Jeff Okudah offers a promising video update on his injury recovery

True, but given the choice, you’d rather have speed. As I said, using history as a guide, CB’s generally don’t go in the top 5 unless they run in the 4.3’s. Haden didn’t go in the top 5.

I think if we would have traded down from 3 to 7 for a 2nd rounder and then took Okudah, people would have had less problem with the pick.

2 Likes

I just want to point out that there are 300lb DL who post 30” verticals.

I am impressed that he’s doing well, and working out hard. I am sure these video’s help to build his confidence too.

This workout is a common exercise used to improve vertical height.

He had a 41” vertical at his normal playing weight pre injury. I’m sure he did this exercise then. I wonder what his vertical was? That way we would have a control to gauge it too.

I agree. You’d always rather have corners that can run sub 4.4. But you don’t really need two of those guys. If you have one true #1 you can have a corner like okudah on the other side and be good. It also depends heavily on the scheme. Your corners don’t need to be 4.3 guys if you’re heavy cover 2 or zone. You better have them if you run heavy man to man.

While holding sixty pounds worth of dumbbells?

They’re holding 300lbs

Okudah with his added 60 is at 265.

Like I said I wish we had a control to compare it to so we could see if this is impressive or not.

I guarantee you he did this exercise pre injury. I wish a reporter would ask him where he was at pre injury with the added weight. It’s a common exercise for players to improve their combine numbers so I am sure he knows.

These WRs were jumping at the combine without 60 pounds of dumbbells… and quite a few couldn’t beat Okudah by much. :+1:

Olave even trained in the same college weight room…

2 Likes

It’s great to see Okudah making progress, now we gotta see it Sundays this year. The workouts are great for a bit of koolaid, but we need results from a top 5 pick.

1 Like

Mark me down as one who still expects great things from Okudah

7 Likes

Well we got our first wish. He’s not on PUP

1 Like

It’s not just about the physical. You still need to know where to go and not get fooled. A 40 inch vertical won’t help you if you’re running 5 yards behind the receiver.

2 Likes

I would love for you to be right! If he ends up great, we are in a really nice spot.

My many years of Lions fandom have me hoping for ‘decent’ and not ‘bust due to injury.’ But I want to be wrong!

2 Likes