Jeff Risdon on Edge for Draft

If I hated Goff I would also love and defend the upcoming prospects as well. Good job.

Hell Yeah Good Job GIF by HBO Max

3 Likes

Don’t be boring Mr. Peabody. Somebody might run their time machine Delorean into your barn.

The best QBs the Lions could have drafted in 2021 were Mac Jones and Justin Fields. In 2022 it was Kenny Pickett.

I’m sure 2023 will finally give you what you want.

1 Like

But this isn’t what Risdon is saying, go back and watch the video again. He clearly states that the Lions aren’t drafting a DE because of the players we have, Hutch, Paschal, Cominsky, etc.

Also, I feel like Cominsky played inside more than outside, am I wrong?

3 Likes

They moved them all around. It confused me as well when he first said this to me, I’ve heard this sound bite several times in conversations. But I trust my dude, He did say they might add someone later but early they like what they have over the guys in the first. Maybe those guys are not as good as we think.

1 Like

I thought my question was pretty good. And succinct. :crazy_face:

I think he is small. And perhaps I am making too big of a deal out of his “weakness” that people are downplaying, but I see him as small at the point of attack, and wonder how he would hold up against NFL tackles. But I didn’t see the what others saw in TJ Watt, I’ll own that, and he got HUGE and I didn’t see it coming. I saw JJ happening just bc I love love love those high motor insane hair on fire kind of guys……I can’t honestly explain it but something about Anderson makes me nervous. Same w carter.

JJ is huge and roided up. His connection to TJ can’t be denied, including the scheme. I think Will Anderson can thrive in a rush LB scheme like the Steelers.

My assessment of Anderson is that he is a 7 sack kind of a guy in the NFL. He can take advantage of an offenses mistakes, but he is not good enough to force the action. If he finds himself on the right team that schemes him to the QB, he could find a couple of 12 or 14 sack type seasons. But the 5 sack difference between 7 and 12 isn’t adding to the team. Its just the same 5 sacks that chould have been gotten by other players if they were schemed to the QB.

1 Like

Agreed. I could see him in the same role. Outside rush……3/4 defense. I’m worried about a traditional DE role.

1 Like

Early in the season yes played mostly inside when Harris was healthy, late in the season he was playing defensive end and starting opposite Hutch more often. Commish can set the edge on early downs well and then moves inside on passing downs, which allows him to play a ton of snaps. During the defensive turnaround he was playing 75% of the defensive snaps for the last 7 or 8 games of the season.

Check out the snap counts for the commish in the 2nd half of the season. Sure hope we can keep him.

3 Likes

That’s the thing about AR is any idea we have how he translates is a giant assumption. Will he be able to correct his mechanics and become an accurate QB? None of us know. It’s why I don’t want to take a wild card QB project at 6OA. Too big a risk

Interestingly I’m at a show at this very moment looking at the time machine Delorean

5 Likes

My next door neighbor in the late 80s/early 90s had one.

3 Likes

Get in brother!! And pick me up asap, I wanna head back a few decades, the machines are taking over. Hard pass on AI.

1 Like

Nope! And apparently, he liked it. He wants to come back.

2 Likes

Just caught a glimpse of Michael J Fox. And his dream truck

3 Likes

When an athlete first QB is known for being inaccurate, chances are he always will be. It’s not a thing that traditionally can be fixed.

1 Like

See now I want to draft Levis just so we can nickname him Lettuce. Is that not top notch draft process? lol

I’m thinking until we see what happens in FA we really have no idea where we are going in the draft.

Yeah I’m not a big fan of the edge options at 6 anyway. Still would rather go CB and I still think Gonzalez is a much cleaner prospect(and 2 years younger) than Witherspoon even though Witherspoon has the attitude that the staff likes.

1 Like

I’m fine with Witherspoon as long as Holmes picks him because he’s the best player and not because he’s a corner.

Personally, I don’t see any corner that stands out at 6 but this is a case of “Trust in Holmes” if that’s the route he takes, he’s starting to earn that trust.
I do think there’s a possibility he trades up for Carter or Anderson, he’s always itching for trade ups.

1 Like