Javy Baez having worst season in MLB history

Now, StatMuse says next to worse by .001 OPS…but. Yeah, can we be done here, Harris?

2 Likes
1 Like

I guess this tells us what they think of the SS in AAA and options sitting on the bench in Detroit; not much.

2 Likes

You know, I might be able to cut him a little slack if he showed even an ounce of humility. But he walks out on the field and up to the plate like he’s the second coming of Babe Ruth. How? Statistically the worst in major-league baseball history. Just think about that while he’s being paid $30 million a year. Craziness

2 Likes

.451 OPS is hard to believe…if you went up to the plate and just faked bunts, you might draw a few walks and get hit by a few wild pitches.

When the National league still had pitchers hitting… many had a better OPS. Crazy.

1 Like

If he could just be average at the plate, he’d almost earn his salary. He simply makes up his mind whether to swing or not before the ball is pitched.

2 Likes

Until he is released from the team. I will not fallow this team. He is everything i need to know about this team.

I guess wake me in 2027 when his contract is almost up and all these “future hall of famers” that are in High School still finally get called up.

See you then.

7 Likes

It’s weird iirc he has a higher success rate with runners on, from memory

While Baez is a special case, there’s a lot of teams that are handcuffed with a bad contract for an under performing player. I’m not telling anyone what to do, but you’re missing some good exciting baseball with many of the young guys stepping up recently. Still 2 to 3 years away from prime time so ultimately I guess you’re not missing much If you’re only interested in seeing World Series caliber baseball in Detroit.

2 Likes

I still think a lot of this is because pitchers don’t throw him the craziest stuff for fear of getting a wild pitch. Probably try to work the zone a little bit more in those situation. Then once every blue moon, with eyes closed I’m sure, he makes contact.

1 Like

I just looked this up. Actually, according to the MLB site, he doesn’t have enough AB’s to be a qualified hitter. If you’re talking abut “all players” he’s not the lowest.

Great news, huh?

1 Like

1 Like

Yeah that’s correct he has to qualify for the season which is 3.1 at bats or certain plate appearances per game and the reason that he’s the slowest because there have been many worse performances but teams don’t stick around with the guy long enough to have them qualify for the batting title which is what qualified means. So these are cases where these players were just run out there for three quarters basically of a season or more and the teams either felt their defense or their leadership or their lack of replacement was the reason for staying the course.
I think a better research project would be to take a look at a production levels of some very famous terrible contracts that ended up being eaten for a large amount of their contract value percentage wise. Chris Davis comes to mind as probably the worst one ever but there will be plenty more of those to take a peek at and then compare to. Of course Mickey would be one of the big ones he just simply kept playing. Also in that group would probably be Prince Fielder and yes even though he retired into his neck injury that contract was not in line but he had some legitimate production and legitimate injuries which is why a lot of these things happen. That is why the Baez situation may end up being unique he’s really not hurt and he’s not old he’s still at the end of his prime age 32. It may be unprecedented at least in modern times because there were quite a few players because of Lifestyle in the teens 20s 30s you know pre World War II that were pretty much done by 31 even though some of them made the Hall of Fame.

Long story short it really is a unforeseeable collapse and I’m not going to blame ability too much for it. When you look at his previous two seasons of the Tigers he was terrible in the covid year which is hard to hold against a person and then he was pretty damn good and what ended up being his contract year which is probably a red flag and before all that he was you know all star plenty of MVP books kind of guy. It’s just absolutely baffling that he could lose all of his ability in such a short period of time seemingly simply due to play discipline mental and maybe a little bit of reaction time issues. It’s absolutely baffling

I truly hate thinking about Javy Baez’ contract.

It just puts me in a pissy mood.

2 Likes

He gets a $2M bonus if he wins MVP this year.

6 Likes

Lmao.

Ok, I feel better now. Thanks for that.

2 Likes

Its the kind of thing that would happen to the SOL.
There’s something going on with his head. Who knows what it is.
His Cubs highlights except for 2020 were amazing.
If it weren’t for his year with the Mets, I would have thought it was something weird like long Covid.

2 Likes

If they were going to spend a lot of money, they should have signed this guy instead:

Carlos Correa | MLB | Spotrac.com.

Baez has been putrid.

He had a far worse injury history than Baez did. And, its kept up since his 2 signings, as the Twins didnt trust him at first

2017-19 was a shitton of missed games when he should have been healthiest. Even these 3 big contract years are tracking 30 ganes a year missed, a marked improvement but still not what you spend 250mm for

2 Likes