JK Dobbins sitting out for new contract

Didn’t realize that Dobbins played so well down the stretch. A couple of us were very high on him before the draft. But, he’s had tremendous difficulty staying healthy.

Lions didn’t really have to worry about Swift holding out, but they solved that problem when they drafted his replacement.

btw, I’d ignore that second to last paragraph. Another poorly reasoned opinion by Florio.

2 Likes

It’s very interesting. It’s so easy to compare NFL contracts to other player contracts. It makes sense, that’s where the market is. But then, I see sentences like this:

“No running back may get more screwed this year than Dobbins this year, if he performs like he did in the final weeks of 2022 but gets less than $80,000 per week for his efforts, risks, and sacrifices.”

And I can’t help but roll my eyes. Efforts, risk, and sacrifices? Come on now.

Effort? Yes, for sure. Risks? He’s not on the front lines of a war. Sacrifices? He is extremely busy for 5 months out of the year playing and practicing for a game, and then gets significant time off the rest of it. There’s a lot of deployed soldiers making much less than $80,000/year, and this guy wants to drum up sympathy for $80,000/week?

I get what the piece was trying to say, but man… that last bit did not hit well.

6 Likes

Dobbins has like two four to 6 game stretches of good not great play. By all means, throw the armored car at him, Florio.

3 Likes

The “problem” with the RB position is the availability of talent. There are simply too many perfectly good backs available. However, younger guys who would normally play RB are now trying to move to other positions because of how undervalued what they do has become. So I am going to guess we will see a slight dip in talent at the position as a ripple effect of what’s going on in the NFL. CJ2K said if he could do it all over again he would switch to CB like his coaches wanted him to.

4 Likes

Reminder that it’s Florio saying this, not Dobbins.

I’d say this in Dobbins’ defense. He’s got 4 years of experience. He needs a fifth to qualify for health insurance.

Think about that for a minute: if you’re in the league for less than 5 years, with the high likelihood of having life-long health effects from your playing days, you’re ■■■■■■. That money would dry up quick.

Can’t blame these guys for trying to get what they can. Unfortunately for him, it’s the worst possible position for all of the above.

2 Likes

It’s still difficult for me to feel sympathy for someone that makes more than my annual salary per week.

4 Likes

The incoming sports deal that is going to be mind blowing is Ohtani’s next contract?

$550m?

3 Likes

If Ohtani gets as hot pitching like he has been hitting the last month, he has a chance to win the Triple Crown.

Twice. Hitting and pitching.

Cartoon No GIF by Scooby-Doo

Miggy and Verlander in the same body.
.Hes gonna get 550m, maybe more.

3 Likes

Yeah. I had at first typed 600m. I think relative to his sport he’s the best athlete of my lifetime so I get it. But we’re making a run at a $1B contract faster rate than I had envisioned.

2 Likes

Good article about nfl retirement programs

1 Like

Latest 2 for my Ohtani pile

2 Likes

Kind of hard to give him an extension when in his 3 years in the league (23 games), he had less carries than Jamaal Williams did last year for us.

I’d let him sit, no way do I give him a new contract with his history.

4 Likes

Any of us could get a life-long health problem based on work environment. When we leave the job after 4 years or 5 years or 15 years, and need a backiotomy, we don’t get free HC for life and the HC is just as costly for us as it is for the poor millionaires that didn’t save properly. No business can get 5 years of work out of someone and pay for their HC for the next 40-50 years. I won’t “blame” them for trying to get as much money as they can. I just won’t shed tears for them not getting free HC for life after 4 years at their job as physically demanding as it is.

4 Likes

I seem to recall a coach once saying “The best ability is availability.”

2 Likes

How old is he? I’ll be curious to see the length of that contract. It’s possible he could sign two of those before he retires. That kid is likely to become the next billionaire athlete if he is smart with his money.

1. This is the big one, contractvwise. He played 5 yrs in Japan before coming here.

It will be interesting to see if he wants a longer deal or a short one with a sky high annual payout, As he has a legitimate argument for sixty five million /year

1 Like

Ohtani is unreal, and he will probably get 500-600 million. But buyer beware. I don’t think what he’s doing is sustainable long term at all.

Imagine if he burns out his arm and then drops a surprise on the world…he can throw with the other arm just as well!!!

Haha he probably can!

WOW! That will be approaching Wembanyama $$$.