Jared Goff # thoughts

Jared Goff is not an improvisor. He’s not going to run for a lot of first downs, nor is he going to look good playing backyard ball when the offensive plan is in shambles.

I believe Goff is excellent at playing within the offensive scheme. He doesn’t need otherworldly talent around him, but he does need teammates who can execute appropriately. I think the biggest thing is, he needs receiving talent that can be where they’re supposed to be and an OC who can adapt the game plan as personnel changes.

It drives me crazy, because Goff is everything every OC between Linehan and Bevell tried to turn Stafford into. Now that we have that guy, people bitch that he isn’t the loose cannon improviser that Matt is.

3 Likes

I do think Goff needs a supporting cast around him but he’s been the QB on a great offense before.

2 Likes

Goff needs to eat some cheeseburgers, fries, and shakes. Check out this picture from the Lions website.

This dude plays in the NFL?!?

He should continue to make plays and put up numbers in this offense. Ben Johnson has called some nice plays. I loved that 2nd and 2 for 20 yards or so to B Wright out of a 3 TE end set on the Lions last TD drive. That was some good stuff!

Keep it up Johnson & Goff!

Is there a QB who doesn’t need a (good) “supporting cast” to succeed?

2 Likes

There are 4- Brady, Rodgers, Allen and Mahomes… well not really true! Brady often required a top 5 D, and won rings with #8-20 overall QB stats (or worse)…. Erin wins MVPs without crazy talent, but not playoff games? Neither rank well under pressure in 22’

I think anyone would trade 3-4 firsts for Mahomes or Allen, but I’d bet they aren’t for sale - lol

So on goes the list of teams trying the Wilson, Lance, Fields, Mariota, Winston, RH3, Wentz, Baker, Rosen. and even Goff approach…

The reality is most SB QBs are over 25 and many not on their drafting team.

I think very few people believed Goff sucked. But half probably feel he isn’t and won’t be a top 10 QB in the league.

I think he’s a solid NFL starter, have always thought that. But he isn’t a QB (for me) that I’m willing to commit to with an extension. But I am happy to root for him and would be happy to be proven wrong.

The packers are always said to not have a ton of talent. I couldn’t disagree more. I would say for the entirety of ARods career, the packers have never fielded a team outside of the top 10 talent wise.

The packers have been good for the entirety of my lifetime. And it’s not just at QB.

What year was that? I want to go back and watch it.

EDIT: ok saw the highlights you posted.

His week 11 MNF game against the Chiefs was also excellent. The game was supposed to be in Mexico City but the field was trashed from a Shakira concert so the game was moved backed to LA. The Rams couldn’t practice in LA because of fires so they trained in Denver for altitude reasons. Right before the game there was a mass shooting near their SoCal practice facility. Then on Monday night Goff went toe to toe with Mahomes and came out ahead.

5 Likes

One other aspect I can see is that there may be a tangible benefit to not paying a quarterback ludicrous dollars. Where we know we can win with the QB but he isn’t an irreplaceable piece. I imagine the difference between the 65th-70th percentile QB and the 100th is at least a number of lineman.

You will always have to defend him. Even if he wins a SB.

There are people here who still think Stafford sucks and the Rams would have won with any average QB.

4 Likes

Your post is exactly why it’s not easy to find a starting caliber QB.

Goff is one. He may not be Allen or Mahomes but he’s a starting caliber QB.

Look at all the teams struggling years to find one.

There’s a reason Atl stuck with Ryan and LV is sticking with Carr.

8 Likes

So then you of course get the irony of your statement considering what this board has been regarding one Matthew J. Stafford.

1 Like

Young Lions fans don’t remember the time between Landry and Stafford.

4 Likes

actually…John Matthew Stafford.

1 Like

Just in case they want to know.
Golsteyn, Komlo, Hipple, Witkowski, Ferguson, Long, Hons, Hilger, Gagliano, Pete, Ware, Kramer, Mitchell, Krieg, Majkowski, Reich, Batch, Frerotte, Case, Detmer, McMahon, Harrington, Garcia, Orlovsky, Kitna, Culpepper, Stanton.
Only posted Qbs that had official records.

2 Likes

You forgot Danielson.

It sucks getting old. the original Landry replacement.

2 Likes

This quote cracks me up! 2 decent games of Ben’s new offense and Goff is GREAT. What happens when the opposing D catches on and good QB play is needed? You still counting on Goof?

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

The little lights aren’t twinkling Clarke…

Thanks for noticing Ed…