Jets bench Zach Wilson in favor of Mike White

Lions play the Jets December 18. Let’s hope they’re in disarray (or, even better, freefall), heading into that game.

2 Likes

Just another cautionary tale for all the draft QB’s in the first round early fellas!

Benched in year 2 after being the 2nd pick overall, good luck going back to Wilson later on in the season or next year now. Yes, he’s struggling, but benching him is how you ruin any chance at development and crush any confidence he had left. And let’s be honest the Jets might make the playoffs, but they are going to get killed in the playoffs no matter who is playing QB.

5 Likes

The problem seems to be that, in his desire to be great, Wilson has lost sight of the things needed to be ordinary. The magical moments — no-look throws, sidearm missiles, etc. — don’t just happen. They’re the product of checking the boxes on the fundamentals over and over and over again.

Recently, Wilson hasn’t been doing that. From bad footwork to issues with accuracy on short, easy throws to bad decisions when it comes to going through the progressions, Wilson wasn’t getting it done.

2 Likes

I expect him next week. Just needs a little wake up call. I would expect a few pressers where he “understands”, “wants to compete”, “doing everything I can to help the team win”, “working with White to help prepare him for Sunday” and “practicing like I’ll be the starter so that if my name is called I’ll be ready”.

A dose of humility and more positive canned responses.

3 Likes

They are playing a horrible Bears defense, so White will probably do decent and the Jets are likely to win at home, especially with Fields maybe being out. Then you are going to go back to Wilson on the road vs the 1st place Vikes, followed by @ the Bills!? I doubt it.

1 Like

Wilson didn’t forget how to play football in two years.

If the Jets are ready to move on, if I’m the Lions, I’m all ears.

3 Likes

We’ll see, bro. You know these things go. Saleh’s just trying to get through to the kid.

2 Likes

Wilson will probably be back Dec 18th and throw for 400 yards and 4 TD’s! See the schedule. haha

Oh boy, huh? We’ll see. That’s a game you want to get an early lead on and just keep the foot on the gas.

1 Like

3 Likes

Nah, after losing Breece Hall, the Jets offense hasn’t been the same.

3 Likes

Yea, it’s a huge factor. Another major factor is Wilson and the Jets offense got Belichick’d in 2 of the last 3 games. No idea how they make a schedule where you play the same team twice in 3 weeks, but that is what happened. The Jets managed a combined 20 points in the 2 games and Wilson was dreadful in those 2 games.

The old man continues to shut offenses down. Just like he shutout the Lions. The Pats are 2nd in the NFL in points allowed per game with complete studs like Tavai taking a ton of snaps. Unreal coach BB is. Giving up under 17 points per game in 2022 is seriously impressive with all the rules favoring the offenses.

Now they benched Wilson before playing one of the worst defenses in NFL in the Bears, which is where he could have got some confidence back. Not smart IMO

1 Like

They had to do it. It’s not just Wilson struggling, he took zero accountability for his poor play and has his receivers and the defense pissed at him and dividing the room because he’s acting like an entitled brat (which was a big knock on him.in college btw). Not to mention that he’s been actively hurting their team with poor play.

Saleh really had no choice, especially with the season in the balance, to make the change now.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree with this take, but Saleh has to keep in mind BB does this to young QB’s. Shit he does it to most QB’s. Would the Jets have done any better with White @ QB vs BB in 2 of the last 3 games, I doubt it.

I don’t see Wilson getting another chance this season, hard to go back to him now when the locker room isn’t behind him. The takeaway here to me is be very careful drafting QB’s early in the draft.

3 Likes

The Belichick comment is accurate but this is more about locker room stuff than anything. Look at Garrett Wilson’s comments. The other Wilson is a problem and needs to be humbled.

I actually admire Saleh for sending this message, I think it could serve to help Wilson if anything if he’s willing to learn from it. He’s been coddled his whole life, time to man up and take on some accountability.or he can continue to think he’s gods gift to football and watch his career spiral down the toilet. Up to you Zack.

2 Likes

Lets hope Wilson decides he wants more MILF time and asks Aidan about his mom during warmups…

4 Likes

Lions should trade Goff to the Jets :wink:

Agreed, but isn’t this also a knock on the Jets evaluation process…like you said Wilson was known for this in college. They chose him over Lance, Fields, and Mac Jones.

2 Likes

I mean in the second half they had 2 yards not sure white could do worse than that haha

3 Likes

Haha fair point, but his offense scored more points than the Lions did!

1 Like