Jordan Davis at 2?

LOL - Honor thy root Chakra → Open the creation center!

1 Like

Well that just shows a lack of creativity.

1 Like

LOL - Yup!

I just couldn’t, in good conscience, take a defender at #2, that isn’t a 3 down player. He wasn’t even a 3 down player at UGA.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t hate it. If we go DE/DT in the first, I’d probably rather have Davis and Ebiketie/Ojabo than Thibs/Walker and Winfrey

1 Like

This isnt 1980. Teams throw on 1st and 2nd down now.

LOL Yup. I think he’ll have a “pitch count” as a rook. He’ll improve though. Needs to increase stamina and strength.

This is my opinion on this draft and Davis.

If you approach this draft from the point of view that there aren’t any superstars, but there are a lot of solid ones that can help you, I think that’s the best way to approach this class. If you stop looking at 2OA in terms of, “We HAVE to find a Franchise Cornerstone” and start asking, “Who can Help our glaring deficiencies the most?”, Davis starts to make a lot of sense.

Throw projections out the window and examine the weaknesses of the team. Linebackers that are not getting to the point of attack cleanly, run defense that is getting shredded, a defensive front that is allowing interior gashing. That’s not winning football. That allows your opponent to control the clock and keep the entire defense off balance by trying to defend against the entire playbook on every down.

What’s different when you project Davis? You project to take away the interior running game from your opponents. You force them to the outside and to screens, you take away that which is hurting the most. More stops on 3rd and short, put the ball back in the offensive lines hands a couple more times per game, it can have a huge impact on game flow.

Is Davis a finished product, or capable of more :thinking:. That’s a critical question. I would put his floor at Gilbert Brown. A solid, if unspectacular run-stuffing DT who will perform well in that role until his back and/or knees give out. His ceiling, imo, is undefined, but if he were to drop 25lbs and improve his habits, I could see a Warren Sapp type of impact POSSIBILITY. That’s somewhat irrelevant, because this defensive line could absolutely use a Gilbert Brown. If he became more, great, but I’m fine with his floor relative to the overall talent available within this class.

Campbell is a Disciple of Parcells. He knows where games are won and lost. I for one believe that if the staff and front office are satisfied with the work ethic and disposition, Davis is likely higher on their board than most people think.

6 Likes

Excellent post - well put!

1 Like

REM, we know you’ve been kidnapped by BigNatty. Try to leave us some more clues, so we can extract you!

1 Like

Alliance of handsome bald dudes :muscle::sunglasses:

Love the willingness to co all covert black ops and launch a mission. LoL. Former special forces.

If he becomes a poor mans suh i would be happy. Suh was 2 things on the field… a pass rusher but he also ate 2 blockers all the time.
If davis can control the run game inside and take on 2 blockers on 2 downs thats good enough for me for him being the pick at 2.

1 Like

Well hot dog that’s a fun highlight film.

I would not be upset with him at 2. I think this draft class is so screwy a lot of guys are gonna go where they aren’t expected. I predict a very goofy draft!

We’ll see though. But man, if he has the drive and the desire and he can keep his weight under control, he could be the next warren sapp

2 Likes

If we can’t trade down, we have to pick someone. Right?
I’d rather take a potential starter over a backup QB.

2 Likes

The 2OA needs to improve this team in 2022 not 2023 or beyond, that is what later round picks are used for.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Pull the trigger, Holmes! Give him an offseason or 2 with Fox and see what happens!

1 Like

I wonder how a part time player, low QB pressure rate DL can win these 2 awards……

Outland Trophy - The Outland Trophy is awarded to the best college football interior lineman in the United States as adjudged by the Football Writers Association of America

The Chuck Bednarik Award - The Chuck Bednarik Award is presented annually to the defensive player in college football as judged by the Maxwell Football Club to be the best in the United States.

Just curious to hear everyone’s opinion.

1 Like

It’s so dark here, and someone keeps saying “it puts the lotion on its shiny head or it gets the hose again.”

4 Likes

I think he would be available if we traded back.

Mocks arent the end all, but he is there at Philly or NOLAs picks evey time.

I just want a trade down. Badly.

My luck, Jags will Jag and Hutch will be there at 2.

1 Like