Jared Goff # thoughts

Oooof… enough to make some Goff fans I’ll bet!

One would think.

Doesn’t appear to be the case, though.

I bet not many QB’s could operate well in Ben Johnson’s offence, which requires a ton of smarts (and likely Jared’s photographic memory as well). Jared may not be as replaceable as many think (at least if Ben is the OC).

7 Likes

I suspect Jared’s contributions to the offense are being underestimated by many and BJs contributions overestimated by many. One reason I’m not wringing my hands about the possibility of him leaving. (Which I still hope he doesn’t)

It kind of seems so many think Goff is little more than a Sims character who needs someone to point and click to perform.

Going back to Cal when his OC Franklin was interviewed pre draft he said, “People think because we’re in this Air Raid family that there’s one or two progressions for the quarterback, which is really an insult because it’s nowhere near the truth…We give the quarterback an incredible amount of responsibility and Goff got more than any quarterback since I’ve been coaching…He probably had more on his shoulders before the snap than any quarterback in the NFL.”

Under Franklin, Goff had the ability to choose between the called run play and an alternate pass play, and vice versa, based on the alignment of the defense. Goff had the ability to audible individual routes on pass plays”

Which tracks with what Decker was saying before our season: “Out here the first week, four or five days of practice you see it. He comes up to the line, if we have an alert play, and he just alerts it right away. He already sees it. That allows us to play fast, that allows us to get up on the line of scrimmage…He’s helping the entire offense by taking ownership of it. He’s out there throwing dimes, we know he throws dimes. We get excited, we give him time, we know big plays will be made.”

3 Likes

Not one to doubt you Maggie, but I have heard Erin, Maholmes and a few others I don’t recall with a so called photographic memory. Where does this come from, first time I’ve heard it spoken of Goff.
However I manage a group of 30+ sales guys, according to themselves 1/2 have photographic memories.(I’m a doubter) :sweat_smile:

Offf…what a ride! It’s just like getting old. I’m not doing it again.

2 Likes

I’m not sure photographic memories are a thing. I always just thought it was cinematic trope.

I do recall a post where Goff was playing some visual game with podcast hosts where they all glimpsed a fraction of a second of some random QB and Goff was ridiculous in how well he did. Tried to find a link and I can’t

3 Likes

I do think people underestimate the volume of plays Goff can run because of both the experience and arm talent. He is a distributor of the ball.

A rookie, especially a mobile one will make some wow plays but it could take years before they can run all the different plays and sets that a 7+ year vet can. People don’t realize that. Fields probably has 40 plays he can run with slight variations. Goff probably has 400.

4 Likes

The vast majority of fans don’t know, can’t possibly appreciate, the sophistication of NFL offenses or what it takes to successfully QB one, much less be among the top-10 performers at the position. (And, to be clear, I very much include myself in that vast majority.) The complexity these guys (players, coordinators, etc.) have to master is remarkable.

We can watch from home and understand how it all turns out - and, for sure, the basics of brute force, speed, and want-to still play major roles alongside the opposing schemes, film study, and computer-based evaluations. But to think that we really understand what’s gong on half the time, especially absent the 22-man view, is kinda ridiculous.

5 Likes

The video you are thinking of was part of the “Friday Beers” youtube channel, but it appears that they have deleted most of their content.

I agree that many of the top QB’s have great memories (Brady’s is well documented). It is a trait that gets little attention but is really valuable. I’m not sure that all of the top running QB’s have this trait, but certainly the guys you list checkmate260 do have it as well. It just means it is harder to replace Goff (and others) with a rookie as many suppose (not without simplifying the offence, which would likely hurt ASB more than the others).

4 Likes

The Sims character analogy is a good one. Very clever! I know most here want Sim’s plus Rambo (and I get it). But only a few are both.

2 Likes

Goff has plenty of photographic mammaries… errr… memories….

5 Likes

Fixed.
This aged well, huh?

1 Like

LOL.

6 Likes

I can see how his arm strenght might get better lifting those things .

2 Likes

I just had a random Jared Goff thought -

someone must have thought of this before my sudden realization

Jared can NEVER name his (future) son Jack

…think about that for a second…

1 Like

Sean would totally pipe her.

See, Jared. How does that make you feel?

1 Like

How did you know my name??? :thinking:

Seriously, I not only only share the same first name with Goff…
but also the middle name!!!

2 Likes

Don’t do that. I used to work for a man named Jack Auffenberg.
Poor guy. Rich enough to own 22 dealerships, but…
I have heard the words “Jack off” coming out of several mouths as they left his office.:rofl:

Yes I Count on Jared Goff, the man reached OVER 4,000 yards, had 29 TD’s and 7 INT’s in 2022. if we didn’t play like chit the first part of the season, he may have reached 5,000 yards passing, and more like 35 TD’s.

1 Like