’t show up on the TV screen but they were obvious when watching in person.

He’s way better than Stafford at selling a play. Often he pulled coverages away from his intended target.

He’s better at disguising the play as well.

However he made some bad throws, at his WR’s dropped way too many as well.

Overall I though the offense looked like it was close to being good but that defense looked worse than last years historically bad defense.

7 Likes

Ok, but what about this…

"Of his first 43 pass attempts, just two traveled more than 15 yards down the field per a FOX broadcast graphic”

So while we did attempt to be more aggressive down field when we hit desperation mode, it clearly wasn’t happening for the majority of the game.

Stafford and the Rams were attacking that Bears defense from the first snap on.

I like to look at the 10 yard comparisons too. 10 yards is what moves the chains.

How are the comparisons at the 10 yard Mark?

We were very clearly executing a very timid passing attack compared to the Rams.

1 Like

I agree wholeheartedly, was going to make a thread about Goff not being the problem.
I think he loosened-up and got better as the game went-on.
I don’t think he has a whole lot to work with, I didn’t see guys down the field running free.
Hock is our best receiver and he’s going to do 98% of his work within 20 yards of the LOS.

If people are expecting some Air-raid offense built on deep passes, they are going to be greatly disappointed. I do think that Goff and Lynn should be throwing the ball deep, even if it’s over everyone’s heads just to keep defenses honest.

But until Goff plays defense, he’ll be far from this teams problem.

1 Like

I totally agree with all of your post… but I would just say that both the deep balls were “lay ups” for any decent NFL QB. Credit to Matt for making the throws… but anyone rooting for him or Rams would have been seriously disappointed in he missed them as well.

1 Like

Goff threw to.pretty much the same receivers last season with far less flattering results. It’s not like Goff’s failures the last two seasons were due to a weak supporting cast.

I know you were just comparing the their Week 1 performance but I felt the need to point out that Stafford is throwing to the same players Goff threw to last season to make a valid comparison regarding who they both had to work with, albeit only a 1 game sample size with Stafford.

All this arguing and the truth is our game yesterday doesn’t go any different with Stafford and the Rams game goes no different for them with Goff.

1 Like

I definitely agree that it’s not all on Goff.

There is a more to blame for what’s probably going to be a very pedestrian passing game all season long than just our QB.

2 Likes

Okay after catching up on everyone’s thoughts so far allow me to add my own. I had a strong suspension going into the game yesterday that the focus of the offense was going to be run heavy with a lot of dink and dunk passes. Which is exactly what I saw on the field. Now the reason for this might just be the game plan, it might be because of the speed of the receivers, or it might be because of Goeff. In any case I believe that it is way to soon to make a judgement based on one game. Now as the season continues I would suspect that we will get a better idea of why the offense looked the way that it did.

1 Like

There’s some truth to this. However, Van J is going to his 2nd year and we added D. Jackson. Allen also appears like a big upgrade at C for us. Our offense is more talented this year overall.

Last season our 3rd receiver was Reynolds who was pretty awful. And per usual Kupp was hurt come playoff time.

But Stafford did execute the offense very well last night. No denying that.

3 Likes

Stafford is 1-0 for the Rams against the Bears.
He played well… no doubt.
The Rams led 20-14 late in the 3rd, and Stafford threw 5 passes in 4th quarter including a TD pass they needed to ice the game.
Stafford got 2 “lay ups” on blown coverages that accounted for 123 of his 321 passing yards.

I am very confident that Goff was NOT refusing to throw balls on plays like those where the WRs are 10+ yards behind the DBs.

In 2020… Goff was also 1-0 against the Bears.
He threw for less yards and only 2 TDs.
However… he didn’t attempt a pass in the 4th quarter because the Rams were leading 24-3 at the time.

EDITED to add… the Bears also had Kyle Fuller at CB in 2020… whose job was filled by Kindle Vindor this year.
Kindle… that name is familiar. Oh crap… was thinking about the Amazon Kindle! This Kindle is a rookie 5th rd pick from Georgia Southern. :confused:

There are no victory laps to be had after week #1 against the Bears. That is likely to be 1 of the 4 worst teams the Rams play all year (unless Fields gets to play and completely balls out).

I do expect Stafford to have a better year than Goff had in 2020. He is a better QB at this point in their careers.
I also will say that Van Jefferson in year 2 and D-Jax do represent an upgrade over Josh Reynolds from 2020.

2 Likes

Actually this is just not true. Kupp and woods, yes, but there was not a WR on the Rams last year with greater than 4.5 speed. This year they have DeSean Jackson and Tutu Atwell who both have blazing speed.

1 Like

And they added DeSean Jackson who still has speed to burn this year.

1 Like

Huh?

2 Likes

Green Bay looked really bad, Sunday. Worse than the Lions.
I think the Lions would have to give the division away, not to win it.

1 Like

Packers are tanking, so they can draft a QB next year!!!

5 Likes

You know as well as I do that by the end of the year, the Packers will be 12-5 and the Lions will be 5-12.

He may not have Stafford’s arm but he can put the ball downfield when given an opportunity. I remember watching the game live and thinking how good Goff and Mahomes were.

Very likely