Jordan Davis at 2?

These tend to be at least partially popularity contests. High profile player who is obviously talented for top defense on #1 team goes a lot farther than NFL projections.

If you’re looking for omens, the last time the Lions picked 2OA and the Texans picked 3OA, the Lions picked homegrown product Charles Rogers and the Texans selected HOF Andre Johnson.

1 Like

LOL - fantastic!

Jordan Davis…if he wants to…can be the beat DT we have ever seen…

But its like another poster said…

How serious is he about football?

The guy dont like football.

After reflection, Jordan Davis is gonna be a bust.

He will float around the league for a little bit and make more money in one year than the average human makes in their lifetime…

But he wont ever be great or even good.

He wont strengthen his lower body and play with leverage.

Sorry…he is a man-child. Good luck to whoever drafts him because he is a lesser Jordan Phillips.

My opinion…but if Sewell took him to the woodshed???

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

No man. No.

Valenti and Rico just like to throw sh*t on the wall to see what will stick. I like Davis but he plays about 50% of the snaps, has a poor pressure rate, low sack rate and is a helluva run defender. That is NOT a #2 overall profile.

You can get run-stuffing DTs with better penetration in 2 and 3 rounds.

1 Like

Im not worried about Davis playing limited snaps.

In the NFL he will get the snaps right. He has too.

However, when you look in his eyes you can see and immature man-child.

Genetics plays a part in this whole thing…
Jordan Davis…sky is the limit.

But…in my opinion…he does not have the eye of the tiger. Maybe when he is 25 years of age if will click. But…thats an if.

Im glad i posted on him …because it made me take a hard look

1 Like

I love Jordan Davis.

I agree with the reservations about him - he’s not a 3 down player, his conditioning needs work, he doesn’t rush the passer nearly enough. He seems like a massive kid.

This said, he’s arguably one of the most reliable combination of safe floor and high ceiling in the draft at an underrated position of need and impact. I’d also say that you kind of expect your defensive tackles to rotate anyhow and adding Davis to McNeil and hopefully an improved Levi would give the Lions the foundation at D-line that they enjoy at O-line. In terms of his maturity - I quite like the fact he loves his mum! He reminds me a little of Penei who has also been described as a man-child and also carries some puppy fat. He’s also already been a cornerstone of a championship winning historic defense and his testing indicates he’s at least capable of significant improvement with an RAS score second only to Calvin Johnson.

I can’t see them taking him at #2. He’d be a prime target for me though were they to trade down out of #2 or up out of #32. If we use the notion of ‘which player I’d least like to see the Packers select’ - for me it would be Jordan Davis.

4 Likes

He SMILES or looks like a massive kid.

He seems like a fine young man. I wish Thibs was as grounded.

I agree with what you’ve said, just wanted to clean that point up a bit.

1 Like

Can he play more than 20-25 snaps a game?

Is he anything more than Damon Harrison?

Not at No. 2 overall.

If the Lions swing a trade down for Nos. 16 & 19, then maybe.

1 Like

So much not good enough for me. I think we’ve got most of the above covered with Alim McNeil. I know we got mowed over a few times and it sucked, but McNeil has potential as a really good run defender and guy who will command double teams. What we need, is the other thing. Pass rush. Levi needs to step up in a very big way, and IMHO we need to give him some major competition for snaps. Wyatt at 32 would be awesome. Wyatt/McNeil/Levi/ inside and use that #2 pick for an EDGE who can put the pressure on.

3 Likes

So true. I think he’s gonna have a rough rookie campaign, and I think he’ll have to develop strength, as well as technique & especially stamina. I think his rookie year will be tough.

I see some truth to this. He does look like a young soul to me. He’s not the flat out emotional leader, but he very badly wants to fit in. Football is how he meets his needs in many ways, and it’s part of his identity. Think of a little kid that is excited because he made something for his dad…“look what I did,” when he presents it. It’s sort of like that. He badly wants to belong and wants to be there for his teammates. It’s not like “I’m the man, follow my lead energy,” like J-Will has, it’s more like “I’ll kick ass to stick up for my guys,” energy.

