Jared Goff # thoughts

The Lions did have a Chad Kanoff a few years back…say that name five times fast

2 Likes

I don’t know if Goffs ever gonna throw for 5000 yards and 40 TDs. The Lions are gonna have a nasty running game that’s gonna be even better this year……especially once we get Bijon!

1 Like

well we stumbled like hell out of the gate due to injuries…Jared had 4,436 yards passing in 2022…I said if we were not stumbling around with all the injuries…I THINK Jared could have reached 5,000 and about 35 TD’s.

IuP

1 Like

Yea I get that but I think with an improved defense and improved running game we won’t need Goff to throw for 5000 yards. Absolutely believe he could though!

5 Likes

I think an underated aspect of Goff’s game is that he doesn’t seem to care about his personal stats just wins.

6 Likes

Ever think if the defense wasn’t dog poo that Goff would’ve had LESS yards? I think 30-35 TDs is about what we should expect from him,especially considering the amount of short yardage TDs they scored last year won’t be duplicated next year.

Consider too how many TD passes fell one yard short of the end zone. Most of Williams record amount of TDs were punch ins from the goal line set up by a pass
The WRs even joked about it to the media. It could have been 10 more passing TDs easy

3 Likes

On one hand, a stronger D means less scoring by the opponent, more leads and “ball control” offense by the Lions and Goff. OTOH, fewer long drives by the opponent would have meant more possessions by the Lions’ O and more opportunities for the passing game. My guess is that the latter effects would outweigh the former in re passing game stats, but… whatevs.

1 Like

+100

1 Like

I think there are several aspects of his game that are underrated due to the human being he is.

Here’s another one. He doesn’t worry about “keeping his guy” happy. He does not care what the name on the back says or the 0s on the contract. If you can get open, he is going to find you. Now this might not work on some teams. I believe he’s in a unique position. It’s a combination of teammate he is along with a long list of guys who also don’t care. They’re team first guys.

Amon on RECENT podcast: “I’ll block all game long if that’s what they ask me to do and we win.”

Guy just caught 100 balls. Doesn’t care. They all just want Ws.

6 Likes

Don’t care what anybody else thinks , I say Jared Goff has proven his worth HERE @ QB.

9 Likes

It’s one of the more stark differences between Goff and Stafford (both of whom I love as our QB).

If the defense says, “We’re going to blanket and take away your top receiver. You just can’t throw to him,” the two quarterbacks respond quite differently.

Goff says, “Okay, I’ll just throw to my open fourth-string receiver and no-name tight end. Thanks for making it easy.”

Matt says, “Challenge accepted. Hold my beer…”

10 Likes

Very well put! Is there one you would take more often? Don’t want to spark a Goff vs Stafford debate. It’s an interesting philosophical question.

The crazy thing about life is that to be truly great, you need a mix of both of that AND you need to pick the correct style at the correct time, otherwise you will fail bad.

8 Likes

This is soooo well put!

Nicolas Cage Applause GIF

2 Likes

Quiz them. Give them 30 seconds to review a random page our of a book they havent read. Take it away and ask them what the 4th word on line 13 is. Simple enough.

Well, my heart prefers the Stafford-esque fearless quarterback going deep so often that the ghost of Al Davis asks, “Aren’t you throwing downfield a bit much?”

My head likes the ruthless efficiency of Goff slicing and dicing, executing the offense to perfection.

Both dudes are great and bring some awesome tools to the table.

Frankly, my beef is when they’re being misused. Don’t be Joe Lombardi and put Staff in an offense that requires high precision, zero-margin-of-error passing efficiency. Similarly, don’t be Sean McVay, let your offense go stale, and then expect Goff to just go out there and “figure it out” backyard style.

Got a good-to-great offensive coordinator and a decent game plan? Goff all day. Need the guy who’s going to make a play in an “everybody get open” situation? Matt is my dude.

2 Likes

I like easy… Except when it’s 4th & 1 and Goff misses a deep pass to a wide open receiver… I jest.

https://twitter.com/HighHeatStats/status/1646198157670334498?s=20

Big Brother Welcome To The Club GIF by Big Brother Australia

1 Like