Jim Caldwell vs Dan Campbell

caldwell was a good coach. He brought a team to the Super Bowl as head coach, and won a Super Bowl with another team as the Offensive coordinator.

He knew what he was doing. And for the most part, he got those teams overachieve given the talent overall

Except, Caldwell couldn’t run the ball and everyone hated his offensive line coach?

Jim is a coordinator. Not a leader.

Monty Williams at best.

Every player respected him and played hard for him. I’d say he was a pretty good coach and leader

He’s not Dan Campbell. But he had that team over achieving and didn’t deserve to be fired

Calvin spoke about this recently. He was in the slot 2011-2013. When Caldwell arrived (with Lombardi) in 2014 they moved him back outside. He said he loves the slot and those were his most productive years. But the staff wanted him outside to open other things up inside.

I would reverse that. Jim is a leader, not a coordinator. He had a decent run for half of a season taking over someone else’s offense. He only has one year of full time coordinator experience and it didn’t go well. It was the lowest ranked offense in the history of the Ravens franchise.

1 Like

100% agreed.

From what it seems, I think Dan is actually a stronger Xs and Os coach than Caldwell. However, clearly neither are the Kyle Shanahan type to will a team forward with the technicals of offense. Both require good coordinator partners.

Aside from Batboy not giving him much help, I think Jim’s downfall was his loyalty to sub-par staff. Guys like Lombardi hung around way too long, where Dan has shown several instances of getting rid of assistant coaches who he doesn’t feel are getting the job done.

1 Like

I am not sure who wanted him there but CJ is on record as saying he loved playing the slot. I wish I could find the interview/discussion but he basically said that coming out of the slot added a ton of catches and opened up the field for him. I want to say that he preferred playing in the slot.

How do you make the case ? bQ inherited a good team with an experienced coach
A Super Bowl winning QB

He started with more than many
Didn’t even need to rebuild
But also as GM he could’ve rebuilt and really he did - there was a lot of turnover to Patricia as the rebuilt with their guys.

BQ might’ve done some good behind scenes and setting up lions like a more pro team -and structure
But his moves
Destroyed a team with talent
Hired the worst coach in history dang near

It was terrible. I don’t know how you can separate the outcome from
His leadership.

Bella Thorne Wait GIF by NETFLIX

I agree about him not needing fired. I hated that decision then and only now accept it because of Dan. It’s hard to believe the mindset that took us from 0-16 to “9-7 isn’t good enough.” Granted, we wanted playoff wins, but I think Jim could have done fine with a competent front office

I seem to remember alot of injuries on the Oline and veteran departures. Ray Rice had nagging injuries all year too. Not sure I’d pin the blame on the OC

It was the worst offensive performance in the HISTORY of the franchise. Jim was out of his element. I know that they call it the Peter Principle when someone gets promoted to the point of incompetence. Then they go back to the level they are most competent at. I assume there must be a term that describes Caldwell, where he is more competent at a level above or below OC but not OC.

Matt Birk retiring with Gino Gradkowski trying to take over along with Oher deciding to be one of the worst tackles in the league didn’t help things

Flacco was constantly under pressure, the receivers couldn’t get open and Ray Rice couldn’t create yards

Look at the Rams 2021 and 2023 vs 2022 to see how much poor Oline play can effect an offense

Were any of those Rams teams the worst in the history of the franchise?

I don’t know but they had a worse year

2022 Rams
Points For: 307 (18.1/g) 27th of 32

2013 Ravens
Points For: 320 (20.0/g) 25th of 32

And it was for similar reasons. Their veteran center also retired and injuries and poor performance from the tackles. Also nagging injuries to some skill players

Sometimes as a coach or coordinator you can only do so much

Rod Marinelli approves of this message.

2 Likes

Exactamundo

I loved Jouq. Was hoping Mikel was the next him.

They didn’t have the worst year in the history of the franchise. The Ravens with Caldwell as OC did. I really like Caldwell but he is not a coordinator. He has been a head coach 3 different times and a QB coach 5 different times. He has only been an offensive coordinator once…and there is a reason for that.

4 Likes

rams are also 60 years Older. but tell me what’s worse - To have the worst offensive season in the history of the Baltimore Ravens. Or have a worse season than the worst offensive season in the history of the Baltimore Ravens.

Sometimes Players leaving, injuries to your o line injuries to your running back and injuries to your wide receivers can derail an offense.

I don’t think it’s fair to pin It on Caldwell. And if you want to give him all the fault for that year, then conversely, you should give him all the credit for turning around the offense the year before. And winning a Super Bowl - As the coordinator.

Technically, yes, you can say he was a terrible GM by how it all ended. It’s easy to speak in hindsight. But to be fair… he did draft Decker, Jackson, Ragnow, and Glasgow. Hockenson is one of the best TE’s in the NFL, and played very good here. Marvin Jones was a great singing. Flowers was a good player. Jeff Okudah was rated by everyone as the best CB prospect in “years”. Swift is a great player, but injury prone. Teez was hig biggest F-up. He even drafted JRM. He hired a HC from the most winning franchise in football. MP is the one that destroyed the team.

I’m not sticking up for BQ. I’m not saying he was good. I’m so happy how things are now, but I’m just being fair about it.

We all have our opinions on Caldwell, but I remember being so upset when he was hired. I thought he was the worst HC i’ve ever seen when he coached the Colts. I remember Peyton Manning was complaining on the sidelines. He was horrible after that SB run. The Colts firing him without even giving him a chance tells you everything. Him not being a HC now tells you everything also.

2 Likes