He’s not the lead energy, but his talent will impact games, and when he makes amazing plays, his teammates will celebrate with/for him, and that is his fuel. His energetic impact on the team will be really good, provided he doesn’t get hurt.

My biggest concern with him is injury, until he gets his conditioning right.

I think he’s a B+ locker room guy. He’s not a tantrum throwing child, but he is a young and influential energy. Truthfully, our locker room would influence the ■■■■ out of him and he would be a nice piece in buying in and building the culture.

He could fail if he goes to the wrong place. If he is asked to be the energetic lead on a team, he is not suited for that (not right now, anyway).

If he comes to a team like ours, he will fit in perfectly and be a massive part of the culture.

I dont’ want my QB to be wired like him, but I’m perfectly fine with my DT being wired like him. Would I prefer Suh energy? …■■■■ YES! Could this guy work out very, very nicely? …not only could he, but I predict it. Sign that giant MF’r up and lets start working on some conditioning.

I’m not worried aobut his weight, because with the strength he’ll be adding, he may not even lose. Let his body be what it wants to be, as long as he is super-healthy and well conditioned.

Bring the pain, big boy! Rooting for you. Davis COULD fail, if drafted into the wrong situation, but in Detroit, he would murder ass. He’s perfect for us.

1 Like

Love this post. I would seriously consider him at 2, if I were the Lions. I would be elated, if we somehow ended up w/him, especially if it was via trade back.

Yup - many ways to carry “kid” energy.

I agree with everything you say here, but would like to add…

1. Alim was touted as a pass rusher too. Brad and Dan both said he’s not a one-dimensional run stopper…this dude can get after the QB
  2. I feel Joradn’s ability to pressure is a) underrated & b) will improve
  3. COMBINE Alim and Jordan’s abilities. 2 dudes in the middle that demand a double team. They improve upon e/o’s strengths. They both become better pass rushers because of each other. It’s like Tim Duncan and David Robinson in the paint…forget about going down there. They would collapse a pocket and consume the middle of the field together. Add pass rushers into that scenario.

danny mcbride GIF

This is the message that sends to opposing OLs

Big daddy and little daddy or whatever the lions big two were at one time

1 Like

I’d change my name to sugar daddy, If I played next to him. Most known for handsomeness and investing that NFL money to help the world.

I don’t disagree at all. I really like Jordan Davis’s personality. He seems like a gentle giant and a good guy. I like the fact he loves his mum. For some this might not suggest he’s got enough ambition or a killer instinct - but it doesn’t say that to me. It says to me he’ll do anything for those that care about him. It says he’ll stay where he feels loved and valued.

4 Likes

Yup → you can see he is driven by Love and certainty more than anything. His emotional drivers are of zero concern. He’s gonna do well for his families and his teammates. it is his “why,” and he’s pretty connected to it. Super-supportive guy that would seamlessly support and fit into the culture. While he’s not the absolute leader of the culture, he’s a damn fine support of it, in the way he shows up. Im concerned that Thibz could disrupt the culture. This cat would fit right in.

Are we having daddy issues?! :flushed::crazy_face::laughing:

1 Like

Big Daddy and Big Baby

5 Likes

On goal line, sure, otherwise it’s just going to be half back toss to totally eliminate 3/4ths of your Dline because you aren’t getting McNeil and Davis moving laterally that well and they’ll be slowing down the end that’s away from the play. FOR A NOSE TACKLE, yes McNeil and Davis move very well. But they are still going to be NT’s. No one is going to mistake what these guys do as 3t material. You need to be Gerald McCoy to go this high and Davis just isn’t that kind of guy. If you’re lucky he’s Holoti Ngata or Vita Vea. Great players, not top 3 OA type players. IMHO of course!

2 Likes